Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSO(Trial Edition)(GC)DISC NOW HERE( YEA!)

I wanted to know if you really need a dial up modem on your gamecube just to try the games offline multi mode?I have the full game but trying out this demo is something i have wanted to do for along time and now i have the chance to get one of these rare trial edition disc and want to make sure i know what i need to do and have what i need
    to use it.Note:I only recently seen this story about neededing a modem to use this disc,I searched internet for info on this disc for
    many years and neededing a modem for the offline mode was new to me..
    Last edited by Saligun; Dec 14, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Raziel, Keeper of Secrets DarkShadowX's Avatar

I'm honestly not sure as I've never played on the trial disc.... And information on it is pretty scarce. It's really cool you have your hands on such a rare collectible though.
    PSO Veteran from DC Day 1. Better known as Outtrigger (DC) and Karsh (GC).
    PSU Veteran from Day 1. R.I.P. PSU, I thank you for all the memories!

Well it's currently in transit from japan and i wanted to be sure i had whatever i needed before it arrived so i could use it.This needing a modem to play it's offline multiplayer mode was info i had never had seen before a few days ago,so i ordered a gc modem just in case i need one to use it.This thing is rare and rarely found being sold so it wasn't cheap to buy.I'm trying to maximize my chance a doing something with it other then just hanging it on the wall as display object...

Yes, the trial game requires a 56k Modem (BBA won't even work) for it to even function offline.

Even though it wasn't asked, just as a preemptive answer to anyone who may ask, at this point in time, there is no server that the GC beta versions can connect to online. There is a server that supports DC/PC beta versions, but none that support GC beta.

Update..I Now have a GC(modem) but still am waiting for the PSO trial edition disc,I know i can't play the online part of this triail edition but it said i need this modem to even use the offline part so any ideas on why or what i need this for would help,also do you think the modem needs any info typed into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Saligun View Post
    Update..I Now have a GC(modem) but still am waiting for the PSO trial edition disc,I know i can't play the online part of this triail edition but it said i need this modem to even use the offline part so any ideas on why or what i need this for would help,also do you think the modem needs any info typed into it?
    No typed info, the game just checks to make sure it's there, similar to how the post-beta releases check for a modem or bba before activating the Online menu button.

This is purely speculation, but I'm thinking that the modem only requirement was to help weed out unwanted testers. At the beta point, a server stress test would have to be in order, as well as testing of any server errors. The offline portion would be pretty decent at this point, so the only thing that really needed testing was online functionality. How best to weed out the "unqualified" candidates for quality research? Put a modem block on it.

Honestly, I'd love to find an ISO of the trial edition, just for research on it's innards to unravel more of it's mysteries. When Cranberry got her copy in, I hammered her for as many details as I could get. I'm pretty sure she made a few youtube videos of the Beta disk if you want to go check those out for more information.

I only ever found 1 youtube video related to cranberry showing the trial disc but no videos of it's use by cranberry or anyone else for that fact.Could also use translation for the various menus and main menu options.
    Last edited by Saligun; Dec 14, 2013 at 03:06 PM.

UPDATE:After a 23 day wait,the PSO/GC/Trial Edition Disc is now in play...And far more usefull then stated info on it.Theres no online but that not why wanted it.It's offline more then i expected to be you can visit forest/Caves/Mines,(Multiplayer only)which is fine with me.You can upto 4 players in multi,All char types and classes are useable in this demo.Each classes starting items can't be droped or banked or sold from the looks of it(but we only been playing
    it for a short time so things could be found possibly doable with more longer play sessions)NOTE:It's all in jp so some thing still need to be figured out.I guessing the english version has similar menu layouts.So it souldn't be to hard to figure them out but because this is a trial and clearly there are game elements that are not in this demo it still will take play time with it to figure it's can and can't but thats the fun of being able to play this...
    Last edited by Saligun; Dec 14, 2013 at 03:34 PM.

Hucast w/no breakfast kevlar_pso's Avatar

Just out of curiosity, how much was it?

Well i got it from ebay(BIN)price 99.99.(free shipping)Sounds pricey right,well i have seen these this demo disc sell for much more then this plus since this is rarely found for sale it seem like a steal to get this for this price.Note:This came from a game shop in japan so maybe this is why the price was abit more reasonable...