Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealBrain View Post
    Things copy each other all the time. In many cases, the similarities can also be coincidental. I imagine the latter was what happened here

Of course, I never played Destiny (damn online-only requirement), so I don't know if I'm right on that.
    I doubt it was a coincidence, however I also doubt they directly riffed off of PSO - or, rather, PSO specifically.

Many of these predate PSO, and many are staples of this genre and/or other genres.

Games these days tend to be amalgamations of features found in other games. This isn't a bad thing, but an inevitable result of there simply being so many games.

List me one product IRL that doesn't use parts found in another product. Any. Even the screws, the type of sealant, anything at all. While that example isn't exactly the same, the point is conveyed.

So, it isn't what features the games have in common that define them, but how the features are arranged and what features they don't have in common.

But all of that is kind of obvious so.

Besides, like someone already mentioned, Borderlands feels like a pretty great PSO spiritual successor to me too. I haven't played Destiny, but I'd like to in a while after they've added a bunch more content and polished it up a bit. It sounds great, but I'm also told it's a bit lacking right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    From two months ago:

HMMMM.
    Are you a wizard?!
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

I'm fine with it, myself. I actually hope MORE games rip off or pay more homage to PSO. That way, those of us, in the West, will get more games of its ilk without having to resort to jumping through firewall hoops (or be restricted as to where we can play from) in order to play it.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

Only the tekker made me think of a possible homage to PSO, but I have not played Destiny, I don't know if other merchants have hoods or not (and I think not all tekkers had a hood but can't remember). Also, I have no idea if other games have item appraisers, I know in some games you use an item to open the "box" with a rare inside (some f2p make those items very rare but purchasable lol).

I know the differences between a MAG and that robot thing, I've seen some videos, and they are not alike, and everything else is either meaningless (blade dancing?...) or common in too many games (limit attack, character creation, abandoned colony, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    I'm fine with it, myself. I actually hope MORE games rip off or pay more homage to PSO. That way, those of us, in the West, will get more games of its ilk without having to resort to jumping through firewall hoops (or be restricted as to where we can play from) in order to play it.
    Oh definitely. I would love to get a fusion of PSO and Monster Hunter for instance. Or take anything by Platinum and mix with standard loot ARPG stuff. You get the idea. (Actually, PSO2 does have marked improvements in combat, but as usual with SEGA it screws stuff up too).
    Coming Soon!

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Sci-fi JARPG? Oh smurf yeah I'd totally be all over it like a Phashion model on new scratch day!

I suppose this does happen all the time. Even Phantasy Star has a world like Star Wars, but only has a few parts of it.

I suppose any connection could be made between two sources. For example there's so many games that retell the story of the bible. Chrono Trigger anyone?

Last edited by PrinceBrightstar; Oct 14, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_F View Post
    I suppose this does happen all the time. Even Phantasy Star has a world like Star Wars, but only has a few parts of it.

I suppose any connection could be made between two sources. For example there's so many games that retell the story of the bible. Chrono Trigger anyone?

Game Theory: Chrono Trigger Retells the BIBLE?!? - YouTube
    And you're basically Jesus in Terranigma.

I don't know, most of the things compared are common in any MMO or RPG-type game, so I'd call most of those coincidences(or maybe "inspiration")...

I guess I did get a little convinced when I saw the similarity with the identifier NPCs and shoulder robot, though.

If I recall correctly, I think that in an interview, they did mention PSO(or PSO2/PSU?) being inspired by the .Hack games.
    It really does share similarities with the games as well, with the way maps are randomly generated and "teleported to" rather than walked to, and AI party mates.
    Of course, they did make effort to make it pretty different, completely different story-wise.
    Ship 9 - Kouki Elska

Hard to say PSO having any .hack influence since PSO predates .hack by about 2 years.
    They pretty much established their brand of combat, level setup, and telepiping by then.
    It even had NPC party mates, lest anybody forget about characters like Matha Graves.

One might think more that it perhaps had a Diablo influence, with a futuristic twist, since that kind of launched the whole real-time action, randomized dungeon layout, points of teleporting to jump back into action, thing. The biggest difference being the 3rd person 3d action game perspective.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Oct 16, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.