Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34350515253545556 ... LastLast

Spoiler!

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Spoiler!

@Zorafim: That makes sense. I think we as writers sometimes have a hard time spotting the flaws in our own works. It takes someone else to point out something obvious like that. While I do review my chapters for grammatical and spelling errors, something like an unnecessary phrasing might slip past me. I sometimes debate with myself whether to point out such mistakes in other peoples' works. If I like the story I can usually forgive a typo here and there, you know? But at the same time, maybe it's good to mention those things so the author is more aware of them. Self-improvement and all that. It's a balancing act between coming off as too critical and just trying to help. But I think the way you did it is good, because you explain your reasoning for why you didn't like it and how it could be improved.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

It's super easy to skim past something that just makes sense to you, but is actually nonsense. That's true for any creative act. Like in Mario Maker, it's obvious to you what you're supposed to do because you made it. But someone else coming in might have no idea what they're supposed to do to get to the end.

I tend to be super critical of every single word I write. In fact, my creative flow ha! is to read what I've already written, and then add stuff to the end of that that would make sense when I feel like I've lost the flow. I do that in composition too.
    That critical thinking makes it super hard to get anything down. But so far, it seems like anything that is down is solid. It might be better to just let it flow out and come back later to trim it down and expand on anything needed. But unfortunately, I don't work like that.

It is tough to know if you should point out flaws, but I think it's important for authors to know when things they do bug the readers. A good chance to grow, so long as it doesn't demotivate them.
    But it's only good if it's useful information. Saying "You suck!" or "Stop writing such confusing stuff" doesn't really work, because what is the author supposed to do with that? That's why I like criticizing details and praising wholes. If the detail is criticized, the author knows what to work on next time. And if the whole is praised, the author is more motivated.
    And you can replace author with any artist for whatever you're currently criticizing. It's pretty universal.

I'm never 100% satisfied with what I've written. I always feel like I could have improved it a bit more if I spent more time on it. But even though I'm a perfectionist in some ways, I allow myself that sacrifice (knowing it could've been a little better) for the sake of getting the work out. Otherwise it would take me forever to finish anything, and the chapters wouldn't get done. To me that's the more important thing--getting the work done.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Spoiler!
    Last edited by yoshiblue; Mar 25, 2018 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    I remember talking with a few people around this time about how a proper story should be structured, written and how much time should be spent doing that before working on a final draft; partly because I see Stukasa taking two month breaks and coming back with much cleaner work than I produced. Ultimately I was told it was fine what I was doing, just keep improving.
    The way you've been doing it is fine. You once told me you see your story like a TV series, and that's what it feels like. Although there's an overall story and character development, it feels more like a series of adventures, and that works fine with the format you've been doing. I think your writing has definitely improved over time and I've always liked the "color" you put into your characters and their interactions.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

I'm not gonna lie, it took me a long time to write all of that. But the mood struck me, and it seemed useful to give you feedback. I'm not sure all of it was constructive, but if even a little bit was helpful then it was worth the time.

Keeping tenses consistent is probably something that's worth mastering. It doesn't matter which tense you use, though each has a different flavor. But if you mix them up - especially in the same sentence - the flavors become muddled. Hopefully it doesn't give you too much trouble in the future. I've never had an issue with keeping them straight, so I can't offer any advice.
    ...hey. I just realized, it's possible to write a story completely in future tense. Actually, I think Nightvale does that sometimes, and it's kinda creepy. That may be worth considering in the future...

Spoiler!

And echoing what stukasa is saying, yeah your story is fine. I just think it needs a little bit more color to it. If the quality of your work stays in line with these last few chapters, I think you'll have made a huge improvement. Just focus on color and details, and I think that'll move you one step forward.
    That might be one reason why I liked the Yoshi Jr. sections before they got the focus. They were quirky, as opposed to the more serious main stories.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I started doing a thing in my story where I write all the flashbacks in present tense while the normal story is written in past tense. Just supposed to be an ironic little switcheroo, I guess (since you would normally expect the opposite). I like the "flavor" of writing in present tense, though. It makes things seem like they're happening "in the moment," instead of something that's already occurred. Past tense gives more of a storybook feel, like you're reading a fairy tale that takes place a long time ago. I... don't even know what to think about future tense. xD I imagine it would feel like you're always trying to catch up with the characters, lol.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Hm... I didn't notice at the time, but now that you mention it, there was kind of a lucid dreamlike vibe to your flashback sections. I didn't catch it at all.

Future tense is really trippy. At least, the few that I've seen. Though they also write it in second person at the same time, which adds an extra layer of weirdness to it...
    I really want to try it out now.