Default A few Gigantes-related questions...

My copy of Nova finally came in a few days ago. I'm up to level 27 or so and I really like the game so far, but I'm having some issues with Gigantes. I can defeat them, but fighting one always makes me feel incompetent even though I'm winning. So I have some questions.

1). What determines how long a Halo ring lasts? They always seem to break just as I'm getting set up to do some real damage.

2). Is there any functional difference between using a Ring Generator vs. making one with a Halo?

3). If you get an Emergency Code: Capture for a Gigantes and you aren't a Buster, are you just screwed? I failed a mission this way last night.

4). Any general tips on how to approach Gigantes fights?
    Ship 2:
    Katarin: GUmarl. Lethal precision with a whimsical streak
    "Save the day and look good doing it. That's what this job is all about!"

Alessandra: FInewearl. A hyperkinetic, photon-fueled mayhem machine.
    "Oho! I actually felt that! You must be pretty strong!."

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post
    My copy of Nova finally came in a few days ago. I'm up to level 27 or so and I really like the game so far, but I'm having some issues with Gigantes. I can defeat them, but fighting one always makes me feel incompetent even though I'm winning. So I have some questions.

1). What determines how long a Halo ring lasts? They always seem to break just as I'm getting set up to do some real damage.

2). Is there any functional difference between using a Ring Generator vs. making one with a Halo?

3). If you get an Emergency Code: Capture for a Gigantes and you aren't a Buster, are you just screwed? I failed a mission this way last night.

1. Whent he Gigantas breaks it?

2. Not really

3. Use the equip Piler skill from leveling Buster

4. If you want easy mode, play a Ranger
    Sizustar Fo/Te 75/75 - Ship-2

Screenshot dump
    url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/118177547@N08/[/url]
    Drawing and junk Twitter https://twitter.com/Sizustar - please don't send blank request-

1). Ah, that's one of the points I wasn't sure about - so the Gigantes actually do break the rings, they're not just time limited? I thought that might be the case, but... when you can't read any of the tutorial stuff...

2). Good to know.

3). Ok, so that skill is Equip Pile, then? I wasn't sure, since I can't read Japanese. That's helpful.

I did successfully capture one of the things while playing as a Buster last night.

I think I am starting to get better at fighting them. It would probably help a lot if I could read any of the game materials, but since I can't everything has just been trial and error until I find things that work. I mean, I can read the English that is in katakana, but that's really only helpful for item/class names and character names.
    Ship 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post

1) They don't have limited time. The only thing that they can break Halo Ring is when a Gigantes creature is doing a movement which breaks every ring so... be careful when spamming rings in fury mode.

2) Well... Sizustar is right, excepting in one thing. Ring Generator can be used in every weapon, while the Halo GA can be only used when you've got the Halo equipped. Maybe you'll prefer using Ring Generator if you don't have intentions of using that weapon.

3) If you've got Buster at lvl 2, you can unlock Weapon Equip: Pile. This skill is extremely necessary for every class excepting buster.

4) Try to hit yellow shining parts fastly. Those yellow things are weak hits which can stun the Gigantes (and able to damage the Gran Generator of its heads). Some of those yellow things are hidden so maybe you'll forced to find it.

Greetings.

Thank you for the help.

Loving Nova so far, but without a translation some stuff is definitely hard to pick up on.
    Ship 2:

Here are a few translation guides that can help: http://www.critdmg.com/phantasystarnova, http://www.bumped.org/psublog/promis...asy-star-nova/

I will just say that I agree with the ones above. If you are stubborn though and want to use hunter or another class for everything here's some things I did that helped out. Generally if you use the rings to where their weakpoints are, most gigantis can't do too much to hurt you aside from a few attack patterns that are easy enough to learn. The weakpoints on their sides tend to be a great spot to spam nova strike or tornado meteor as they have multiple close hit points. An assault gun and glory rain though break a lot of things.
    PSP2: Luneth Lv. 200, Vanguard 30

Shikigami Weapon (Lvl-91) ShiroiRen's Avatar

still doesn't explain how to capture the bastards....

Quote Originally Posted by ShiroiRen View Post
    still doesn't explain how to capture the bastards....
    When knocked down from breaking a glowing yellow area, a gas-spewing generator, or their primary armaments, their head area will emit a giant glowing VERY yellow crystal. Use the Ignition Skill, which is added to the item/skill palette from the Gigantes list
    Known as Niem on Ship 2.
    Spoiler!

Shikigami Weapon (Lvl-91) ShiroiRen's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFalcon View Post
    When knocked down from breaking a glowing yellow area, a gas-spewing generator, or their primary armaments, their head area will emit a giant glowing VERY yellow crystal. Use the Ignition Skill, which is added to the item/skill palette from the Gigantes list
    Thanks! Sorry I've had a hard first time trying to catch the dual cannoned boy.
    I also wonder if shooting them with the Gunlance like weapon for busters and impaling them in some weak spots first (especially the ones you mentioned at most) activates it?

At first I had no idea despite using that buster thingy (sorry it's seriously GunlanceXLauncher mix, too much PSO2 & Monster Hunter for me! ) but when my protagonist kept saying something and I saw some arrows sticking out the side of the weakpoints, I also waited as you said till their Crystal changed light-orange or bright "danger-yellow" exploiting he was weak then "Yoink!"