Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What does it take to make PSO2 PVP able?

First of all before you throw around and say it's a very bad idea, which I would agree with you at this point, the purpose of this thread is to put some inputs on how to make PVP less suck. So no post about how it would be a terrible idea, we get it Mr. Obvious.

I would like to start that I think Sega inherently designed the game to be only PvE, it means they can go wild on making skills being OP and what not (monster won't whine in the forums anyway) but as far as content go, people would get bored of just running the same map, trying to get the best time, I mean it gets boring eventually.

PVP is a content that don't require as much update, aside from the occasional buff/nerf and prolongs the game a bit.

But how do you make it possible on PSO2?

Problem:
    Let's start with HP, when 1k HP is considered high and you can deal, on record, 6m damage, the player HP to damage ratio is just too high and if we are to enable PVP with the current stats, everyone will just one shot each other.
    Possible Solution: Scale the damage down and putting some kind of damage cap.

Second is skill spammability, with PP the only thing that stopping you from spamming skills in fast succession, you can just lock enemy by using grabbing PA over and over again.
    Possible Solution: Putting cooldown on skills.

Flinching every hit also can lock you with repeated normal attacks.
    Possible Solution: Super Armor on some skills, and a counter move (pvp only)

The disparity between melee and range.
    Possible Solution: Give everyone something like ZRA, less damage the farther you are.

The unfairness of auto lock on skills (rafoie for instance)
    Possible Solution: No auto lock? Only first person mode?

Healing (via Resta or Potential)
    Possible Solution: XQ like healing limitation.

What you think?

PvP didn't work out so well in PSO1, so I dunno if it will work here.

A dungeon-clearing race, on the other hand, could be (kind of) PvP that actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Ultra Chicken View Post
    PvP didn't work out so well in PSO1, so I dunno if it will work here.

A dungeon-clearing race, on the other hand, could be (kind of) PvP that actually works.
    PVP would have to be objective based IMO if it were a thing.

As for a dungeon-clearing race, there are these missions called time attack runs... they're just not very popular and are really never played up to their full potential by SEGA in this.

I think it is planned, the blue and red rooms are still there, and the Sphere Arena with it's detailed seating seems promising for some sort of Colosseum style combat+^_^+ only major thing would be balancing and lag issues+^_^+ like "should they allow Player equipment?" which would mean the top .1% would rule PVP and everyone else would avoid it like a plague and etc.+^_^+

I think they are working on something on the side, but i think they want to make sure it's right when it's released (unlike PSO1's tacked on feature). Look at any true PVP games out there and you realize it takes some 2-3 years dev time to have something with quality, which for SEGAC is at least 5 years+^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by Chik'Tikka View Post
    I think it is planned, the blue and red rooms are still there, and the Sphere Arena with it's detailed seating seems promising for some sort of Colosseum style combat+^_^+ only major thing would be balancing and lag issues+^_^+ like "should they allow Player equipment?" which would mean the top .1% would rule PVP and everyone else would avoid it like a plague and etc.+^_^+

I think they are working on something on the side, but i think they want to make sure it's right when it's released (unlike PSO1's tacked on feature). Look at any true PVP games out there and you realize it takes some 2-3 years dev time to have something with quality, which for SEGAC is at least 5 years+^_^+
    It is kinda likely. They said it would likely be added for the Korean version for sure a while back. And it would partly explain the recent striving for balance that they've mentioned.

They would need to change too much in order for PvP to not be a clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowth117 View Post
    PVP would have to be objective based IMO if it were a thing.

As for a dungeon-clearing race, there are these missions called time attack runs... they're just not very popular and are really never played up to their full potential by SEGA in this.
    I mean two parties racing at the same time. And maybe they could spend points to spring traps on the other side and stuff like that.

Fixed values. Fixed HP, fixed damage. Generic weapons and armours.

Without those, there's too many variables to make it viable. I come from solid Diablo 2 gameplay for over 5 years and PvPing and can safely say that it was a disaster there.

Since you were allowed to equip anything, there was a global damage reduction to 10% of original damage to players and even then, you could still 1-hit everything. Not to mention unfair builds, cheesy builds, and community-forced fairplay where players would only duel with lv18 max characters(known as low-level dueling) so that it would be more fun to play.

Since PSO and PSO2 have so much in common with DII, I don't think allowing such vast customised equipment in PvP would be fair. Think of a paintball-style of PvP, where everyone has to use the same weapons(generic models) and same armour/vest(HP).

And, taking all that into consideration, I still think PA's and techs would need to have their damage values adjusted. A huge mess to maintain alongside all the content they're working on.

In short, PvP would be nice to have if we could, but it's too much work for Sega to make it right.
    Last edited by Edson Drake; Jun 10, 2014 at 08:44 PM.

It would really help if you can say why PSO1 PVP sucks, or what needed to be changed. Just saying PVP sucks because it does isn't really contributing to the discussion =.=

About the equipment, they could, in theory, normalize everything even levels so when a level 1 goes into the arena fighting a level 54, both of them will be bumped to level 70 stat wise. To be fair to those who are already max level, they get to keep their skills/masteries intact.

Until dealing and receiving hits become completely server sided, it is impossible for pvp to work.

Just lagging would put you on the same level as hacks: You can deal hits, wait and poof, your damage just comes out of nowhere all at once and kills the poor guy.