Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSO2 avatar submissions

Hello, I'd like to try submitting some avatars. These are NPCs and default characters of the game, along with some promotional images.
    Not sure how the Braver ones should be named... BRduman?
    Also not sure if fan-translated names are used, so names after the slashes are different ones for generic usage.

Spoiler!

Hey, thanks for the submission. You have the right idea - images, frame & sizes. You almost nailed it, but they are a bit off. They need to be a little closer, more centered with better contrast & sharpness.
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Attempting. I think I screwed up the border and too sharp?

- Human

OK, seems like some are interested in making PSOW avatars, I'll give some pointers & guidelines to create more acceptable entries.

1. 64 x 64 pixel frame
    (I know that's small in today's standards, but we wanna keep it that way.)

2. 1-pixel black border
    (You actually have only 62 x 62 px for the image)

3. Center your character
    (Keep subject's head or face as close to center of images as possible. Too far to any side distorts the balance.)

4. Moderate scaling
    (Zoom or resize image to a viewable size, not too big or small. We are interested in the character's head & face. Any costum or outfit is optional. If it fit in the frame, keep it.)

5. Contrast/sharpness
    (Most images need to be resized to fit 64x64, so adjust sharpness to a reasonable level. Adjust hue, contrast or saturation so that it's not so dark or light, etc.)

6. Use official artwork
    (Nothing against fanarts, but we want users to recognize or know about the avatar from game series by the official artist's work.)

Those are the main points. There also subject matter, labeling/naming, similarity & other things to consider, but let the admin take care of that last. =)

Hi there. I'd like to submit this picture I found on Zerochan.

And here's what I've done to it to make it look like an avatar, I guess:
    Spoiler!

Thank you for your response, Dhylec. Now I have a better idea of what standard PSOW is looking for.

I redid everything and also added some more artwork that I had forgotten to use originally.
    Showing everything in a single image for approval first. If there are no problems with the cropping/sharpness/contrast, I'll upload them individually again.
    I realize the male concept art is smaller than the rest, but that's how the source images are sized. I hope they are still considered despite that.

Spoiler!

Edit: Oops, forgot to adjust contrast of the CG cast images. It'll be corrected once I upload them individually.

Edit2: Noticed bad cropping on another avatar, so I just updated the whole thing.
    Last edited by Kayarine; Jun 1, 2015 at 02:40 AM.

JP PSO2 - Ship 2 & 4 | Player ID: Kayarine
    Kayarine | Σ-18 | クロウ | Alexander | シロナ | 【敗者】 | サガ
    テオドール | マトイ | アウロラ | ピエトロ | ブリュー・リンガーダ | ジン

Quote Originally Posted by Kayarine View Post
    I redid everything and also added some more artwork that I had forgotten to use originally.
    Nice improvement! You make them pretty much the way I'd. The avatars look much better -more inline with what we'd like to use. Zeno, the red humar can use better resizing - that you knew. Matoi can use some more saturation; she's a bit too light in most of them. In fact, give everyone light-skinned a bit more saturation too.

Here's another hint for making the most of the frame & keeping the most of the character's head:
    - Crop as close to the chin as possible (without cutting it off), so you have more of the head in the frame.
    (The top row, overall, is very good in that aspect. 2nd & 3rd rows aren't ideal; a bit crop-tweaking should do the the trick.)

The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

I've been wanting to submit some avatars as well. Ones of monsters from the Classic PS series.

OK, redid most of them again. This is the last time I'm recropping anything; I don't think there's anything left that I can improve now in that regard.
    So now I'm uploading them individually.

Spoiler-boxed according to image sources:

Concept art:
    Spoiler!

CG images:
    Spoiler!

Anniversary artwork:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Kayarine; Jun 2, 2015 at 03:06 AM.

JP PSO2 - Ship 2 & 4 | Player ID: Kayarine
    Kayarine | Σ-18 | クロウ | Alexander | シロナ | 【敗者】 | サガ
    テオドール | マトイ | アウロラ | ピエトロ | ブリュー・リンガーダ | ジン

25 new avatars have been added to the PSO2 avatar section. I also reorganized the PSO2 avatar gallery so it is sorted by race, npcs, and then enemies.

Credit goes to Kayarine for submitting the avatars.