Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Zenon View Post
    so we have this version and the soon Kor English version, so in a nut shell, should we give a shit?
    This sums up my thoughts. Presuming the source is right about it .

Why care at all if they intend to release an eng text version for english speaking asian countries?

Fucking WIN WIN if ya ask me
    -=Role Players Union=-If your into rp light heavy or otherwise please join up

Quote Originally Posted by MetalDude View Post
    You lost EXP even with Scape Dolls and it was a % penalty which pretty much made anything past 150+ a fucking terrible loss. Most private servers remove it because it's just plain dumb.
    Yeah, that sounds right. You would still have the exp penalty even with scape dolls. I wish we had that in PSO2. Even a 1% or less exp penalty would be awesome.
    Quit PSO2

I don't know. Death penalties work in place of games where you're legitimately punished for self-failure. In the case of PSO, you would die quickly because of bad positioning. In PSO2, it's because 5 things simultaneously decided to attack you within the same frame of flinchlock, resulting in a death you had little control over.

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    Well, you can't have any difficulty at all if you can just throw yourself endlessly at anything long enough and eventually succeed.

Unless you want the only penalty to be time and opportunity costs.
    What?

You pretty much just described Dark Souls in that one sentence. And many people consider it one of the most difficult games of this generation (though admittedly that's not saying much).

Even death itself IS a time cost. Making the penalty steeper just costs you more time (and time is money, opportunity, etc., so saying both of those is just redundant).

Losing a massive amount of time or, really, anything because you made a few mistakes is not fun or encouraging or even remotely beneficial. All it really tests is your patience. Some people enjoy this, but frankly, they are masochists. They're likely the same people who enjoy grinding and affixing because, yes, all those systems do is test your patience. That's it. How fun! (/sar)

Mechanical difficulty is far more useful. Having to come up with a strategy in terms of kill order, having to know when to dodge and when to move, knowing a particular enemy's tells and attack patterns, these are all aspects of difficulty that can be improved as opposed to simply stacking penalty on top of penalty on players for making mistakes.

You should want to add enough failure points where a player can make mistakes and is punished for it such that they feel like they accomplished something at the end, but you do not want to penalize them so harshly for making mistakes that they don't get a chance to learn and improve (or give up first, for that matter). I would like to have a game mode that actually gets me to start sweating, not because I'm concerned about losing progress, but because I have to make a lot of rapid decisions simply in order to survive. If the game could ever get to that point, I'd never put it down. Honestly.

Uh, not exactly, since everything respawns if you die, and you lose all the souls you had collected up to that point if you die again.

I mean how it is in PSO2, if you die, you lose zero progress. You revive and you are exactly where you were before. You don't have to clear anything all over again.

It's like playing any arcade game with infinite credits. Well, some of them restart the level, so let's not count those.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    What?

You pretty much just described Dark Souls in that one sentence. And many people consider it one of the most difficult games of this generation (though admittedly that's not saying much).

Even death itself IS a time cost. Making the penalty steeper just costs you more time (and time is money, opportunity, etc., so saying both of those is just redundant).

Losing a massive amount of time or, really, anything because you made a few mistakes is not fun or encouraging or even remotely beneficial. All it really tests is your patience. Some people enjoy this, but frankly, they are masochists. They're likely the same people who enjoy grinding and affixing because, yes, all those systems do is test your patience. That's it. How fun! (/sar)

Mechanical difficulty is far more useful. Having to come up with a strategy in terms of kill order, having to know when to dodge and when to move, knowing a particular enemy's tells and attack patterns, these are all aspects of difficulty that can be improved as opposed to simply stacking penalty on top of penalty on players for making mistakes.

You should want to add enough failure points where a player can make mistakes and is punished for it such that they feel like they accomplished something at the end, but you do not want to penalize them so harshly for making mistakes that they don't get a chance to learn and improve (or give up first, for that matter). I would like to have a game mode that actually gets me to start sweating, not because I'm concerned about losing progress, but because I have to make a lot of rapid decisions simply in order to survive. If the game could ever get to that point, I'd never put it down. Honestly.
    Basically making it harder but worth to play even if failed and that that is an accomplishment instead of making something so hard that it isn't even worth investing time into it.

Pretty much sounds like the traditional MMO raids where you encounter challenging courses but its fun and a learning experience worth to do. Comparing to something like trying to go 18-0 and win the super bowl where you know that 1 game in the playoffs will screw you over and that it ain't fun to loose in the end.
    Last edited by strikerhunter; Sep 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnLucky View Post
    Uh, not exactly, since everything respawns if you die, and you lose all the souls you had collected up to that point if you die again.

I mean how it is in PSO2, if you die, you lose zero progress. You revive and you are exactly where you were before. You don't have to clear anything all over again.

It's like playing any arcade game with infinite credits. Well, some of them restart the level, so let's not count those.
    That's not really the point.

PSO2 is far lighter on the death penalty (unless you play solo, in which case the death penalty is horrifyingly overwrought in a boss fight since it fails the entire run for you), and frankly, I don't care to see this change. It's completely unnecessary. Add more points where it's possible for the entire team to die and fail instead of making revives more difficult or something and that would go a long way to making things better.

Why not just limit the amount of moons instead?

Like say they made a really fair boss. It has well telegraphed attacks, which all only hit once and won't juggle you or stun you at all, you might even survive one if you have good gear. But make enough consecutive mistakes, either tactical or mechanical, and you will die. It doesn't have unending health, but it's not a joke fight, and gets harder in stages.

How does any of that matter if you can literally get hit by every single attack and just get back up to keep spamming Over End?

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd bump this one with some new information:

SEGA has shut down all official Yakuza sites outside of Japan.

In case anyone still held hope that a Western version was a thing that still existed in some form or fashion, this is yet another nail in the coffin.