Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Is it still considered RP if the character is made to look like you, named after you, and TRIES to dress like you? Lol

Enforcer of Evil™

RP is a pretty broad term.
    A man pretending to be a girl in an MMO is technically RPing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    If you act as your character then it's RP, generally. So is your character yourself, or is yourself the character.
    PSO2 Ship 2 : オゲラウン ("ogeraun"), caseal HU/FI/RA/GU/FO/TE/BR/BO/SU75. Have a good time.
    Also, team leader of exceRPt, the semi-RP team.

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

Character is me.
    Always aim to make myself in any game that has a creator (I blame PSO for this as I think it was the 1st game I ever did this with).

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

[QUOTE=Dai-RPG;3282698]Well I was thinking we could take a couple of approaches to this...

1) The first approach would be to create a story unique to the PSO2 universe, but with our own twist. The races and planets would be the same, but the actual plot itself will be completely different since our characters would be heavily involved in the plot rather than the NPCs themselves. Heck, if we even wanted we could reuse some of the current zones as new planets if we so desire.
    This idea would probably be the optimal choice for you and your entourage

2) Second approach would be to pertain to the actual story itself with our characters. Personally I would find this kind of hard to do since the plot of PSO2 is extremely hard to follow due to the Matter Board system and everything doesn't add up too well yet.
    Good lord this one is a train wreck wairing to happen and I agree it not only doesn't add up, its a huge clusterfuck of a mess, and the story could change at any given patch thus messing things up.

3) Pretty farfetched but... We could try to do something completely different. Example: Maybe make some sort of Sword Art Online or .Hack kind of RP where we are playing an MMO but it's a life/death situation of some sort, of course this is just an option I thought about, but was never really on the forefront. But if you find this idea cooler than we could go more towards this route where we can just make it completely different.
    Oh good lord lol no, just no. Just my opinion and I still can't get into the hype of Sword Arts, .Dothack oh hell to the yes I can sit through that. Long story short I'd burn option three with fire

Anywho this sounds fun and wouldn't mind lurking about watching you and your group play out things. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by IronKrone View Post
    Oh, I like the first one as well!

The second idea can be, as you've said, a little hard to pull off. It might be better if the story is complete but we probably still have months to go before that's happen. And it's not like everyone can be MC and time travel back and forth. Too complicated.

The third option is interesting but it would take a lot of brainstorming and such to settle on the basic concept and background. And there's always going to be details to fine-tune...

Okay, so we'll go for the first option, if other people agree as well. (Where are they anyways? Is anyone even paying attention to this thread? )

And just to make sure, you're saying that no, rping as an npc wouldn't really mean much for approach 1, right?
    It would be hard to stay in the background as an NPC really. However, I'm a little confused by the term NPC because in my head that just sounds like someone who usually interacts but stays in the background of most things...

And lol ok I guess we are going with the first option!

Ok... so I guess the next step would be to start working on the plot. Any thoughts on this? Just to be clear too, once we have the main overall plot figured out, we can still build into the plot with our characters, new ideas, etc. We just need a good solid start.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ayumi] View Post
    Is it still considered RP if the character is made to look like you, named after you, and TRIES to dress like you? Lol
    Yes, that's fine! It's not like we know you in real life so it doesn't matter either way ~ :P
    Last edited by Dai-RPG; Aug 14, 2015 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dai-RPG View Post
    Well I was thinking we could take a couple of approaches to this...

1) The first approach would be to create a story unique to the PSO2 universe, but with our own twist. The races and planets would be the same, but the actual plot itself will be completely different since our characters would be heavily involved in the plot rather than the NPCs themselves. Heck, if we even wanted we could reuse some of the current zones as new planets if we so desire.
    This would be probably the most stable option. It also works better because we create an AU of PSO2. Trying to play in the PSO2 universe would be odd, because in the story one of the major antagonists is actually you from the future. On top of that, the story is told as if you are the only actual player in the game. So it would be strange if people like Zeno and the like were friends with all of us.

I like this idea, making an original story with similar characters.

2) Second approach would be to pertain to the actual story itself with our characters. Personally I would find this kind of hard to do since the plot of PSO2 is extremely hard to follow due to the Matter Board system and everything doesn't add up too well yet.
    Some events work well, others don't because of plot. Although I haven't played too much into the story because I'm afraid of missing things due to the lack of translation.

3) Pretty farfetched but... We could try to do something completely different. Example: Maybe make some sort of Sword Art Online or .Hack kind of RP where we are playing an MMO but it's a life/death situation of some sort, of course this is just an option I thought about, but was never really on the forefront. But if you find this idea cooler than we could go more towards this route where we can just make it completely different.
    I've already been brainstorming something like this, only except that it was a self-insert of myself and how I came to terms with being in the PSO2 universe AKA shitting my pants silly at the sight of a photorealistic Dagan tearing a rookie ARKS to pieces.

In that regard I've already written some fanlore for the game. None of it is really all that vital to the story, but it would help to explain some of the mechanics that you see in the game and reconcile them in a logical sense.

Meseta:
    Meseta is a block of raw material used extensively by the ARKS fleet. Through the process of matter-structuring, meseta can be reshaped into any object, be it toys, machine parts, or even soil for agriculture. Due to this it is a very vital resource of the fleet, and is utilized as currency. One no longer needs to buy premade objects, but can simply insert a specific amount of meseta into a fabricator to produce the desired product.

The discovery of meseta was revolutionary, as fleets no longer needed to stockpile specific types of materials for construction and fabrication. This lead to a massive increase in production efficiency, notably in the widespread creation and use of photon weapons to combat the threat of the Darkers which were widespread throughout the galaxy. Previously, such weapons required materials that were difficult to synthesize normally. With the introduction of meseta-based fabrication however, even Rookie ARKS members can now disembark on missions equipped with the latest photon weapon technology.

Meseta is created from the reaction of matter and photon energy. It is for this reason that meseta can often be found on the corpses of Darkers and other creatures defeated by photon-based weaponry. Non-organic matter can also be used to generate meseta. However most photon weapons are not designed to output such high amounts of energy, and a drill or photon processor is needed.

MAG:
    Mechanized Autonomous Guardian. Mags are the robotic partners of the ARKS, providing them with a multitude of support features such as topography scans, enemy information, and item storage. Specialized Mags are even able to assist in combat. Although they lack the True AI capabilities unique of the Cast race, they are still extremely intelligent and maintain constant awareness in the face of work, danger, and even rest. Mags are used not only by ARKS members, but also by civilians and the colonial military forces in day to day tasks.

However the most remarkable feature of a Mag, is its ability to maintain the vital signs of its owner in dire situations. Since the introduction of Mags into the ARKS military operations and expeditions, the casualty rate has decreased by 55%. All Mags now come equipped with on-board medical systems to stabilize the vitals of their owners should they suffer from any fatal injuries. While it is not enough to replace the usage of Moon-class Atomizers, the lives of many ARKS have been saved due to the few seconds bought by the Mag to allow them to be safely extracted by their comrades.

It would be hard to stay in the background as an NPC really. However, I'm a little confused by the term NPC because in my head that just sounds like someone who usually interacts but stays in the background of most things...
    What I mean by playing as NPC is... hm, how do I explain this. ;;
    It's like rping a canon/official character in other fandoms (movie, anime, comics, book, etc), but I call it npc because this is a game.
    So if I say I want to rp as Afin, I would make a character who looks like Afin, name him Afin and have him interact with your characters while reacting to whatever story we'll be going with.
    In a way, it's sort of like an AU, as Kokurokoki said it. Does that clear it up a bit? And does that make it okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokurokoki View Post
    Meseta:
    Meseta is a block of raw material used extensively by the ARKS fleet. Through the process of matter-structuring, meseta can be reshaped into any object, be it toys, machine parts, or even soil for agriculture. Due to this it is a very vital resource of the fleet, and is utilized as currency. One no longer needs to buy premade objects, but can simply insert a specific amount of meseta into a fabricator to produce the desired product.

The discovery of meseta was revolutionary, as fleets no longer needed to stockpile specific types of materials for construction and fabrication. This lead to a massive increase in production efficiency, notably in the widespread creation and use of photon weapons to combat the threat of the Darkers which were widespread throughout the galaxy. Previously, such weapons required materials that were difficult to synthesize normally. With the introduction of meseta-based fabrication however, even Rookie ARKS members can now disembark on missions equipped with the latest photon weapon technology.

Meseta is created from the reaction of matter and photon energy. It is for this reason that meseta can often be found on the corpses of Darkers and other creatures defeated by photon-based weaponry. Non-organic matter can also be used to generate meseta. However most photon weapons are not designed to output such high amounts of energy, and a drill or photon processor is needed.

MAG:
    Mechanized Autonomous Guardian. Mags are the robotic partners of the ARKS, providing them with a multitude of support features such as topography scans, enemy information, and item storage. Specialized Mags are even able to assist in combat. Although they lack the True AI capabilities unique of the Cast race, they are still extremely intelligent and maintain constant awareness in the face of work, danger, and even rest. Mags are used not only by ARKS members, but also by civilians and the colonial military forces in day to day tasks.

However the most remarkable feature of a Mag, is its ability to maintain the vital signs of its owner in dire situations. Since the introduction of Mags into the ARKS military operations and expeditions, the casualty rate has decreased by 55%. All Mags now come equipped with on-board medical systems to stabilize the vitals of their owners should they suffer from any fatal injuries. While it is not enough to replace the usage of Moon-class Atomizers, the lives of many ARKS have been saved due to the few seconds bought by the Mag to allow them to be safely extracted by their comrades.
    I really like the background bits you gave it to meseta and mags. It's always nice to see how people change the in-game elements to fit with RPs.
    We should definitely go with this if everyone is okay with it.

Enforcer of Evil™

MAGs were actually made in the Void Laboratories (as mentionned by Patty & Tia in an event tablet). Something about research with darkers (ie : Photon Blasts, but don't quote me on this very specific part).
    Casts aren't just robots, they're also cyborgs (at least 1 fairly popular caseal is strongly hinted to have been human, as are some other story NPCs).
    I don't know about that meseta explanation tho. Matter you can turn into pretty much anything? And we thought photons were already the answer to all of life's problems!... Sounds like it can do a tad too much, imo.

Also personally I've always theorised that "HP" is really a photonic barrier protecting our bodies and when we drop to 0 we actually get knocked out by the hit due to the barrier no longer protecting us (and since melee classes use photon to reinforce their bodies (real stuff), it explains why they have higher HP, than tech classes who focus on shaping photons).
    Not like anyone ever listened to me on that one, but eh.
    PSO2 Ship 2 : オゲラウン ("ogeraun"), caseal HU/FI/RA/GU/FO/TE/BR/BO/SU75. Have a good time.

oooooOooOoO i always wanted to try rping! Can i join?

Quote Originally Posted by Dycize View Post
    MAGs were actually made in the Void Laboratories (as mentionned by Patty & Tia in an event tablet). Something about research with darkers (ie : Photon Blasts, but don't quote me on this very specific part).
    If i recall casts/newmans/dewmans/mags came from Void labs

Quote Originally Posted by Dycize View Post
    Casts aren't just robots, they're also cyborgs (at least 1 fairly popular caseal is strongly hinted to have been human, as are some other story NPCs).
    I thought all of them were cyborgs O_o

Enforcer of Evil™

It's...
    Actually a sort of "well they aren't saying it..." thing.
    Until the story came around and decided to tell us a bit about races we had no idea what casts were. Maybe robots, maybe cyborgs, maybe lilipas piloting robot suits...
    In fact, my RP experience has shown that most people consider them robots, heh (and I won't hide it : I also made my character will "full bot" in mind). Plus, casts have pretty much always been robots in past games.
    So personally I just go with "there's both until Sega clearly says otherwise".
    And yes, other races also come from void labs. Humans themselves aren't exactly normal anyway (ever since photon and ARKS became a thing...).