Page 298 of 471 FirstFirst ... 198248288295296297298299300301308348398 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,980 of 4704

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post
    See, this shit weirds me out, because you already get LOADS of shit that caters to your tastes specifically.

Meanwhile, the only games that ever do the whole 'cuteness' thing are Korean or Japanese games, and apparently even that is too much for some people.
    While I agree with your post on a lot of points, I don't really think that 'cuteness' is the problem for Elins and similar characters. Let's disentangle 'cuteness', 'sexyness', and other things real quick.

Not a lot of purely 'cute' races/characters are actually that controversial. Popori from TERA? I don't see massive hate and complaints about them. Tarutaru/Lalafell from Final Fantasy MMOs? Nope, no controversy there. Hell, the latter probably look the youngest out of any MMO race and they really don't get much hate at all.

Can a race go for 'cuteness' and 'sexyness' at the same time? Sure. You'll run into varying degrees of this, although it's hit or miss and usually gets it's own small hatedom and eye-rolling (uh-huh, sure you made that Mithra because of the DEX). But nowhere to the degree of Elins.

Elins are super controversial because:

1. Thongs and bikinis*
    2. On a character that looks 6 years old
    3. With giant hips.
    4. Playerbase got MAD AS FUCK when said buttfloss became bootyshorts, adding several square inches of clothing to the model.
    5. To play a certain class, you HAVE to be an Elin. There is no other option.

*I'll concede right now that said clothing isn't unique to Elins in TERA, at all. And that it's ridiculously over the top on any female class.

Is it really so bad that there are other options out there for people who don't share your tastes?

For that matter, is it really IMPOSSIBLE for you to, you know, just acknowledge that your tastes are different without implying that those other guys are creeps for not sharing your more socially-acceptable tastes?
    For what it's worth, I can respect that someone's going for cute when they're making characters. I usually do give them benefit of the doubt.

Moving on...
    I mean, hell, not gonna lie, I find anyone who chooses to make their character with balloons on their chests to have, at the very least, misplaced priorities, with an undercurrent of creepiness from the simple fact that you're literally making a doll to spring a hard one over rather than anything resembling an interesting character.
    Yeah, I'll pretty much full on agree with this part.

I mean, it's obviously worse when the sexual focus is on someone that looks very underage. But hypersexualization just gets very old and cringe-worthy quickly. Elin was by far the worst, but I was still rolling my eyes pretty hard at all the other races.

Hell, I switched from comic book-tier proportions since it got pretty old and limited costume options too much. Pretty much anything new was cringey or just outright silly.
    Yet I choose not to tell people this because I know they don't fuckin' care to hear it (and besides that, I'm obviously a minority there anyway). It's not very difficult, you know. I just... don't do it. In fact, it takes negative effort! I can choose to spend that energy elsewhere, doing more productive/less asinine things. It's wonderful.
    I'd like more second opinions, but that might just be me.

There are exceptions, like that abomination up there, but those are exceptions for good reason (and I'm still only attacking the character design, not the maker for doing it). I will not make it a rule to ridicule you or Cherise or anyone else personally just because I find your tastes in character-making questionable.
    Well, cool, at least people can find common ground and remain civil!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    That's not better at all. Elins need to be purged in fire. They would have looked much better as adults, like originally intended.

But, yeah, Marinara is right. Enough talk of ghosts and goblins.
    Convincing copy pasta. Do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkure View Post
    While I agree with your post on a lot of points, I don't really think that 'cuteness' is the problem for Elins and similar characters. Let's disentangle 'cuteness', 'sexyness', and other things real quick.

Not a lot of purely 'cute' races/characters are actually that controversial. Popori from TERA? I don't see massive hate and complaints about them. Tarutaru/Lalafell from Final Fantasy MMOs? Nope, no controversy there. Hell, the latter probably look the youngest out of any MMO race and they really don't get much hate at all.

Can a race go for 'cuteness' and 'sexyness' at the same time? Sure. You'll run into varying degrees of this, although it's hit or miss and usually gets it's own small hatedom and eye-rolling (uh-huh, sure you made that Mithra because of the DEX). But nowhere to the degree of Elins.

Elins are super controversial because:

1. Thongs and bikinis*
    2. On a character that looks 6 years old
    3. With giant hips.
    4. Playerbase got MAD AS FUCK when said buttfloss became bootyshorts, adding several square inches of clothing to the model.
    5. To play a certain class, you HAVE to be an Elin. There is no other option.
    I like you! You understand cuteness~

Personally I only wear the less revealing clothing anyway, so I never had a problem with the censoring in my own choices. Mainly because I just want more cuteness covering my characters body <3

The issue for me was simply that I saw a group that was being discriminated against just for being "creepy" or "sick." I don't believe in "creepy" or "sick" anymore, simply "misunderstood."

I even find the more revealing outfits in both games fairly off putting, but the idea of taking them away to me limits expression, which in a way limits people's right to freedom of speech, even if in a very tangential way. I would rather let these "perverts" have their freedom of speech, rather than stifling it. This is because freedom of speech/expression is more important than people's want for comfortable environment.

To me limiting what a person's avatar can look like, is like making a law that makes certain items of clothing illegal.

/end rant

anyway~~~

Having fun with balloons:

Spoiler!
    Last edited by moeri; Sep 2, 2014 at 05:28 PM.

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

'cuteness' and 'sexyness' at the same
    Was I called

...............And back to the subject at hand
    Spoiler!

Popori from TERA? I don't see massive hate and complaints about them.
    Pimping Popori is ballsy as fuck, why would anyone complain!?

Quote Originally Posted by saraishadow View Post
    ...............And back to the subject at hand
    Spoiler!
    This looks nice, but personally I still can't move on from Misty Twintails because it's just that well-proportioned. Why is none of the original content hair that good?

The Ouka pony is awesome and that's pretty original. I don't normally save for hair, but these 2 are an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by moeri View Post
    I like you! You understand cuteness~

Personally I only wear the less revealing clothing anyway, so I never had a problem with the censoring in my own choices. Mainly because I just want more cuteness covering my characters body <3

The issue for me was simply that I saw a group that was being discriminated against just for being "creepy" or "sick." I don't believe in "creepy" or "sick" anymore, simply "misunderstood."

I even find the more revealing outfits in both games fairly off putting, but the idea of taking them away to me limits expression, which in a way limits people's right to freedom of speech, even if in a very tangential way. I would rather let these "perverts" have their freedom of speech, rather than stifling it. This is because freedom of speech/expression is more important than people's want for comfortable environment.

To me limiting what a person's avatar can look like, is like making a law that makes certain items of clothing illegal.

/end rant

anyway~~~

Having fun with balloons:

Spoiler!
    You know, I kinda agree with you. I'm not a big fan of revealing outfits in the game. Most of those I have are fairly modest. Was kinda obvious already with the Seras Alicia.

I do have a question in general though. This thread is mainly to post some outfit sets and look we have, right? More random or various screenshots, including the more cinematic kind I previously posted should be kept to the other screenshot threat, am I right?

In theory, yes. In practice, most people just crosspost both kinds to both threads.

I should have used a different hairstyle for these. I like Selvaria Long in motion, but it's not really that photogenic. Eh well. Now, if only Shironia had some cherry blossom weather...
    Spoiler!