Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Well I'm bored...pronunciation discussion?

PSO2 has to offer tons of mobs, items and quest with unique names and such. Not exactly sure where this is leading but sometimes I question how I say certain things. In this case I think Darkers get the most attention in this situation.

I've Voice chatted with tons of people who play PSO2 and it seems almost all of them have a different way of pronouncing names believe it or not. Example would be Zeshrayda. When I first seen him I read it as zesh-raa-duh but after talking to some friends I ended up reading it as zesh-ray-duh. I Still have this problem with Goldrahda. I Seriously switch between how I pronounce the name of this mob. Gol-ra-duh to Gold-dra-duh. It's a force of habit and sometimes I forget this is a Japanese game so pronunciation is probably even more confusing between english and japanese. There's plenty more I have but these are just some examples. I've heard Vin-cul-lum and Vi-nic-u-lum and I can't decide which is right, wrong or even closer lol. Just some thoughts I guess.

inb4 im just stupid

average Tuesday in the West

Everything's pretty much pronounced how it's spelt except Fundarge(foon-DAH-jee), which I think the translation team were on crack when they decided on that spelling.
    FiliaMortis * SARA-013 * Kiyoko * Akane * Vikky * Mei * Alicia * Ophelia

Mattykins - Ship 02

Quote Originally Posted by Mattykins View Post
    Everything's pretty much pronounced how it's spelt except Fundarge(foon-DAH-jee), which I think the translation team were on crack when they decided on that spelling.
    that's a shame. the "hda" in darker names vocally appear different from majority people I speak too. I guess I just thought about it too much. I still think vinculum is debatable though.

Whats an ares? :wacko: AlVaRo0515's Avatar

Gwana= J-Waohnuh
    RIP Ship 2.
    Hoeski: 75/75/75/75/75/75/75/54
    HU/RA/FO/FI/GU/TE/BR/BO
    Spoiler!

Nah, pretty sure vinculum is, well... vinculum
    FiliaMortis * SARA-013 * Kiyoko * Akane * Vikky * Mei * Alicia * Ophelia

Mattykins - Ship 02

Not to start another good ol' fashioned country war, but I've noticed that American players in general pronounce things differently to how I hear people from other English speaking countries pronounce stuff- must be something to do with how languages are developed/taught/physically spoken etc.

First noticed this on the old PSO- some American friends of mine would pronounce Zonde almost as Zon-day (exaggerated a bit to get the pronunciation across) where I would say Zond.

Megid was another nice one - my friends' mej-id to my mee-gid.

Also, Rag-Knee

Japanese borrow words from multiple languages, so translating one of these borrowed words into another language can be confusing at times. However, sometimes they just get things wrong, like how we know that Pisces is pronounced pie-sees, but Japanese pronounce it as piss-kess (seriously, are there even any other languages that pronounce it this way?).

But I digress. For the most part, names in this game--be it for characters, enemies, areas, items, anything--are completely made up, so coming up with "100% accurate" translations is for the entirety of the game is literally impossible, unless you came up with the words yourself, so the best thing you can do most of the time is work off of the Japanese pronunciation.

Also, Vinculum is an actual word, and is pronounced vin-kyu-lum. The Japanese spelling uses the classic Latin pronunciation, using "win" instead of "vin". Both are correct. Other pronunciations are just wrong.

Nihongo uses mostly long vowel sounds and most of the words are very syllabic in nature, which is quite similar to my native language that I've never really had any problems with pronunciation.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarSarah View Post
    in other news, accept your angular tits.

English is only my second language. You guys would find it funny or hit your head to the wall if you heard my use of french pronounciation with some akward english pronounciation thrown in.
    Ship 2
    ID: Mentalist
    Chareen, FOTE
    Tasia, GUHU/RA, RAHU or SUGU.