Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSO2 Music Swap

Default PSO2 Music Swap

Forward

Some of you may remember I put out on these forums the stickied PSU Music Replacement Guide a while back. When the PSO2 Alpha got leaked, I jumped on the opportunity grab the music and see what could be similarly done. We’ve known about the Sympathy system for quite some time, but now we have a working swap method and we can get into the deep inner workings of how this system works. A little history first though. (TL;DR scroll to Music Swap)

ADX

As part of the release of Phantasy Star Online SEGA chose to bring a type of game code on that would allow the streaming of music data in real time called ADX by CRIWare. This would also allow the music to transition back and forth without the music missing a beat as well as loop endlessly. This type of system had been created many years prior as the iMUSE system by Michael Land (employed by LucasArts) which appeared in games such as Secret of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion. However while that system was limited to just midi files, ADX allowed standard audio files (wave or otherwise) to be played in sync with each other through compression into a .adx file type which enabled seamless looping and transitions. This also allowed PSO to load new weapon sounds in real time without having the music stutter.

ADX has been tied to the series (along with many other Sega series) for a long time and one of the benefits of using this format was the low CPU overhead it required. With the release of Phantasy Star Universe, SEGA continued to use ADX, however the music no longer transitioned for battles. Instead tracks would simply play from start to end and have a loop point. The music was also encoded to prevent it from being played outside the game. This was eventually defeated however.

ADX2

Much of the music in PSO2 is using the new ADX2 format. The new format improves on the previous ADX by allowing layered music tracks which play multiple tracks of music at the same time. By doing this and through implementation of the Sympathy system the game is able to add in different rhythm or musical elements in real time. Each track is broken into multiple segments. Forest back in alpha for instance had about 200 segments. Lilipa Quarry has 1971!

So what does this mean to us, the player?
    · Faster music transitions
    · Music can change dynamically as the situation requires.
    · Incredibly hard to extract and put back together for playback because you’re no longer dealing with 1 file that needs to be decoded

In order for the game to read the music data properly, the data needs to be stored in a CPK container which has all of the music in one file. ADX2 and Sympathy will then read the files and play them as needed. For playback outside the game you would need to extract the CPK container into the individual files that make it up, decode the HCA audio into WAV, and reconstruct the files.

This may seem like a hopeless situation, however not every track in the game uses sympathy, and that's where we can do some swaps.

Music Swap

Up until recently there was no way to actually hear the audio in an HCA file. We now have a working music swap method because a way to convert .HCA to .WAV was found. It involves switching files around, very similar to how the first version of the PSU music swap worked. However there are a few limitations.

So far only jukebox tracks have proven to be successful with a swap. Trying to swap in a Non-Jukebox track into a Jukebox Track may cause silence on that track instead. For example when I tried to swap in the CODE: Episode 2 track it did not work. Just keep trying and you'll find one eventually that works. Also you need to close the game before you make each swap or gameguard may throw a fit.

The method is simple. Look at the Non-Packed HCA tab in the spreadsheet in the .zip attached to this post and figure out what track you want to insert onto a jukebox track. From there back up the original file and overwrite it with the new one you want to use.

There are some missing tracks on the list, mostly because I don’t own the discs. If anyone can help me fill out the list I’d appreciate it.

Of course this doesn’t allow you to replace stage and boss music. That’s the ultimate goal here. I have a method of swapping music from stages in development, however it has hit a technical snag and I won’t be able to test it until we have a way of converting from .wav to .hca. Supposedly the SDK for ADX2 provides a way to do this, however I have been unable to locate a copy of it. If you’d like to know more about how this process will work once there is a way to actually do it and I can confirm it works click below.

Spoiler!
    Last edited by PrinceBrightstar; Oct 6, 2013 at 09:11 AM.

Oooooh this is..really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    We threw our eyes away a long time ago.
    #coatl4173 on discord if you wanna squad up.

Default How neat is that?

That's pretty neat!
    PID: Dashmoww
    Team: EXPFULL (Manager)
    Fiona: 60/60 Ra/Hu
    Dashek: 50/50 Fo/Fi

does this mean we can replace de CODE : something audio?

i hate the voice.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

So, what file is that forest theme?

That's a reconstruction I had worked back on during alpha that inverted the placement of the rhythm from the battle theme to the calm theme.

Unfortuantely I don't know where the voice files are located. They don't seem to be within the HCA files. It could be another format.

Awww yissssss *Bird Man Hand Rub*

Bout to get down and dirty wit dis.

Sig by Gama

Does this work with Lobby music? There's only so much PSU event lobby music that I can take before I go crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kokonoe View Post
    Does this work with Lobby music? There's only so much PSU event lobby music that I can take before I go crazy!
    It should, though it might take an annoying amount of effort.

Default Could use some assistance.

All right, so I've experimented in the past with swapping the PSO2 Discs with others and that works perfectly, and at the same time, a PSO2 Disc counts as Lobby music so when you swap, let's say...PSO2 Wedding Music with Day Dawns, it does in-fact play that in the Lobby with no issues. It also is the easiest way since you don't have to use any programs to swap with other PSO2 Lobby music.

I'm trying to put custom music into the lobby, however I'm at a big of a snag here. I've noticed HCA2WAV converts HCA files to WAV files, and when I convert the PSO2 Discs/Lobby music into WAV it works, however, I notice that the file extension for these PSO2Discs/Lobby music is non existent. So, it's like, yeah, the HCA2WAV program works, but I'm entirely confused why the folders in the PSO2 folder have no extension at all.

I figured they were HCA files somehow, so I did, in-fact, find a program that does the opposite, convert WAV2HCA, and when it's done it has a .HCA file extension instead of a blank extension. So, just playing it in the win32 folder for swapping out music simply is not enough, I have to entirely remove the .HCA extension to make it a blank extension to replace PSO2 Disc/Lobby music.

So here's where I'm snagged. When I rename a .MP3 file or a .WAV file with the name of a PSO2 Disc/Lobby file's name and remove the extension, no sound happens at all, when I do it with .HCA file, sound does in-fact happen. However, the sound is jarbled and it sounds like the numbers falling down in the Matrix movies. It doesn't sound like a song or anything.

Any help with this?