Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

Thread: PSO Remake

I will be blunt here:

First, I like your work and your attempt at recreating a game you love. I was a fan of the original PSO.

That being said, I will get down to my bluntness with some experience working with video game modding, Modelling, Texturing, and Programming (Have several completed projects as a mapper under my name)....

Recreating an original game seems nice at first until you realize the truth of one thing... The original game already exists! This means trying to recreate an original game to enhance the graphics, revive it, and make it more free to mod does not change the fact that its a recreation. All of this would be great and amazing if you could push a button, ask for that Hyperbolic Time Chamber from Dragonball Z, stay there for five years (which would be five days our time) and there you go... you have your game..

But life is not like that.
    Time moves forward...not backwards.
    There are four open source projects I have been part of. Three of these projects were completed and they revolved around the same theme... "Take an old game and recreate it" all in the sparetime of people....

In fact, there was a company...
    ID Software (who makes Quake)
    who's fanbase bitched and complained to make a Quake 3 Multiplayer Revision...
    and that is EXACTLY what they did in Quake 4 Multiplayer...
    and that did not survive...

However, I will tell you what survived...
    There was a group of players who wanted to revive one of their favorite MMOs.
    Of course, reviving such a game would take a ton of work.
    However, they got the people to do it and a point came when they were given a "cease and desist" order.

Depressed, and Confused... thinking their revival was doomed.
    They did something totally different!

They launched their own independent company and since they used a game engine that is licensed out and not owned by the company that sent the 'cease and desist' order, they actually said "Fine! We will stop" and the following week they changed their plan to revive the game and chose to create an all new game (using the same assets they made from scratch) and change everything for themselves.

This caused a community filled with people who liked the original game, who were fed up about the original game's problems in-game and lack of customer support to seek out this group and help them out a bit.

You see, people didn't just want a clone of a game that they liked
    They wanted a BETTER GAME, not just the same game with the same bullshit, under the same group of people...

The group gained success and now they are in mmorpg.com about to release their game.

Their developers even said
    "If you wish to challenge a company, don't waste time cloning their game... because they can pull the plug at anytime and have as much right to it without putting in any work as you do. Challenge them by making your own game that plays in a similar style, but is better!"

You can complete Phantasy Star Online 1 Remake...
    and sure, you might attract a few people away from private servers etc...
    Hell, you might have me playing as well to try things out for the fun of it all..

But in the end I know a clone is just a clone
    fantastic or not..
    So will everyone else...

Once again.
    Your work is great, and I love it.

The whole forum can flame me to pieces...
    but I only care being flamed by people who actually know their shit in this area.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

That's kind of what I said when this project got started.

I said that this would be better off as a spiritual successor to PSO than a copy of it. As well as avoiding legal issues with Sega, they could also make a tidy profit from it, as well as more creative control. Glader and the team have more to gain that way.

With Sega, legal issues should be fine as long as not making money out of it?

I haven't had time to read all 13 pages of text but what I've gathered from my experience on the PSO-World forums... PSO-World has the worst community of all the forums I've been to. Everyone is a naysayer. This is PSO, a SIXTEEN year old game. Any kind of content is worth pushing forward for. Content creators of PSO don't gain as much recognition as say TF2 creators. The fact that we do anything with this old game is fantastic to begin with. Don't go pushing down a guy who just wants to share his love for the game. Whether it fails or not at least he tried to do something big.

Look. Glader. If you want to go through with this go right ahead. I'm with you all the way and I've offered to help you with animations. I still haven't heard from melee but it's whatever I guess. I just wish you were more vocal in the PSO community.

Still hoping on this thread.

I hate to say it, but it looks like this project is dead. Or at least on hold for the foreseeable future. None of Glader's threads have been updated in a while, and his github account hasn't been active either. If it was a simple break or something along those lines, we would more than likely be informed about it. The silence is a classic sign that the project died, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by loukaras View Post
    PSO-World is a game?

Aw, unfortunate. Well one can only hope its still alive, so here's to hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    Aw, unfortunate. Well one can only hope its still alive, so here's to hoping.
    It is alive. I'll spare from the monotony of talking about internal invisible stuff that has been built. Visible progress takes awhile. Lots of interesting internal things have been implemented or improved but I'm in no way pretending I've been working on this PSO remake non-stop. Additionally I work on two other projects, one is a custom 3.3.5 reverse engineered World of Warcraft client that connects to private servers, and working with WoW packets has informed me on some recent networking decisions with PSO. Anyway, being in school and finding it often difficult to motivate myself working on the same thing all the time I can sometimes bounce around. My humanity sometimes causes me to waste some time playing a game every once in awhile too.

But I digress. Here is an update video. It's mostly a technical networking demo but it does have a nice visual appeal. If you're interested feel free to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDew View Post
    Look. Glader. If you want to go through with this go right ahead. I'm with you all the way and I've offered to help you with animations. I still haven't heard from melee but it's whatever I guess. I just wish you were more vocal in the PSO community.
    Art is out of my department. I've left it up to Meleemaru and Evil. I'm only qualified to handle things related to networking, Unity3D or C#.

Quote Originally Posted by SStrikerR View Post
    I hate to say it, but it looks like this project is dead.
    Things have been slow but hopefully that update video is a pleasant surprise. We're not dead yet. We've been semi-dormant with Meleemaru leading the charge with his fantastic art. I've been split between internal/backend PSO stuff, World of Warcraft emulation with Trinitycore and reverse engineering a custom client you can see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXkQrapBslY . I've learned a lot working with WoW packets and have stolen some of the network design from World of Warcraft and integrated it with my work in the PSO remake. I move between a handful of projects so that I don't burn out. Otherwise if I work nonstop on the same thing I lose motivation.
    Last edited by Glader; Jan 10, 2017 at 06:26 AM.

Grader posted a caves video on his YouTube channel if you guys care to see..
    Not sure if I should post as it's his thread 😯..,
    But it looks dope
    Life's a bitch and then you die.

Hi guys! Abit of an update, you can check the first post but I'll also quote it here. The tl;dr is that the project pivoted to a PSOBB custom client.

Quote Originally Posted by Glader View Post
    Hi guys, just a bit of an update for October 16th 2017. The project has recently pivoted, it is now a project for the creation of a custom Phantasy Star Online BlueBurst client. This client is being built to be compatible with PSOBB servers with a goal of full parity and interaction with other PSOBB clients. The good news is it already works! The project is relatively new, only started a week or two ago, and we've already got some decent progress.

I've been trying my best to put out daily development update videos on my youtube channel and I've even created a playlist that you can use to see and keep track of progress videos.

The announcement video:

The work is also 100% open source, semi-documented and available on Github in various places:
    https://github.com/HelloKitty/Booma.Proxy
    https://github.com/HelloKitty/Booma.PSOBB.Client

The hope is this pivot will tap the resources of the greater PSO reverse engineering community, reduce the scope and complexity, increase the likelyhood of adoption, and lead to a better experience for more PSO community members overall. Stay tuned!