Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast

Thread: PSO Remake

More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/swiVH

So, i've finished the Rappies and the Mothmants+Monest. Both were more work than expected, the textures took a lot of time while the modeling itself wasn't a big deal. I kinda need to emulate the old PSO look and find the balance between the old look and "next gen" graphics. I think they all turned out well, maybe things look a bit more western, but i think that's normal since the shaders are more realistic. We use PBE textures btw. I already animated them, maybe i'll post some animated stuff in the next update. Things always look better in motion.

Next up are the Wolves and the Hildebear, which i hopefully have reworked by the end of the month. After that i plan to redo either the Dragon, the Dragon boss-area, the Guild-Counter-Room of Pioneer 2 (for testing/showcase purposes mainly) or something else that happens to be needed for the Forest. If all of the above is done i will start working on the Caves monsters. I will start to rework some MAGs inbetween, in no real order. Our other Artist is working on the forest assets while i focus on organic modeling for now.

We're still looking for people that'd like to contribute. If you think you can help in any way, write /u/Glader_OGS a message about it.
    See ya, space cowboys!

Reddit thread link: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO/comment..._more_edition/

Very impressive how it is shaping up!

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I agree. I didn't think this would get this far.

Those Boomas look really decked out now. Rappy's look scary too. Though I will miss their cuter appearance, this is looking great.

Thanks for the replies.

@Yoshiblue
    I really try my best to match the old PSO style, but it will look more "western" eventually. That's due to many factors, but mostly because the shaders/textures we use and that i rather go with "make it a bit more realistic"-approach instead of "a bit cuter/cooler/japanese"-approach. And another factor is that i heavily look at concept art and EPIII card illustrations when redesigning things. I want everything to have a consistent look.
    But with the Rappy, you're probably right, it could've been a tad cuter. I might try to change that later down the road (it's mainly the eye-shape/size/position i'd need to finetune a bit to achieve a cuter look i guess).
    Last edited by Meleemaru; Jul 14, 2016 at 02:12 AM.

Mobile Heavy Armored Cast Sacrificial's Avatar

I actually prefer this Rappy look. Looks way more like something you would encounter in the wild.

MultiCore------------Male Cast~~~~~~~~~~~Moriah----------------Female Dewman
    Zyonyl----------------Male Newman~~~~~~~~Shilka ZSU-----------Female Cast
    Quote Originally Posted by AIDA View Post
    Did you try turning it off and on again?

The original PSO was made in a time when SEGA was still internationally focused. Heck PSO's original trailer (yeah THAT one) they even promoted that the player population is the entire population of the world (1000 beats a day, etc, etc)

PSO still had this very distinctive graphical style that all SEGA games had since the SEGA Saturn era. The forest area always reminded me of the first level of NiGHTS. Very bright and saturated colors. PSU in comparison looked super dull. So, yeah, make sure you don't filter colors to much and I am sure you will be capture the original style while also usin more modern lighting systems and textures.

Update time!

Hey guys, I set up a wordpress to keep better track of the posts for myself. Also it's easier to format than a reddit post i guess, but hey, maybe i'm just lazy. I think I will post updates every 2 weeks here, seems like a good shedule to me.

In addition to the blogpost: Next on the list is the Forest Level Remake (geometry + textures) and the dragon. Our other 3D artist mentioned in the blogpost will work on other Forest assets, probably the teleporter or boxes. In between: MAGs, Weapons, other stuff. I will post some videos in the next update, or maybe make the whole update a video.

Last edited by Meleemaru; Jul 24, 2016 at 06:25 PM.

I haven't logged in PSOW for like 2 years, but I finally did here to tell you how amazing this looks and is shaping up.

I can't wait to see more progress.

I agree this looks fantastic!