Page 52 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24249505152535455 ... LastLast

Whats wrong with it? Looks good to me!

But then again, the most mundane functions are always the hardest to make. My inventory is probably one of my most complex systems.

Quote Originally Posted by qoxolg View Post
    Whats wrong with it? Looks good to me!

But then again, the most mundane functions are always the hardest to make. My inventory is probably one of my most complex systems.
    Indeed; coding menus and systems is way harder than gameplay.

Visually, I'm satisfied with the result, it even has an animation when it appears. I just was unable to find an easy coding to store the last 10 scores and then show them from highest to lowest, then when a higher score is stored, it should replace the one that is lower, but the lower one should be put down and so one till the lowest one is deleted so only 10 are kept.

I already found a coding method (in my head) to do the most pert, but the replaced score just gets deleted instead of pushed down.

And the tutorials online are kinda complicated for my level of coding and need time to study, so I decided to ditch the ranking system and polish the first stage for the demo.

And that's what I've doing today; added some debris

Busy doing nothing...

With a database that would be so easy, but yeah, with an array I wouldn’t know a clean solution. I’d probably make a temp array to store the ‘old’ ranking and then do a for loop 10 times using the counter of the loop for the array index.

my inventory system works with two arrays. One that stores the actual data and one that just builds up the interface items. That last array I always completely erase and rebuild every time the interface needs to be updated.

Just passing by, nice work going on here.

Pretty much what qoxolg says, you got to separate the data; the real leaderboard data, and the data only for display. Most often the display never uses the real data directly because of animation callback purposes and stuff. One way to do it is like, have the leaderboard data to dispatch that there are changes on the top 10, where the UI would listen and update the top 10 list (as display) in a cool interactive way. So don't worry about having multiple arrays to accomplish this.

Just for extra information if you're curious, this is what is called MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture, which is commonly used for data and UI interaction. The leaderboard data is the Model (whether it's fetched from internet, local db, text file, or even cache), the UI that utilizes those data to show the top 10 is called View, and the one who trigger changes of the data (your gameplay code) is the Controller.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SteveCZ; May 15, 2018 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks guys, I'll make sure to do more research about this method and see how it works.
    Busy doing nothing...

Instead of working on the damn ranking, I've enhanced the combo system:

Busy doing nothing...

Hi peeps!

Here's a video update of the 4th stage's beginning. Still a work in progress though:

Spoiler!
    Busy doing nothing...

Finally, the trailer is done:

The kickstarter alongside a demo gonna be released in the coming days, stay tuned!
    Busy doing nothing...

Nice! I hope the kickstarter will work out! Do you think you can reach enough people?

I don't expect my game to get sold more than 100 times when I release it on Steam in the future (also kind of don't want it to sell, because 'responsibilities' ). I would have no idea how to get it to the public with the tons of games that get dumped on Steam each day.

Thanks a lot and I hope it'll succeed, because it'll serve as a boost for me to work even harder on the remaining stuff.

Well, it's an interesting idea. But for me, if I managed to make some money from my game, I'll be more encouraged to work on a sequel and pay people for stuff I can't do in order to reach better quality than the previous game.

And before I launch it Steam or even release the Kickstarter, I'll be spending some money on advertising, but not too much since I'm broke. I'll be relying on social media by paying youtubers, Twitter profiles, admins of large gaming groups, ete, to review it.
    Busy doing nothing...