Page 1 of 97 12341151 ... LastLast

Default One Shot, One Kill (A Comprehensive Ranger Guide/Discussion)

I suppose now would be a good time to do this, since it seems like people were interested in such an official thread forming.

Disclaimer: In no way is anything I post 100% true, nor am I claiming that I'm the best Ranger in PSO2. Everyone should feel like their input has as much weight as any other's. This post is available for updating based on findings with enough concrete evidence from any player!

Anyway, here we go:

One Shot, One Kill
    A Comprehensive Ranger Guide/Discussion
    NOTICE: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pros/Cons:
    Spoiler!

Ideal class combinations:
    Spoiler!

Overview of investable Ranger skills:
    Spoiler!

Some example skill trees:
    Spoiler!

Relevant Photon Arts you should be looking for:
    Spoiler!

Suggested weapons:
    Spoiler!

Affixes you should be looking for:
    Spoiler!

How to do:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by ReverseSeraf; Dec 28, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
    "Do not go gentle into that good night
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light"

Twitch

I heard Moving Snipe makes activation of Standing Snipe happens very fast (almost instantly), but SEGA see this as a glitch or overpowered bits, prompting to remove it in future update.

Don't forget Piercing Shell for Rifle's recommended PAs. It's a great burst spam PA with WB, and for RA with large PP pool. One Point is rather decent too, but I don't know how other RA use it. I use it as a mobile PA of sort, dishing out damage while moving, stopping just before the last bullet hits, to proc Standing Snipe and use other PA with SS.

And yeah, Ranger thread =-=)b
    (Kazuki, RA or BR/HU, Human♂) (Yusei, FO/TE or FI, Newman♂)(Zane, TE or BR/HU, Deuman♂)
    Ship: 2-Ur

Yes, it's sad what they are doing to Moving Snipe. I normally would have recommended at least putting one point into that skill, but after the change, it's not worth it when other skills can be invested into for better reasons (i.e. PP recovery).

Usage of Piercing Shell and One Point is very limited, in my opinion. It does have its uses for when you need to be constantly on the move due to various reasons, but from a general standpoint, it doesn't feel like it's worth putting into the weapon palette for a majority of the time. But then again, I mention the situational use for Parallel Slider, so guess I'll mention those two anyway.

Twitch

Regarding MS + SS again, I've tested it abit. If you DiveRoll Shoot, and JA just at the end of the JA circle duration, you can proc Standing Snipe. I think SEGA want to remove that and make it still count as Moving Snipe.

Still, that's not my usual combo. What I always do to make sure Standing Snipe proc on mobile PAs (such as Impact Slider and Parallel Slider) is:

Diveroll Shoot > normal shoot once while standing still > JA a PA. Hope SEGA didn't mess up this setup, I'm clearly standing still there D:

Also, while Moving Snipe is just mere 5%, it still works on boss. So people should still consider it as a luxury skill, similar to First Hit.

Speaking of First Hit, SEGA should consider making it like Perfect Keeper, but counting enemies' HP. Maybe it should activate until enemies' HP go down to under 2/3 or something? Or make it activate for the 1st 5 seconds (might be too long...How about 2-3 seconds) on any enemy after it got damaged?
    (Kazuki, RA or BR/HU, Human♂) (Yusei, FO/TE or FI, Newman♂)(Zane, TE or BR/HU, Deuman♂)

Standing Snipe shouldn't be considered optional for GU/RA. Rifles are useful for gunners, if not only to preserve Weak Bullets and to break parts that either stun or reveal weak points (Ragne's legs, Quartz's nose, etc). Standing Snipe will boost that rifle damage in most situations. Using multiple Sat Aims or Shift Periods in the air will also proc SS. When you're spamming Sat Aim as your chain finisher, the extra damage does help.

About One Point and Piercing Shell: I think Piercing Shell is pretty good, One Point not so much. Piercing Shell can hit multiple times on certain hitboxes, but most of the time it'll only hit once, and even then it still does pretty good damage and still has higher DPS than One Point.

Edit: deleted something else I said because I misread.
    Last edited by horseship; Dec 24, 2014 at 07:25 AM.

What about RA/GU.

{Theme: Infinite Legends}
    RadiantAim: When did you get here?
    LegendAim: Wow he actually leveled him
    LordAim: Hai gaiz

Don't forget to add Sneak Shooter to Rifle PAs.

For technical uses of PAs and why they're useful.
    Rifle:
    Diffuse Shell – Simple Shotgun PA, pretty much Rifle's best option for mobbing (though I say if you need to mob you gravity bomb then switch to launcher)
    Homing Emission – Technical Shotgun PA, must scroll over “lockable” points and release at close range for shotgun effect. Needs 3 or more locks to be more effective than Diffuse Shell
    Satellite Cannon – OP, just need time to charge
    One Point – Simple Spraying PA, it's pretty great when you're running featured quests on normal as it allows you to clear mobs really fast without having to care
    Sneak Shooter – Fast Single Target DPS used in place of when Satellite Cannon can't be used
    Impact Slider – Aggressive Dash with extremely high burst damage, commonly used to burst a breakoff before using other skills to DPS
    Piercing Shell – If the boss is big like bal rodos, it hits multiple times. Quite nice, but situational

Lawnchair:
    Cosmo Breaker – Meant for AoE purposes, Mobbing skill for close range
    Sphere Eraser – Unsure of how to use this effectively.
    Cluster – Meant for AoE purposes, mobbing skill for long range, high chances of hitting weak spots on mobs and someone serves as an AoE Sneak Shooter. A Ra/Br's friend when it comes to mobbing
    Divine Launcher – Simple Strong Launcher Attack
    Flame Bullet- AoE but very high DPS when coupled with Flame Visit, otherwise outclassed

Maybe putting down some suggested/recommended weapons or units even. For those starting out I suggest simply using a (as far as you can go or atleast to the point that it requires silver materials) crafted 3* weapon. This weapon can lead to a Zieg weapon (the order to get his weapon says to extend the specific weapon type to 15) which is quite nice with the Zieg set should you want a guaranteed way to hit "end game" (Ultimate Quests)

Listed at 11*+ Weapons which I say should get a second look (Zieg already mentioned above)
    Assault Rifle:
    Bio Triner - Immediate Destruction POT - boost effects of JAs by 6/7/8%, can be found at rare stone shop, for Ra/Hu this is one of the best weapons you can obtain.
    Hurio Sniff: Crushing Blow POT - increases weak point damage 6/7/9%, for Ra/Br it is suggested to have this to compliment weak stance
    Fubuki Raitei: Exhausted Ambition POT - Boosts S/R-ATT by 150/200/250 when pp is 50% or less
    Evarescasa: Zero Effort POT - increases point-blank attack power 12/14/16%, can be found at rare stone shop. Highly consider using Diffuse Shell/Homing Emission with this weapon. Ra/Gu can work effectively with this weapon
    Sfera Rain: Negative Hunter POT - increases damage to Darkers 7/10/13%, can be found at rare stone shop
    There's also a certain weapon called Heaven's Punisher that I heard increases Satellite Cannon damage by 12% at POT 3, I'm not listing it because I'm not sure if it really exists.

Lawnchair:
    Blancanis: Holy Cannon POT - Increases power of Divine Launcher by 8/11/14%, highly suggested to use Divine Launcher PA with this
    Flame Visit: Flame Cannon POT - Increases power of Flame Bullet by 10/15/20%, highly suggested to use Flame Bullet PA with this, (Should the weapon have a fire attribute? Not sure if it helps or not)
    Ikariboshi Hou: Great Sun Diety POT - Increases damage in fine weather by 4/8/12% (maps with no concept of weather are not included), can be found at rare stone shop.

Saiki Set – Amazing PP, pretty much end game units for ranger especially if you horde WB
    Zieg Set – Good to hold onto if you have the weapon to go along with the set, you might find your PP severely lacking however
    Hiei Set – Obtainable doing MatterBoard 3-1, easy to get with good PP (I heard crafting it is great too)
    Tian/White Tail Set – Not so sure about this but I'm considering using this to replace my Zieg.

Some Affixes you want
    Mizer/Siorg Soul
    Shoot III
    St Fever
    Ability III/R-ATT boost/Mutation/Vinculum/Modulator(if you're rich enough)

Ranger's Role in MPAs is pretty clear: Weak Bullet Dispenser. Therefore a guide to know weakspots on bosses http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204984 (very outdated but knowing this is still useful).
    Last edited by InvertedWyvern; Dec 24, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added some information I thought could be useful

^'Lawnchair' xD
    Nice info, thanks. You also give me idea to start regularly using Sneak Shooter. Atm, it sits in my 3rd rifle slot, whereas the 1st two slot are what I use most of the time.

For launcher, there's also Bio launcher (don't remember its specific name) and Red Scorpio (dat Black Heart)

Quote Originally Posted by horseship View Post
    Standing Snipe shouldn't be considered optional for GU/RA. Rifles are useful for gunners, if not only to preserve Weak Bullets and to break parts that either stun or reveal weak points (Ragne's legs, Quartz's nose, etc). Standing Snipe will boost that rifle damage in most situations. Using multiple Sat Aims or Shift Periods in the air will also proc SS. When you're spamming Sat Aim as your chain finisher, the extra damage does help.

About One Point and Piercing Shell: I think Piercing Shell is pretty good, One Point not so much. Piercing Shell can hit multiple times on certain hitboxes, but most of the time it'll only hit once, and even then it still does pretty good damage and still has higher DPS than One Point.
    The advantage of One Point is that it's not a slow projectile: it's almost guaranteed to hit the enemy if its moving around a lot. Whereas, there's a good chance Piercing Shell will miss in said scenario. Each PA has its pros/cons relative to each other.

I'm actually not that experienced with Gu/Ra, so I haven't even considered spamming Satellite Aim to proc Standing Snipe. I'll make sure to add another example skill tree including that!

Also that link showing DPS is pretty damn useful. I'll compile it to be a bit more reader friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantLegend View Post
    What about RA/GU.
    From how I see it, the only real difference between Gu/Ra and Ra/Gu is the main class skills: using Gu as a sub is a terrible idea since Hu and Br both provide better multipliers and limits your access to strong Gu-only TMGs. The main class skill for Ra would be Sharpshooter (and Bullet Keep, but not worth mentioning for the time being); however, the reason you would be picking Gu up as a main/sub class would be to use TMGs, which all benefit from players being up close. High Time does not have a distance restriction and is dependent on whether you don't get hit, which should be the main goal anyway if you also want to keep up Perfect Keeper. That's why Gu/Ra is far superior to Ra/Gu while achieving the same goals, in my opinion. You're welcome to say otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by InvertedWyvern View Post
    Don't forget to add Sneak Shooter to Rifle PAs.
    Sneak Shooter doesn't seem like it's a worthwhile PA at all: it forces you to stand on the same point during execution, and the slow projectile is not always guaranteed to hit the intended target if the enemy is moving around.

For mobbing, Sneak Shooter is far out-classed by Diffuse Shell and launcher PAs. For bossing, Satellite Cannon has the same restrictions but does much more damage. Even Homing Emission probably does a better job if there's no time for Satellite Cannon. Piercing Shell/One Point/Parallel Slider all have mobility, which is favorable should you encounter bosses that play very aggressively.

But I'll definitely add those descriptions and suggested weapons/units/souls to the list!
    Last edited by ReverseSeraf; Dec 24, 2014 at 05:44 PM.

Twitch

Dive roll shoot goes a long way for gunner, especially in fights like Elder Arms. Being just one point, I think it's worth it to help ensure Chain Trigger progression. It's also good for JAing a Dead Approach, or really anything else that S Roll usually messes up. I personally went without S Roll Bonus for that reason. 9 points for situational 10% that only works for some PAs doesn't sit right for me.

There was also talk in the gunner build thread that Chain F Focus isn't worth it, because every 40 in chain would give back 10 seconds, so it was usually better to put that point in chain trigger instead.

I do have a question about that attack PP Restorate though.
    http://pso2.swiki.jp/index.php?%E3%8...82%AC%E3%83%B3

From that link, it says how much pp each attack gives back from which weapon. If normal attacks are 1-1-1-1, do you get any benefit from 10%? Or would you need to max it out, or go at least 60% and hope for it to round up? Says S Roll gives 2-2-2(same as Assault Rifle), so I guess that would mean you would need at least 50% there as well. I've never bothered with it myself unless I went to max it, but I'll check the Edel Arrow out and edit this post.