Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post Effect setting in PSU: Illuminus hits perfmormance drastically!

I always thought my modern(ish) laptop should be able to run this old game at max settings, but when I first got it I was surprised to see it struggling a bit, so I lowered the frameskip setting and just played like that. Recently, I was messing around with its settings to see if I could help raise performance at all, and realized that the only setting causing problems was the Post effects setting. With it disabled, and everything else maxed with 0 frameskip, it was running perfectly. I was just wondering if it's common for these post effects to have such an impact on performance. Everything else in the game may be as pretty as it can get, but it's disappointing to have to turn off the game's iconic glowing weapons.

Yeah, if your PC can't handle shaders and constant glowing objects, post effects has to be turned off.

Was a shame you couldn't do this for the PS2 version.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

The pc port of this game is a mess and ran like dog shit on most machines.

Skilled Fighter DeathDragon2332's Avatar

You need to get a better computer/laptop. Yeah the game is pretty old almost 10 years now but it still takes some power to run. A weak integrated laptop chip isn't going to run it well. It is not a bad port or anything, it just takes something better than a $150 8 year old laptop. I barely ran it on a GM 945 integrated dual core 1.6ghz laptop when I first played PSU at 800x600 and FrameSkip 2, and that was barely playable. That laptop is about 7-8 years old.

Just need something better.
    IAN-Lvl 180 Male Beast Gunmaster (360)
    D3ath D3aler Lvl 180 Male Cast Acrofighter (360)
    KanameChidori Lvl 180 Female Newman MasterForce (360)

KanameChidori lvl 180 Female Cast AF20 FM20 FF20 PT20 (JP)
    LaLa lvl 180 Female Newman 20 MF 20 FT (JP)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDragon2332 View Post
    You need to get a better computer/laptop. Yeah the game is pretty old almost 10 years now but it still takes some power to run. A weak integrated laptop chip isn't going to run it well. It is not a bad port or anything, it just takes something better than a $150 8 year old laptop. I barely ran it on a GM 945 integrated dual core 1.6ghz laptop when I first played PSU at 800x600 and FrameSkip 2, and that was barely playable. That laptop is about 7-8 years old.

Just need something better.
    The game IS a terrible/lazy console port, the PC controls, graphics, and performance all verify this to be true.

I got my laptop for $400 around 2.5 years ago, and without post effects on, the game runs great. I'm certainly not about to get a new computer just to enable those effects.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    The game IS a terrible/lazy console port, the PC controls, graphics, and performance all verify this to be true.
    Dude no it's not. The controls can be mapped, the graphics are fine this isn't the 360 version (also it's 8 years old, what do you expect?), and performance is fine, I have never had a single drop in my 6 years of playing. I can't even remember a single crash. PSU on 360 has issues with slowdown, massive slowdown.

Also just because the laptop is $400 doesn't mean anything, the GPU/Integrated GPU is still garbage. The laptop I had before that I tried this on was like $600-$700 at the time. However many years ago that was.
    Last edited by DeathDragon2332; Jul 15, 2014 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathDragon2332 View Post
    Dude no it's not. The controls can be mapped, the graphics are fine this isn't the 360 version (also it's 8 years old, what do you expect?), and performance is fine, I have never had a single drop in my 6 years of playing. I can't even remember a single crash. PSU on 360 has issues with slowdown, massive slowdown.

Also just because the laptop is $400 doesn't mean anything, the GPU/Integrated GPU is still garbage. The laptop I had before that I tried this on was like $600-$700 at the time. However many years ago that was.
    It is a terrible port but clearly we are not going to agree about this. I would suggest looking up some old reviews of the game from 2006 and you will see what issues people had with this game, they are many of the ones I listed.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel View Post
    It is a terrible port but clearly we are not going to agree about this. I would suggest looking up some old reviews of the game from 2006 and you will see what issues people had with this game, they are many of the ones I listed.
    You are simply wrong, I played the game from the day it came out until it's closure on PC and 360 as well as JP PC.

Edit: After looking for 10 minutes the only review on the PC version was some unknown site with a review that was half a page long and the guy clearly had no idea what PSU even was. 95% of all the reviews are on the 360 version. So stop making stuff up. It is not a lazy port and a single person saying that on a single review is not proof. It ran fine for me and everybody else who played for the 6 years it was out.
    Last edited by DeathDragon2332; Jul 16, 2014 at 05:42 AM.

Oh stop arguing over it. It wasn't the best port, hell Sega doesn't even know how to port games worth a damn. It shows with PSO2 being able to run on hardware that their other games struggle with since PSO2 was built directly for PC.

The game had performance issues, but if you had a computer it didn't choke on, game was fun.

On topic:
    Post Effect is something I've always had to turn off on my less powerful machines. The fact that it was just a glowing effect and some particle based effects (so it seemed) literally meant nothing to me. I'd rather have frames over a sword/silhouette glow and more particles.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz
    Ship 2 - ID: Chrysheight