Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25323334353637 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Palle View Post
    I just want some closure. It's hard to move past the loss of something when its cadaver is being traipsed around in a sick pantomime.

Hoping 2016 is SEGA's year of bankruptcy.
    "If I can't have it then others can't either."

Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Seijass View Post

Good one.
    Pretty short-sighted, don't you think? It's more of a statement declaring they'd "get what's coming to them" rather than the intention of taking something people enjoy away from them.
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Seijass View Post

Good one.
    That's not even what he's saying.

This next analogy of mine might seem a bit too melodramatic but, if someone brutally beat and/or killed a childhood friend of yours, wouldn't you want them to suffer for their actions?

PSO was indeed somewhat of a childhood friend to many people on these forums - it had a deep effect on them and elicits strong feelings of nostalgia and goodhearted fun from a simpler time. So, is it so hard to imagine that these people might be a tad distraught seeing how fucking obnoxious and ridiculous the Phantasy Star series has gotten - how much of a total abortion SEGA has made PSO2 in particular?

Shit, some people could barely stomach PSU, and the amount of cornball anime garbage in that game was mere child's play compared to what we're seeing in PSO2 now. I mean, it's off the goddamned charts, here.

If you like what PSO2 is, then that's cool - good for you. But, for the love of whatever god you may believe in, saying that this game is fine in the sense of it being a Phantasy Star game and/or living up to the name of PSO, you're totally fucking wrong. Sorry, kiddos.

PSO2 is not fine as Phantasy Star and it's not supposed to live up PSO1's name. People are ridiculing "outraged" ones precisely because they didn't see PSO2 as a joke before this whole thing happened.
    If you quit the game long ago because you saw stupidity coming, it's fine. If you only noticed the stupidity after EP4 trailer revealed, that shows shortsightedness.
    Not all of us think it's "ok", or that we don't want a better story. We gave up our hopes on atmosphere of PSO2 long ago and just learned to take it for what it is - a massive nonsensical guilty pleasure of kicking ass.

Whether such acceptance is good or bad, one decides for themselves. Next big Phantasy Star title should be better than this. I believe following franchise lore is important, but PSO2 made it go FUBAR from the start. I just don't give myself false hopes on things.
    Last edited by isCasted; Dec 28, 2015 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    PSO was indeed somewhat of a childhood friend to many people on these forums - it had a deep effect on them and elicits strong feelings of nostalgia and goodhearted fun from a simpler time. So, is it so hard to imagine that these people might be a tad distraught seeing how fucking obnoxious and ridiculous the Phantasy Star series has gotten - how much of a total abortion SEGA has made PSO2 in particular?
    Personally, PSO represents the best days of my life, back in the few years after high school when I just spent all day having a good time with my friends, huddled around a GameCube trying to figure out how the hell to get a Dark Flow. It also represents the genesis of two of my longest lived and most storied characters, Xion and Kurai my original HUmar and FOnewarl who live on in PSO2. PSO and my adventures with my friends inspired us to flesh out our characters and ultimately create a wealth of lore behind them. To this day we still talk about the crazy shit we experienced in PSO, and we still play our characters according to the personas we established for them years ago.

To say that Phantasy Star Online has had an impact on me is an understatement. To see something that intimately linked to my history get kicked in the nuts just to follow a profitable fad is just depressing. It's the lack of respect for the series by it's own creators that kills me the most.

It kinda makes me think of all the people who got extremely pissed off at small things back in PSO2's first character reveal trailers.

Some people up and left PSOW just because the HUnewearl's default outfit showed midriff. Just because of that.

I imagine those folk would have to be outright institutionalized if they ever saw these new trailers and features, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AkuTenshiiZero View Post
    It's the lack of respect for the series by it's own creators that kills me the most.
    (This quote is only until the dashes. Everything else after is my response to the thread in general. Just wanted to clear that before anyone thinks I'm bashing AkuTenshiiZero. I'm not. I completely agree with what they wrote.)

To be honest, it's been like that for the longest time. Don't get me wrong. Episode 1 was amazing. Episode 2 was alright. But at the start of Episode 2, we started getting more costumes rather than content. I know content takes a while to make, but at the same time I wonder how much work could be done if graphical artists that made costumes were helping with environmental art.

Episode 2 was half of what Episode 1 was, but it was alright. Episode 3 was good for the fact that it increased mechanics that were bugging players. Slow movement speed, skill trees. But the same thing happened. They focused more on collaboration than content.

Episode 4? It seems like they're beating a dead horse.

---

With that said though, if I was in Sega's shoes. I'd be doing the same thing right now. To explain. Phantasy Star Online 2 is essentially a free game. You don't need to pay anything to play it outside of your bills. You are not giving Sega money if you don't want.

If Sega stopped all the things they do for the game because one member of the community didn't like it, they'd go broke. They have to pay people to do the work to make the game happen. That includes all the collaborations. As far as it goes, the money Sega receives from players is purely donation, so to speak. You have enjoyed the game, there for you spent money on it. Some more than others. Personally, I'm not proud of the amount I spent when I calculated it. But I paid what I did because at the time, I did enjoy what PSO2 was.

Do I think PSO2 is moving in the right direction? No. Not at all. To me this is a mockery of what Phantasy Star was. It pisses me off as a fan. To someone who has done development work, who has seen the struggle, I do understand that they have to go where the money is.

They(Sega) promised players 10 years of PSO2. If you want PSO1, go play PSO1. Stop pidgeonholding PSO2 because you want it to be what PSO1 was. Because let's be honest, I'm sure most if not all of us love the Phantasy Star Series, whether it is the Original games, Online, Zero, Portable, Universe, whatever. The first PSO was just that, the first PSO. As much as Sega tried, they utilized the tech at the time the best they could. PSO1 died with Blue Burst. Yeah, it lasted, but it was the same shit over and over, and over, and over.

For what it's worth. Sega is a company. You can love or hate what they do. That is up to you. But just as those of you who do work, don't work for free, neither do they. They will go where the money is. The same as EA, Sony, Microsoft, anyone else. They are not a charity. I'm not saying you don't have the right to complain. I'm just saying, you're a "fan". Sega gave the game for free. They could've charged us all for it. They didn't. Yes, they have cash shop. Fees for hosting and development aren't cheap. Wanting Sega to go bankrupt because you hate PSO2's direction is a shitty thing to say, especially when you are playing a game you didn't have to pay for.

Tl;dr, Sega is a company that will follow the money. They do what they have to to hook people and get them to spend money so they can keep their promise of keeping PSO2 alive for the time they specified. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean Sega deserves to go bankrupt, it just means you're a shitty person and need to grow up. If it bothers you, there are plenty of other games out there.

"Don't look for the people in your past. There is a reason they don't exist in your future." - Riesz
    Ship 2 - ID: Chrysheight

Quote Originally Posted by BIG OLAF View Post
    Tchoo tchoo
    The best part is, your analogy was spot on. Because the people in the mindset you defend only see what they want to see. I'm sorry but what he said stands true; hurt as you may be, you're not alone in the world, and choosing to ignore everything that's in the way of your pain's legitimacy is called egoism. It's not about saying you should or shouldn't be upset. It's about you realizing that it doesn't give you any right on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    [PSO2 is simply stupid]
    You know, I really don't think so. I think there is a common misconception out there that something that looks silly was made in a silly way. That people who create stupid things aren't making quality a priority. It's just silly, right? But in the end, the story chapters do, to my surprise, have a mostly serious tale they're trying to tell, as well as character development to deliver; the new content, behind all the schoolgirl uniforms that come along with it, always focuses on gameplay, and behind the horse masks and whatnots are people that care about doing their job well. Probably.
    What I'm saying is that we, as an audience, like for things to be streamlined. For instance, if a game is to be taken seriously, most everything about it must be serious; and I don't think that's unreasonable. But PSO2 catters to the japanese, and after one too many instance of my j-rpg team going to "relax" at the hot springs when the world could be destroyed at any moment, I have concluded that as an audience, the japanese simply aren't like us. They don't expect the same things, they don't like the same things.
    Do they actually take this game seriously, though, that's another issue... But I'm pretty sure Sega would have stopped releasing new story chapters by now, if nobody was playing them -which is something, considering how fetch-y matterboards tend to get.

The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jooozek View Post
    call of duty of rising dead of yakuza of initial d of jojo's bizzare adventure of densha de go of godzilla of high school life
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj49eS4sxeU

spoiler:
    Spoiler!
    I don't cite this video as evidence that PSO2 has jumped the shark. I cite this video as evidence of my theory that Sega has been spending the localisation funds on crack cocaine.

But who knows? This all might be building up to a crossover.

The Profound Duckness SuperCentipede's Avatar

And naturally, it's set in Japan where all the weird sh!t happens. Where else?

Personally, I'd like the ARKS arrival to go a little more like this.