Default I'm kind of hyped after the Splatoon direct

My reactions in the 30 minutes of direct:

- Let's see if it's worth buying
    - Looks like a f2p but not f2p, Steam has tons at 10€
    - lol loli-calamari
    - Kinda enjoying the looks of the game
    - single player missions seem like they could feel Portal-like
    - lol loli-calamari idols concert!
    - omg online events, tons of updates, I need to play this!

Skip to 21:30 if you just want to check on the loli-squid idols lol

I've been hyped for the game since the original showing. You'll be hard-pressed to find any f2p game with this level of artistic vision in it. For me, the most interesting initial reaction I had was seeing how the game kind of marries the run and gun shooter, with stealth elements; while mixing in its mobility behind something of a mini real-time Tony Hawk Skate park editor. The shooting mechanic creating new ramps and places to trick off of as you place ink there.

When they first introduced it, it was the first shooter-style game in which I was at least as interested in "riding" than shooting. The whole squid motif (they put it in everything, including the interface) is pretty cool while making it seem like a *summer* game. I also see a bit of a Jet Set Radio influence all over it. With everything in place, it gives of the kind of inventive vibe that SEGA used to make, back in the day.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

3D Modeler, Red Box Lover zwandude15's Avatar

Played all 3 sessions of Global Test fire! I loved the game.

Was anyone else on there?
    -Offline Heaven Punisher Hunt-
    (93) Hildetorrs; no success.

-Offline Lavis Hunt
    (28 ) Slimes; no success.

Quote Originally Posted by zwandude15 View Post
    Played all 3 sessions of Global Test fire! I loved the game.

Was anyone else on there?
    I was in the first and last sessions of the game.

Only played the middle one and not the full hour, they had to place it at lunch time in Europe lol

I feel like I'll need more practice with the charger, I mostly played with the roller at first, and felt kind of OP, I can't say I was fond of the giro controls, something that didn't affect the roller.

Worked out well for me. I only got to play the first session, actually.

I switched weapons, but I played the splattershot and JR the most. For me, the gyro controls didn't take long to get used to and I gained a major advantage with them, using those guns especially.

Partially because once it clicks, you have almost a mouse-like control over your aiming. Plus the right stick is still used for fast turning controls. But I was doing very well in standoffs because I could target my enemies faster and more accurately than they could target me.

Still, a fun stress test.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

I didn't change the controls in the test, but I've seen videos where you can deactivate the giro completely and use normal controls. I feel like a mix of both could be better, analogue to make quick turns (up/down too) and giro to be more precise. Maybe it's a matter to get used to all the new mechanics, in the end that's the most awesome part about the game, to learn to play a TPS again, unique gameplay, tactics and objectives.

Couldn't get into any of the test sessions, but I think I'm going to cave and buy this game. The game is shaping up really nicely. I'm hoping it will be really well-supported by Nintendo in terms of adding in new features, modes, cosmetics, weapons, etc.

If you guys have a Wii U, feel free to add me!

ID: Aethradon

EDIT: I want to point out, I think the reason I like the way this game is turning out so much is because it draws so many similarities to Animal Crossing as well while still maintaining its core gaming experience. You can really see them in the plaza area as well as the shops with how the NPCs talk, too.
    Last edited by Korazenn; May 10, 2015 at 12:29 PM.

I wasn't interested enough to play any of the demo times or whatever (that and I think the times were all bad for me anyway).

Still don't know if I want this game or not. It's like, it looks pretty cool, but at the same time, it looks like it may get really boring. It seems too built upon the 'ink' gimmick, and not enough on core shooter game values. I really don't know how I feel about it on the whole.

3D Modeler, Red Box Lover zwandude15's Avatar

A lot of folks agreed the splat roller felt a little OP. Personally, I stuck with the Splattershot Jr. and was on the top in points of almost all of my games (avg. 1k-1200 pts). But I agree the charger will take some getting used to. The splatterscope (as a charger) on the other hand...

And to BIG OLAF, if you have the chance to play it before you buy it, do. I was kinda unsure about buying after last year's E3 when they said it'd only be a 2 person local (I'm big on it) but it turned out to be crazy fun. Fun enough to buy it regardless. The Nintendo Direct also shows some promise for its future.
    -Offline Heaven Punisher Hunt-
    (93) Hildetorrs; no success.

-Offline Lavis Hunt
    (28 ) Slimes; no success.