Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    I don't understand what you're actually doing right now.
    I'm messing with you.

But to answer the original topic, I would say that PSO2 is the best sequel to PSO, heheh.

As a lot have said before me. Not the best game, but a very good MMO. I haven't played to many MMOs so I guess I could say it's the best MMO in my opinion.

The game is simple, fun, looks nice (to an extent), and it's fun to play with other people. Yeah it does hide behind some pay2play factors, but a majority of the stuff I care about (I.E. clothing, tickets, skills, using all classes or changing classes) is all free.

I haven't seen what comes in future updates, but I do hope they add another difficulty or some sort of more strategic quests than just "JUMP,SHOOT,SLASH,WIN,REPEAT" quests. Something other than the Tower Defense series. Also if they were to add those kinds of quests, I hope they're not hidden behind emergencies quests.

Even though I've played like 600+ hours of the game, I really haven't done much with the matter board (only on the 3rd board) so I can't say much about the story. Though I guess that's kind of a good thing, showing that I'm not limited to just one mode to feel like I'm progressing in the game.

This game has only been out for two years, so I hope it's able to keep growing consistantly.

Oh and one last thing, PSO2 probably has the best OST I have heard in an MMO. That gets a lot of points from me.
    Two In Harmony Surpasses One In Perfection...

After thinking about it, I realized what ultimately puts PSO2 in the MMO bin for me is that it's purely online, on one single server for its given region. There are multiple ships, but you can't connect to a fan-run server with its own ships. You have to go to the main server for your region. You're blocked from any other region.

That's what does it for me. That and sharing your ship with other people, even despite going into an instanced field.

That's what keeps Team Fortress 2 or Borderlands from being an MMO in my mind. If every single server was run by Valve/Gearbox/2K/whoever in the same physical location, and you had to go through a lobby full of dozens of other players you actually saw to get into a game, then I'd be more inclined to feel that TF2/BL2 was loosely a type of MMO.
    See, THIS I can understand. I don't neccesserily agree, but I can see that working.

Still though I'm moreworried about the distinction. This is only a sore point for me because I'm tired of all the confusion it causes in people who are trying games when they're used to something else. Or in the case of this thread comparing PSO2 to games that really aren't the same genre.

Maybe I'm autistic or something, but I really like categories to be very well defined and specific instead of broad and vauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    See, THIS I can understand. I don't neccesserily agree, but I can see that working.

Still though I'm moreworried about the distinction. This is only a sore point for me because I'm tired of all the confusion it causes in people who are trying games when they're used to something else. Or in the case of this thread comparing PSO2 to games that really aren't the same genre.

Maybe I'm autistic or something, but I really like categories to be very well defined and specific instead of broad and vauge.
    If PSO2 had ad-hoc play, or offline play, I'd be more inclined to say it's much less like an MMO. If it lacked lobbies this large, and had small ones like PSO did, I'd be inclined to lean that way too.

PSO2 also has mandatory client updates, which is another big MMO flag for me.

That's what keeps Monster Hunter from being an MMO for me despite going online to a single main server - no lobbies with visible players, offline play, DLC is 100% optional, and most importantly it has ad-hoc play.

After thinking about it, I realized what ultimately puts PSO2 in the MMO bin for me is that it's purely online, on one single server for its given region. There are multiple ships, but you can't connect to a fan-run server with its own ships. You have to go to the main server for your region. You're blocked from any other region.

That's what does it for me. That and sharing your ship with other people, even despite going into an instanced field.

That's what keeps Team Fortress 2 or Borderlands from being an MMO in my mind. If every single server was run by Valve/Gearbox/2K/whoever in the same physical location, and you had to go through a lobby full of dozens of other players you actually saw to get into a game, then I'd be more inclined to feel that TF2/BL2 was loosely a type of MMO.
    What, the reason instanced lobby based games aren't MMOs is because they have fewer restrictions?

As in, PSO2 gains a distinction over similar games with more options?

So Diablo and PSO aren't MMOs because they have an offline mode. Or if any indisputably traditional MMORPG were to officially sanction private servers, they wouldn't technically be an MMORPG anymore, even if they had a centralized cash shop and you could freely transfer to and from the official servers.

Game rooms are not channels you can freely switch between. You can't be questing in Forest and happen to come across someone else playing on the same map unless they specifically joined your particular group. Unless others deliberately leave your personal game room, nobody else can pop in. That's not playing simultaneously, that's playing separately. That's what makes it lose the Massive label for me.

The only thing that's like an MMO is the lobby, but that's just a glorified chat room.
    PSO2 Trivia:
    Crits are bad, m'kay?       Buffs/Heals ignore equipment
    20 Atk ≃ 1% damage     Mass WB = Instant Win    
    Skill Tree Priority Charts || Class Info and Build Guide

If PSO2 had ad-hoc play, or offline play, I'd be more inclined to say it's much less like an MMO. If it lacked lobbies this large, and had small ones like PSO did, I'd be inclined to lean that way too.

PSO2 also has mandatory client updates, which is another big MMO flag for me.

That's what keeps Monster Hunter from being an MMO for me despite going online to a single main server - no lobbies with visible players, offline play, DLC is 100% optional, and most importantly it has ad-hoc play.
    To me it's whether or not those things are required for the main gameplay to function. As I said before, you could completely remove the lobby, replace it with a menu, and the fundamentals of the game wouldn't change. Still though, it doesn't matter to me as long as we make a point to differentiate these kinds of games from other "mmos" and vice verca. :/

Also you reminded me of something completely unrelated with the offline talk. Playing God Eater made me realize how shit the friend partner AI is. Like... It's REALLY bad. I kinda want them to fix it. It would certainly make me less sore about the whole dying really easily solo thing if npcs could at least watch my back.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekTheSweet View Post
    Oh and one last thing, PSO2 probably has the best OST I have heard in an MMO. That gets a lot of points from me.

Educate yourself:

Even among the bubble that is MMORPG soundtracks, PSO2 isn't in the top 3 for me. It has some nice tracks, sure, but they are extremely few and far between, scattered here and there among the white noise that is most of the OST.

Of course, there is no accounting for taste, and it may be that your tastes simply run anathema to mine... but I just can't hear much in the way of quality in the soundtrack as it sounds.

I'm not allowed to talk about game soundtracks because I like Mabi's music...

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrusticae View Post

Educate yourself:
    FFXIV OST - Ultima Weapon Theme - YouTube
    Aion OST - Sillus Mountains - YouTube
    [Blade & Soul] Blade & Soul 2.0 Original Soundtrack - Silverfrost Mountain (Main Theme) - YouTube

Even among the bubble that is MMORPG soundtracks, PSO2 isn't in the top 3 for me. It has some nice tracks, sure, but they are extremely few and far between, scattered here and there among the white noise that is most of the OST.

Of course, there is no accounting for taste, and it may be that your tastes simply run anathema to mine... but I just can't hear much in the way of quality in the soundtrack as it sounds.
    And let's not forget quality ambiance
    https://soundcloud.com/ccpgames/sets...in-game-tracks
    >6 hours of ambient space music developed over the course of more than a decade
    People joke that Eve has no sound, but god damn does it if you want to just chill out.

Honestly... If those are best tracks those games can offer, then it only confirms superiority of PSO2 in that matter for me.