Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Private servers(Topic Question)???

I know this subject a no no topic but I do still have one question about it.Which the sticky on it doesn't adress and thats why are these sites so bad?If your going forbid this topic which you can do,Then at least you should tell people why these sites are to be avoided.It's possible not everyone may understand why.Because this topic keeps getting ask about alot.So clearly you need more then just a you can't talk about warning.You need to tell people about why they shouldn't want to use one.Thx...

Because private servers violate copyright laws and are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Somnia View Post
    Because private servers violate copyright laws and are illegal.
    They do not.... But it is a legal gray area. Best way to avoid any problems is to avoid the subject altogether.

Besides.. could anyone imagine what would happen if we could discuss private servers here... This probably wouldn't happen now.. but in the private PSO communities prime, it'd go a little something like this.....

-1 "My server is the best because (blah blah blah blah)"

-2 "Is not! My server's the best! Your server is crap!"

-3 "Y'all both suck. My server is better than all y'all's. "

-4"Can't everyone just get along....?"

-1 "No. F#$# you noob! We don't want your kind on my server noob! GTFO!"

- User 4 and 1 have a flame war. Both users are subsequently banned, and user 4 drops out of the community once the ban has expired. Just imagine this on a larger scale, with more flame wars.. It'd create a very hostile community, one that would require frequent banning and strict rules. Draconian in nature. I'm sure there are a few PSO communities you can see this effect in full force. :P

To me, PSOW has always been a place for Official Phantasy Star news, if not the authority on it, and for helping the Phantasy Star Community at it's most basic levels. I think it's a great service for that. If private servers were allowed to be discussed here, then it would loose that Officialness. It'd become no different than any other PSO Community and would quickly degrade into a cesspool of flaming, advertising, and general stupidity.

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Plus Sega has eyes around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Kroniedon
    it is a legal gray area. Best way to avoid any problems is to avoid the subject altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintasticvin
    Pretty much these. We don't want PSO-World getting into any possible legal issues. So to avoid any issues, we avoid mentioning any names or how to get to them. Chatting about experiences and such is fine for the most part, though. If any naming or linking to private servers is to be done, it should be done in private messages or off-site.

Hunters Guild Group
    Alex - BrHu | Satsuki - RaGu | Keiko - SuTe

Thank you for the anwsers.IF sega had done something about these illegal sites then your pso world site wouldn't have to keep getting pesterd about the topic...

Very true. But Sega has moved on to other things at the moment. We just have to make do with how things are for now.

Hunters Guild Group

Quote Originally Posted by Vintasticvin View Post
    Yes, to this day they still care about the old PSO.......or not

As for the servers themselves i guess in a way they do the right thing, ragol.co.uk allows the chat about private servers except 1 server in particular due to scam related activities, with this prevention here at pso-world, they never receive any awkward suprises, the least you want is to redirect users to such websites.

It's not that they are illegal (if we consider all of them), it's simply a choice they made, they want players to use official sega stuff like the games and the servers.
    It's a meh decision, it's not good or bad, it's the way they want things.

There are times even I wish I could openly chat about them (as I'm a co-admin of one). But even I'm bound to PSO-World's TOS.

Hunters Guild Group

Quote Originally Posted by DC_PLAYER View Post
    ragol.co.uk
    I thought that site was dead. The forums seem to be locked out to the public and I don't remember being able to find game information on the main site anymore.