Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Phantasy Star Let's Play

While I wait for the translation team to continue work on the story for Phantasy Star Online 2 Episode 3 I've started up a let's play for the original Phantasy Star. You can check it out below.

A big shout out to BenoitRen who helped me years ago on what I did the intro for the let's play on.

Last edited by PrinceBrightstar; May 7, 2016 at 08:50 AM.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I'm three episodes in, and I noticed you said you did a speed run? Is that the one I saw on SpeedDemoArchive?

Brightstar! Oh my god it is you! I've never been able to talk with a speed runner before. I'll be interested in seeing how you play this game compared to how I would do it. Already I'm impressed that you have all the steps and maps memorized, though our general strategy doesn't seem to be much different than what I would do. I probably would have bought more equipment before heading into the Naula cave so I could earn more money and exp in there, but I guess grinding beforehand and waiting until the next tier is quicker?
    Last edited by Zorafim; Mar 4, 2016 at 09:32 PM.

Just finished the fourth episode, and do you really have a four hour segment of grinding after playing for just over an hour?

Just finished the fifth episode. Why did you go after the crystal? Does that do anything besides weaken Lassic? Why did you go into Medusa's tower when the laconium axe is useless? And why did you get most of the way through the level cap before you really started the game?

Oh. Episode 6 explains why you bothered with the Laconium Axe.

Wow quadruple post. Wasn't expect that to happen!

My intent behind this one is not to do a speed run. If that was the case I wouldn't be stopping to talk to everyone, but it should be obvious that multiple elements are showing up from my speed run. Let's also not forget that speed run is over 10 years old at this point. If I ever were to try another run, it'd probably be in PSU. Also there's a reason I'm talking to everyone, and that'll be revealed after I finish the let's play.

I don't go to Medusa in the speed run because like you said, Medusa is an optional boss. I just didn't want to leave anything lying around. If not dealt with lore wise they'd still be menacing Palma even after Lassic and DF are dead. I just find it funny you can take them out without even needing the mirror shield. The crystal doesn't do anything, I just didn't think it'd be fun to speak to Damor, then go back to town to get healed and then climb up again in the same segment. Plus I'm trying to make this unique compared to other let's plays that might have come before. In the speed run I also only grinded for about an hour there and another 30 minutes or so on Motavia I think.

Regarding memorization, it's not like that. I've got a set of maps pulled up on another screen. I guess I'm just familiar enough with the route that I don't need to look that often. (and you'll see a mess up I make in episode 8 regarding Motavia once I get that edited.) I'm targeting 11 episodes in total as of right now if I've planned things correctly.
    Last edited by PrinceBrightstar; Mar 6, 2016 at 11:48 PM.

That's probably a big flaw of the first two phantasy star games. You just can't proceed without studying maps and even having them up. The only way for me to enjoy PS1 is if I have a world and dungeon map up at all times. The Generations remake actually makes this worse by increasing the number of events that only happen if you talk to someone, and even requiring you to talk with them multiple times before the flag is tripped.

Doing all the events makes sense. Talking with everyone in a town definitely makes sense in a let's play, since knowing all the information the game has to tell you is one of the most fun parts of old RPGs. It didn't occur to me that doing Medusa's tower is something fun that the fanbase would enjoy seeing. And the axe is actually helping a lot more than I expected.
    I think when I normally play (on emulator), I savestate my way through the tower and rope my way to victory for that little boost.

I still don't get why you spent four hours grinding. Most of the fun in RPGs is struggling with resource management, and having a way out if you don't have enough. I feel like grinding makes an RPG less fun, both because of the monotony of the act and how it removes challenge from the game. Obviously you still need to grind for spells and equipment, but I feel like getting to 22 was overdoing it.

And yes, quadrupedal post. Nobody posts in this subforum, so who cares about normal etiquette. Past the first few episodes you always had something to comment on, so why not?

Oh trust me, you'll see my method of "save states" to avoid encounters soon enough when I go on my tour of Dezoris. Part of the reason I grinded for so long is so I could prepare myself as best I could for the final boss. I'd rather get it out of the way early on. It's just my style of play I guess. Plus without doing that I couldn't have been able to come up with this route that most Let's Players would never run into, making mine a unique experience. Also the final boss even at that level can two shot a character in a single round so I wanted to have at least some assurance I wouldn't be reloading over and over.

This run motivated me to start up my own run. I got Odin and tried to do either the Iron Fang cave or the Cake cave, but no amount of leveling and gearing got me strong enough to handle it. Three hours after I started I stopped.
    I forgot how archaic this game was. PSIV, proper knowledge of the battle system and level placements could mean you can get to the end without any grinding. But the skill cap in this game is so low, the only thing you can do is grind. Considering that, it makes sense that you would grind as much as you did. It becomes much more watchable if you don't have to spend time between villages to grind for money, not to mention time lost on deaths.

So, you already replaced the axe. Makes sense, the laser gun is by far the best weapon in the game. Does more damage than the fire spell for free, against every enemy. The cases where the axe beats it out are so rare and inconsequential there's no point in keeping it around.
    I always wondered about old games. Balancing them doesn't seem that hard, yet there's always one thing that's obviously better than everything else.
    That being said... Uhg that sound!

Though I leveled up to 22 in the grinding session, I think by the time I was done with the speed run, I was only 17 or 18 with Alis. I think it took around 30-40 reloads before the RNG gave me what I needed to finish the game.

Episode 8 added.