Page 67 of 77 FirstFirst ... 175764656667686970 ... LastLast

I decided to just buy proxy cap

Has anyone tried to set up the Windows host with Putty? Followed OP's instructions to get the linux one working, but couldn't get a Windows instance to work.

The AWS account lets you run 2 instances (1 Linux/1 Windows for free), which looks pretty useful, except I keep getting an error/"Network error: Connection timed out" when connecting with Putty to RDP port 3389.

I tried a few other guides online, but not sure what else I can try at this point. Any chance of having OP updated for a Windows guide?

The Windows instance settings were:
    - Instance firewall, SSH port 22 TCP open, RDP TCP 3389 open
    - added the private key .ppk file to putty
    - set a tunnel "Local/IPV4" with dest = InstanceIP:3389 and source port = 3390
    - putty session to connect to InstanceIP:22
    Last edited by mysticalre; Sep 8, 2014 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticalre View Post
    Has anyone tried to set up the Windows host with Putty? Followed OP's instructions to get the linux one working, but couldn't get a Windows instance to work.

The AWS account lets you run 2 instances (1 Linux/1 Windows for free), which looks pretty useful, except I keep getting an error/"Network error: Connection timed out" when connecting with Putty to RDP port 3389.

I tried a few other guides online, but not sure what else I can try at this point. Any chance of having OP updated for a Windows guide?

The Windows instance settings were:
    - Instance firewall, SSH port 22 TCP open, RDP TCP 3389 open
    - added the private key .ppk file to putty
    - set a tunnel "Local/IPV4" with dest = InstanceIP:3389 and source port = 3390
    - putty session to connect to InstanceIP:22
    You don't use putty to connect to a Windows instance. You use the built in Remote Desktop client. This should hopefully be easy to find in the Start Menu/Start Screen. It should look something similar to this when you first load it. As for getting the password, you must press the connect button at the top. It will then give you a chance to use the pem file in a connect to your instance window that you used to get the administrator password, and you then use that to log in via remote desktop.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Sep 9, 2014 at 05:34 AM.

Because there isn't a good guide to setting up a VPN server on AWS, I think that it is a good idea to make this guide available.
    Because it is the easiest, I'm only writing the steps to set up a PPTP VPN. Be warned, while for PSO2 this isn't likely to be an issue, PPTP is not really secure. To make this more secure you would need a security certificate with the related private key.

Warning, Image heavy under the spoiler tags.

Anyway, there are three major steps. The first is setting up the Amazon Web Services instance.

Spoiler!

The second major step is configuring Windows Server. Because this requires a lot to be done, I have split this into a couple of smaller steps.

Spoiler!

Finally we need to configure your system to connect to the VPN. I have Windows 8.1, but the general settings should be the same for Windows 7 too.

Spoiler!

There are two things to note about this. The AWS instance has a dynamic public IP address. So if you shut it down, when you start it again, you will need to update the VPN properties to target the new IP address. It is possible to get around this by using a Dynamic DNS service. If you use a free Dynamic DNS service like no-ip, and then use a program to update the IP address automatically when it starts up then things become almost seamless. You will be able to use a DNS address in the VPN connection settings instead of the IP address, and you will never have to manually update anything when you restart the AWS instance. An example of this is my VPN connection. Here you can see that in the VPN properties I have a URL instead of an IP address. This works as I said, by using a Dynamic DNS service. This allows me to just start the VPN instance, and once it has started, all I have to do is connect to the VPN, no editing involved.
    The second thing is the final step, running the command to get the split tunnel to work is a one time thing. It the setting that it modifies is persistent, so it doesn't matter if you disconnect the VPN, or even restart your computer, that setting will stay set.

With the extra things in place, all I normally have to do to run PSO2 is:

1) If the AWS instance isn't running, go to the AWS site and start the instance.
    2) Once the instance has started, connect the VPN.
    3) Run PSO2.

If you don't set up the dynamic DNS service, this becomes:

1) If the AWS instance isn't running, go to the AWS site and start the instance. Make note of the public IP address.
    2) Edit the VPN properties to update the new address.
    3) Connect the VPN.
    4) Run PSO2.

So the lack of the dynamic DNS is just an extra wrinkle.

One final note, this server and multiple users. The settings that I used allow for up to 20 people to use the VPN simultaneously. There are 21 IP addresses assigned to the VPN server, 1 for the server interface and 20 for the clients. There are also 20 PPTP ports available for incoming connections. This allows you to share the server if you want. It is possible to add more but I would suggest starting off a new server. Also, the users connecting will only ever have the credentials of a limited user account, so even if they manage to work things out, the default rules for Windows Server prohibit them from logging in to the VPN. I regularly use this VPN layout to connect a couple of people.
    If you want to somehow customise the credentials per user, so they have their own user name and password, just add a new account per person, just remember to allow them to dial in. This is the second of the smaller tasks for setting up the server.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ana-Chan; Sep 10, 2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: information for multiple users

wow, thanks Ana! Going to try this out on Win 7

is there any way i can share my connection with someone thats not in my home?
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

ダーク ファルス 【守護者】

This should work on Win7, right?

@Gama:
    I bet that isn't the real question here, could you try describing the situation properly? If you want to provide PSO2 access to someone you know, then instead of sharing your connection, you could allow them to access the server instead.

@Shinamori:
    Not just 7, Windows has had VPN support for a long time.

so the aws server can be used by more then 1 person?

im afraid i could break something.
    Graphics Designer/Product Designer/Illustrator/General handy guy/not taking any requests right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gama View Post
    so the aws server can be used by more then 1 person?

im afraid i could break something.
    I know for sure you can have at least two people SSH Tunnel into the server, but that's giving them complete access to the server.

I do suggest trying some of the other things you can do with the server, such as PSO2 Proxy or PPTP.