Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why sega is sucking?

So, I came across this interesting post on reddit today. http://np.reddit.com/r/AndroidGaming/comments/2de3kb/sega_how_can_you_suck_so_bad/cjpt99i
    The near complete collapse of the arcade videogame market with the rise of home consoles is partly to blame.
    Sega's primary business was game cabinets, they started out as a manufacturer of pub and pinball games, and the arcade market was what provided all that cash for cutting edge videogame software research, custom hardware, and beautiful cabinets. Their consoles were always a refinement and miniaturization of (most of) their arcade technology and the translation of arcade titles was a bonus of that. However with the rise of mass-manufactured 3D-capable home consoles (something, ironically, that they had a hand in). the demand for custom arcade cabinets (their mainstay) died within a decade. Today their primary income is as always from the game arcade market, however these days the pachinko slot machines, the claw-grab prize machines. and merchandise win-games, are what keep them afloat. If anyone is in any doubt of this, head to their former pride and joy, the Sega arcade in Akihabara, Tokyo, and be horrified at finding that the first three floors are entirely dedicated to such machines. Floors 4 and 5 are where they have the videogames, which are mostly team/competitive games or obscure projects.
    So what happened to all their famous development teams?

Well with the economic losses of the 32x, Sega Saturn, and the Dreamcast in quick succession, in 2000 Sega decided to exit the hardware market and focus on becoming a videogame publisher while retaining its core arcade machine business. However with severe losses to assuage it decided to grant the bulk of its development studios independence and the freedom to develop for whichever platform they wished. The studios Hitmaker!, WoW Entertainment, Overworks, Amusement Vision, Smilebit, Sega Rosso, United Game Artists, were formed. You will see these game companies' logos all over early Xbox and Gamecube games from 2000-2004. Only AM1 and Sonic Team remained internal teams. On 9th December 2003, Sammy purchases 22% of Sega shares. During mid-2004, Sammy bought a controlling share in Sega Corporation at a cost of $1.1 billion, creating one of the biggest game manufacturing companies in the world. On July 1 2004, the independent studios reintegrated into Sega following the merge between Sega and Sammy, and a holding company, (Sega Sammy Holdings), was formed. The subsidiaries ceased to exist and were renamed. This shuffling created a general discord in the company, and further restructuring under SegaSammy continued to diminish their capacity. Recognizing this, Sega sold Visual Concepts and Kush Games to Take Two interactive in 2005. Several other notable persons such as Yuki Naka (the creator of Sonic) left Sega to pursue various independent development projects.
    So what happened to their awesome tech?

With the merger of Sega and Sammy, both being experienced game cabinet and peripherals manufacturers, it was thought little could go wrong. However the assault of mass-micro-gpu development in the USA and China meant that Sega was struggling to provide any real technical lead with the considerably costlier workforce in Japan. Most PC gamers will well-recognize the huge strides made in graphics cards over the period from 2000 to 2010, and eventually Sega simply realized the development elsewhere was beginning to outpace their smaller-scale arcade manufacturing, and from Lindburgh onwards, they simply stopped manufacturing custom hardware and bought off-the-shelf internal components and focused on custom cabinets. All modern Sega arcade machines are basically desktop PC's. As always, SegaSammy's focus is on maintaining profitability in the arcade market, a market in which they have long held a dominant market share.
    So modern arcade games are PC games?
    Yes, and this explains a lot about Sega's development shift from consoles to the PC market. Flush with some cash, over the past decade, Sega returned to profitability, and set about purchasing development studios, such as The Creative Assembly (2005), Secret Level (2006), Sports Interactive (2006), Three Rings (2011), Hardlight Studio (2012), Relic Entertainment (2013), Index Holdings (2013). Sega hasn't spent its money making new games, rather, it has spent its money acquiring already successful studios.

So what happened to all their beloved IP?
    Well what happens to all large expansive multinational companies.. the majority of its current employees come from backgrounds entirely separate from Sega's individual corporate history and have no idea what the hell to do with any of it. Few of their acquisitions have developed any of it. SoA would go on to release several blockbuster Sonic games for the Wii, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Some of these are Sonic Unleashed (200, Sonic and the Black Knight (2009), and Sonic Colors (2010). All of these games sold well in North America and Europe, but they did not sell well in Japan. Sammy itself has simply stuck its head down and focused on maintaining the 80% market share in the prize-grab arcade market. Sega of Japan has simply stopped porting anything produced internally. Sega of America is mostly focused on consoles, but as usual has entirely different ideas from Sega of Japan and wants to battle every single decision from an Americanization point of view. Sega Europe does its best to ignore the other divisions and has continued to focus on PC market expansion.
    The rest as they say, is history. Your pleas will fall upon deaf ears for three reasons:

1) Sega of Japan doesn't care what you think because if they fail to release a new pachinko or prize-grab machine during a financial quarter they post losses of over $100m.
    2) Sega of America doesn't care what you think because they only care that sports and Sonic sells, and all that comes from Japan is not-sports and not-Sonic.
    3) Sega of Europe does care what you think, but is pretty much powerless to do anything. All the IP for legacy titles rests with SoJ and SoA (which are literally separate companies with individual property rights within the holding company). SonicTeam is in the US, while the arcade IP is in Japan. So they continue to focus on building their own IP brands such as All-Stars Racing, Total War and Football Manager.

TLDR: It's a clusterfuck.
    Last edited by mctastee; Jan 8, 2015 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Formating

This is segac after all. =/
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

The Sammy part of the Sega Sammy merger is keeping the company back is what I'm getting from the copy/paste job.
    Interested in playing PSP2i without starting over? Click here to get started or look here for people converting saves.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

bad luck + bad decision making + bad economy + segretated groups = mediocre games gotcha

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Eastwood View Post
    bad luck + bad decision making + bad economy + segretated groups = mediocre games gotcha
    ^ Hence what I said about SEGA earlier. Though I like their games but disappointed with how they treat their fanbase and take shortcuts when it comes to designing their games.

=/
    Last edited by Noblewine; Jan 12, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Yup. So don't expect PSO2 to ever actually be released as is from outside of Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by fighgunners View Post
    Yup. So don't expect PSO2 to ever actually be released as is from outside of Japan.
    ^Quoted for truth.

Sad thing is I don't trust sega at all after the stuff that happened on PSU and PSP2 network mode. I wish to see PSO2 but I think I'll just stick with one of their older games. I'm conflicted on the whole matter.
    Last edited by Noblewine; Jan 11, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fighgunners View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    ^Quoted for truth.

Sad thing is I don't trust sega at all after the stuff that happened on PSU and PSP2 network mode. I wish to see PSO2 but I think I'll just stick with one of their older games. I'm conflicted on the whole matter.
    I shall make a petition in hopes of nations outside of Japan!

Funny thing is that we still get Yakuza. That's the most surprising thing ever to come from the offices at Sega. They don't have confidence to release a Phantasy Star game, yet they do have confidence in releasing Yakuza. Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see another Yakuza game; but I can't say I'm not a little perplexed by what decisions they make in releasing games.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

Yakuza 5 was pushed by Sony, provably because they want to bring Ishin and/or Zero to the Ps4, since it is lacking in games right now. So just like Bayonetta 2 exists thanks to Nintendo, Y5 is being translated thanks to Sony.