Default PSE & Bursting 101

Hey all, I made this guide for my team about a year back and noticed nothing remotely like it on here and figured it is not public knowledge given the utterly terrible bursts and behavior of most players during the very rare bursts in Random MPA's...The guide is more geared to bursting in AQ however. Constructive criticism is welcome as always but please back up your criticism or it will be ignored entirely.

PSE or “Photon Sensitive Effect” is a system in PSO2 that relates to killing monsters in missions, (amongst other things that we will get to later) kill enough monsters fast enough and raise the PSE lv to Lv8 and a PSE Burst will occur. When a PSE Burst is triggered a timer will start counting down from 1 minute, 1minute 30 in VITA blocks, and for the duration of the burst monsters will continually spawn in the party’s location. Killing enough monsters in the right way will cause the burst timer to reset and continue spawning monsters.

In mission areas each type of monster is linked to a PSE effect and depending on the type of mission you will have 3 or 4 possible effects that can happen at once. (EQ only has 3 possible effects whereas VHAQ\SHAQ and most other have 4) Also worth noting is that the monsters linked to a particular PSE effect will change as you move to different areas as it’s all randomly assigned upon creation of the mission instance.

So first thing we need to be doing is to pay attention to which monsters are raising which PSE levels as we are fighting, this will be essential if you want to burst for long periods as ideally we need to control which effects are leveling if possible.

The next is to watch out for the PSE symbols that appear at the top of the screen along with the towers of light that sometimes rise from defeated enemies. The colour of which indicates the element that should be used to kill the mobs in that area. Using a corresponding element will cause the PSE lv to rise faster than using other elements. Forces should be extra aware as they have easiest access to different elemental attacks.

• Red = Fire
    • Yellow = Lightning
    • Blue = Ice
    • Green = wind
    • Purple = dark
    • White = light

Now the next thing to keep in mind is how maps are run, this is especially important in Advanced Quests as the monsters do not respawn. You will want to look for the most efficient path possible through the map the idea being as soon as one spawn is defeated you are moving as quickly as possible to the next part of the map where more mobs can spawn. Do not hang around collecting items as this should be done as you are defeating the spawn. This can be hard as the map will be hidden so luck is required to a certain degree.

Kill enough monsters fast enough and the PSE effect will hit lv8 and a burst will occur.
    Depending on how fast you kill you will either go straight into a PSE burst or you will get a burst chance. If you get a chance then monsters will continue at normal rates to spawn in the party’s location, kill enough in a minute and a burst is triggered fail and the PSE level will reset.

PSE Burst

Finally we have a PSE burst and the timer is ticking down from one minute, what now? Do a mag chain then KILL KILL KILL. Your main objective is to kill enough monsters to trigger more PSE levels. Raise enough PSE levels and when the timer runs out it will give a “one more” resetting the timer and continuing the burst. Raise a different PSE lv to lv 8 and a Cross burst will occur resulting in even more spawns and an extra long timer. There are a number of factors in play but 2 stand head and shoulders above the rest other than simply killing as many monsters as possible as fast as possible.

1. STAY CLOSE TO THE REST OF THE PARTY - Ideally stay within resta/shifta range of each other. This is of utmost importance. The reason being monsters will continually spawn close to the party’s location. If someone is running off to kill more distant mobs it will cause monsters to spawn further away from that lone player and thus even further from the rest of the party. This is especially difficult for melee classes who will want to run off to attack monsters out of their range. Don’t do it, distant monsters are the Forces/Rangers job to kill in a burst. Conversely Ranger and Forces should be looking to kill more distant mobs leaving closer monsters for the melee classes to kill.

2. MAG BLAST CHAINS FTW. Mag blasts during bursts increase the One More chance at the end of a burst. Chained mag blasts increase one more chance greatly. Chaining is very easy to do. When you activate your mag blast you should hold the button down, you will see a large glowing circle, to chain simply overlap your circle with someone else’s circle. The “one more” chance will increase depending on the number of people chaining their mags. 4 player chains in SHAQ are required for good one more chances in full parties.

Always chain as soon as the initial burst happens as this will give the maximum time to recharge that PB gauge and hopefully get another chain in before the burst ends.

If you cross burst you will get a one more guaranteed after the initial cross timer runs out, save your mag chains for after the clock resets for the one more as its wasted otherwise.

ProTIP – Ketos Proi is the best Blast to have on a mag for PSE burst use by a clear country mile. The reasoning is that it does not do any actual damage it gives you and everyone else in range very fast PP regen and it actually charges far faster than the other Blasts allowing you more chances at mag chains. Plus hey, who doesn't need rapid regen pp in a burst! this is available at the Excube shop in the shop area of the Arks ship for 8 Excubes.

Theres also argument that Julius Nifta is a good alternative and I'm sure it has its place but I feel that ketos proi's increased charge rate makes it more suitable for better bursts.

With all this in mind a decently equipped mid/high level party will have little trouble triggering multiple bursts in Advanced Quests. However, you require some real DPS and special tactics to get long bursts in SHAQ since Ep3 came into play.

Now we will look at how we can extend bursts and more importantly trigger Cross Bursts.

So you want to burst for longer do you? Well it’s possible if you’re observant of what mobs boost what PSE levels and have run your map well. I must add that Maps are the lifeblood of bursting in Advance quests, get a bad map and your chances of a good burst drop like a stone. Got a good map? Well we better pray the monsters spawn in a good way. As you can see much is reliant on luck.

One tactic that can be very useful is spawn chaining. Assuming you have a PSE burst and the monsters spawning in the burst are not raising the other PSE levels by much you may want to move the entire party to a different location on the map. You will be looking to leg it as fast as possible to a location that has not had any monsters spawn yet as you want a new full spawn to hopefully bump up the other levels and cause a cross burst. Again this is entirely dependent on luck as we just don’t know what will spawn next.

One thing to be aware of is that monsters will continue to spawn at the original location and along the way as you move through the map looking for the next spawn, forces and rangers it is your job to kill the monsters still spawning from the burst otherwise they will still be on the map once you reach the new location and no more burst spawns will occur till they die.

In an ideal world you will burst, cross that burst, one more, cross again, one more, cross again , one more , cross again then one more as many times as possible. its rare that maps and spawns will allow this but totally possible.

Hopefully this guide has clued you in to what to do to get burst time.

equipping Resist/Flame++
    Last edited by Halikus; Sep 17, 2015 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spincast View Post
    thanks for sharing!
    Kinda amazed no one gave this attention for 10 days.

Shigure ship 2. Credit to agarwood for the picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Maninbluejumpsuit View Post
    Kinda amazed no one gave this attention for 10 days.
    If spincast didn't bump it, I wouldn't have know that it existed lol. Didn't know how I missed this.

Great guide, really didn't know about the element matching and PB chaining.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, much appreciated.

Just made a small update to the guide regarding spawn chaining and keeping the kills going along the way.

Do you have any source for the thing about PB chains continuing the burst? I thought that was just a myth.

It was stated clearly in Dengeki and in a niconico broadcast around 2 1/2 years back how it all worked but since this info is old and not well documented many new players just don't have access to it.

Also personal experience from countless long AQ bursts, I don't think there's any doubt that it adds to the one more chance as parties with good chain discipline get long bursts regularly and those without rely on pure dumb luck to get good spawns and thus don't get regular long bursts.

Quote Originally Posted by Halikus View Post
    In mission areas each type of monster is linked to a PSE effect and depending on the type of mission you will have 3 or 4 possible effects that can happen at once. (EQ only has 3 possible effects whereas VHAQ\SHAQ and most other have 4) Also worth noting is that the monsters linked to a particular PSE effect will change as you move to different areas as it’s all randomly assigned upon creation of the mission instance.

So first thing we need to be doing is to pay attention to which monsters are raising which PSE levels as we are fighting, this will be essential if you want to burst for long periods as ideally we need to control which effects are leveling if possible.
    This can't be accurate because you can kill two of the same mob in a spawn and get two different PSE. You want all the PSE to rise for long bursts anyway, so it's best to kill everything quickly without discriminating. The most important thing to do is pay attention to what colors correspond to PSE, so that you can be ready to rush to the exit or wherever it is you want to burst when you hit level 7-8.

The next is to watch out for the PSE symbols that appear at the top of the screen along with the towers of light that sometimes rise from defeated enemies. The colour of which indicates the element that should be used to kill the mobs in that area. Using a corresponding element will cause the PSE lv to rise faster than using other elements. Forces should be extra aware as they have easiest access to different elemental attacks.
    Are you talking about the element boost PSE here? Matching your elements with the PSE doesn't cause PSE levels to rise faster, and you definitely should not match element with techs considering all the damage bonuses that come with matching the enemy's weakness, which these PSE often (but not always) don't match (I.E. Dark Boost in VC or Ice Boost in FC). These PSE are also pretty much nonexistent, only show up in free field/ARKS quests.

Depending on how fast you kill you will either go straight into a PSE burst or you will get a burst chance. If you get a chance then monsters will continue at normal rates to spawn in the party’s location, kill enough in a minute and a burst is triggered fail and the PSE level will reset.
    Getting a burst during a PSE Chance is randomly determined, but the wording here makes it sound like a predetermined quantity. What happens is just that you need to raise the PSE level that prompted the PSE chance within that minute.

Finally we have a PSE burst and the timer is ticking down from one minute, what now? Do a mag chain then KILL KILL KILL.

2. MAG BLAST CHAINS FTW. Mag blasts during bursts increase the One More chance at the end of a burst. Chained mag blasts increase one more chance greatly. Chaining is very easy to do. When you activate your mag blast you should hold the button down, you will see a large glowing circle, to chain simply overlap your circle with someone else’s circle. The “one more” chance will increase depending on the number of people chaining their mags. 4 player chains in SHAQ are required for good one more chances in full parties.

Always chain as soon as the initial burst happens as this will give the maximum time to recharge that PB gauge and hopefully get another chain in before the burst ends.

If you cross burst you will get a one more guaranteed after the initial cross timer runs out, save your mag chains for after the clock resets for the one more as its wasted otherwise.

ProTIP – Ketos Proi is the best Blast to have on a mag for PSE burst use by a clear country mile. The reasoning is that it does not do any actual damage it gives you and everyone else in range very fast PP regen and it actually charges far faster than the other Blasts allowing you more chances at mag chains. Plus hey, who doesn't need rapid regen pp in a burst! this is available at the Excube shop in the shop area of the Arks ship for 8 Excubes.
    Can you provide a source that confirms that PB chains boost one more rates? I have never heard of this. It is not mentioned in swiki either, which would have it written down if Dengeki or an interview confirmed this. I've seen nothing about one mores besides being luck based, which is also how PSE functions in the first place, which is why it is invaluable to cross burst and add as much time as possible by quickly killing enemies. I also can't say I would recommend PB chains in general for PSE Bursts because both Ketos Proi and Julius Nifta are considerably more effective when used separately than they are used simultaneously, assuming there are more than one of each (which there should be, the rest aren't nearly as good). Having two back-to-back Ketos Proi or Julius Nifta is far more effective than both at once.

If personal experience means anything, I've had many (at least a dozen) bursts in VHAQs that lasted over 15 minutes and 4-5 one mores without intentionally PB chaining (and avoiding it where possible).

Theres also argument that Julius Nifta is a good alternative and I'm sure it has its place but I feel that ketos proi's increased charge rate makes it more suitable for better bursts.
    It varies, but ideally you should have both Ketos Proi and Julius Nifta in a burst. Ketos Proi is very valuable, but charges quickly enough that having too many can become redundant, while Julius Nifta's usefulness is not impacted by the quantity of players with it, since it can be used individually by everyone. Julius Nifta is particularly strong with high T-ATK, capable of one-shotting many mobs and heavily speeding up kills in a Burst. For VHAQ leveling, 1-2 Ketos Proi and the rest Julius Nifta is ideal imo.

Some things that would be useful to mention

-What PAs and techs should be used for each class during a PSE Burst
    -Crystal E-codes that boost PSE rates
    -Weather effects boost PSE rates
    -What colors correspond with what PSE (for example, red for EXP and rare enemy up, yellow for meseta, blue for PB gauge up)

Weather is an important one to mention because it boosts PSE rates and lowers the chances of them decreasing as time goes on, which I believe (but cannot confirm factually) also applies to one mores. AQs have frequent weather effects which is why PSE Bursts occur more often in them than any other quest type. Weather increasing PSE rates is confirmed within the game itself by those tips given at the top of the screen while loading.
    Last edited by LonelyGaruga; Sep 17, 2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Photon Sensitive Effect effects

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyGaruga View Post
    This can't be accurate because you can kill two of the same mob in a spawn and get two different PSE. You want all the PSE to rise for long bursts anyway, so it's best to kill everything quickly without discriminating. The most important thing to do is pay attention to what colors correspond to PSE, so that you can be ready to rush to the exit or wherever it is you want to burst when you hit level 7-8.

Are you talking about the element boost PSE here? Matching your elements with the PSE doesn't cause PSE levels to rise faster, and you definitely should not match element with techs considering all the damage bonuses that come with matching the enemy's weakness, which these PSE often (but not always) don't match (I.E. Dark Boost in VC or Ice Boost in FC). These PSE are also pretty much nonexistent, only show up in free field/ARKS quests.

Getting a burst during a PSE Chance is randomly determined, but the wording here makes it sound like a predetermined quantity. What happens is just that you need to raise the PSE level that prompted the PSE chance within that minute.

Can you provide a source that confirms that PB chains boost one more rates? I have never heard of this. It is not mentioned in swiki either, which would have it written down if Dengeki or an interview confirmed this. I've seen nothing about one mores besides being luck based, which is also how PSE functions in the first place, which is why it is invaluable to cross burst and add as much time as possible by quickly killing enemies. I also can't say I would recommend PB chains in general for PSE Bursts because both Ketos Proi and Julius Nifta are considerably more effective when used separately than they are used simultaneously, assuming there are more than one of each (which there should be, the rest aren't nearly as good). Having two back-to-back Ketos Proi or Julius Nifta is far more effective than both at once.

If personal experience means anything, I've had many (at least a dozen) bursts in VHAQs that lasted over 15 minutes and 4-5 one mores without intentionally PB chaining (and avoiding it where possible).

It varies, but ideally you should have both Ketos Proi and Julius Nifta in a burst. Ketos Proi is very valuable, but charges quickly enough that having too many can become redundant, while Julius Nifta's usefulness is not impacted by the quantity of players with it, since it can be used individually by everyone. Julius Nifta is particularly strong with high T-ATK, capable of one-shotting many mobs and heavily speeding up kills in a Burst. For VHAQ leveling, 1-2 Ketos Proi and the rest Julius Nifta is ideal imo.

Some things that would be useful to mention

-What PAs and techs should be used for each class during a PSE Burst
    -Crystal E-codes that boost PSE rates
    -Weather effects boost PSE rates
    -What colors correspond with what PSE (for example, red for EXP and rare enemy up, yellow for meseta, blue for PB gauge up)

Weather is an important one to mention because it boosts PSE rates and lowers the chances of them decreasing as time goes on, which I believe (but cannot confirm factually) also applies to one mores. AQs have frequent weather effects which is why PSE Bursts occur more often in them than any other quest type. Weather increasing PSE rates is confirmed within the game itself by those tips given at the top of the screen while loading.
    This guys made accurate correction and statement. especially aboutr the chaining mag blast not being a good idea!\

Thread is almost two years old, shouldn't necro it unless you had some new knowledge of mechanics to add, or the whole system was changed, but even then, a new thread would have been made.