Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 10!

I attempted to upgrade to windows 10. I had problems with it freezing and stuff I ended up fresh installing windows 7. x.x

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

I installed Windows 10 on my laptop recently. The upgrade was mostly seamless, even keeping all of my apps and documents and settings in tact. I love that the action center got refined, and the minimalistic approach for the GUI is great. As for performance, I've been having a few issues, but I had those issues before I upgraded; I was on Windows 8.1. Unfortunately, the laptop is only for light work and school work, so I haven't gamed much on it. I was able to play Ultra Street Fighter IV on it, though my laptop isn't for gaming. So kind of a moot point. I'm still debating on updating my desktop from Windows 7, as I'm checking through the different games lists that works. I believe PSO2 works with Windows 10 now, so I should be fine in that regard. If anyone has gaming reviews with it, I'd like to hear it. Hopefully it won't just be a minority of people having problems.

Is there a way to get Windows 10 to apply updates on manual shut downs and power ups instead of restarts? I'd rather tell my computer to shut down, it does part of the update, shuts down, then continues updating once I turn it back on again (like it always used to be).

As far as I've seen, it only lets you schedule restarts.

Also, as a side note, Windows can now take updates from other computers on the internet. You can see that setting in Update & security>Windows Update>Advanced Options, Choose how updates are delivered.

Yeah, they basically are trying to make their updates a peer-to-peer thing, in what I assume is a way to reduce stress on their own update servers; if I recall, it can also do so with computers on the same network, which I imagine might have been originally thought up for pushing updates to more computers, faster in an enterprise setting.

Welp, I reverted back to Windows 7, as pretty much none of my games were stable. Prone to random crashing, and I'll be damned if I'm doing a fresh install.

Who is this guy again? Shadowpawn's Avatar

I've upgraded to Win 10 on both my desktop and laptop and so far I haven't had any problems. I like the fact that twitter is integrated directly into the OS. This allows me to disable the twitter client I have on my browser.

I was having some start-up and other general issues, but I narrowed them down to Avast! hogging a lot of resources; been running with just Windows Defender and I have to say that performance has much improved. I'm currently buying parts for a new rig, and I'm feeling confident in loading it with Windows 10.

EDIT: Just booted up PSO2 on this system for the first time since uninstalling Avast! and it is running so much better. I was running on minimum settings with just AA turned on, and i was getting slowdown and ~35fps before, and now I was able to boost it up to normal textures and some lighting shaders and am getting ~60fps consistently.
    Last edited by Anduril; Aug 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM.