Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: OverParse

That sounds awessomeeeeee.
    Thanks to everyone involved making this great tool that SEGA ought to have built into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TaigaUC View Post
    That sounds awessomeeeeee.
    Thanks to everyone involved making this great tool that SEGA ought to have built into the game.
    Don't want to get into a fight about parsing or some other similar subject, but most games will just avoid such tools since players will use them to discriminate against other players. There's alot of info missing from the parser that people don't realize, and there's still some parties who will leave a mpa because not everyone is super crazy high dps.

Admittedly it does help you to find leeches, but thats just an altogether messy subject also. That said I do use Overparse and it's a wonderful tool, but it makes me so sad when people with big e-pens start boasting or kick players from parties for not having so~so dps.

a parser in an action game sounds kinda dumb to me

sig by gama
    Justina human female Te/Hu maybe braver soon
    Shayla newman female Br/Ra
    Alisha.EXE cast female Bo/Hu
    ship 02 team:none

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaha View Post
    That said I do use Overparse and it's a wonderful tool, but it makes me so sad when people with big e-pens start boasting or kick players from parties for not having so~so dps.
    I'm not going to spark a debate here, but you can't kick someone from a public MPA unless you have a private MPA (with password on designated block) anyway. If you use the tool to kick someone from a private MPA because they are lacking in damage, you need to remember that it's PRIVATE MPA.

And even if you use the tool to kick someone from the party, you don't owe them an explanation because it's YOUR party and you can kick someone out of your own party WITHOUT any reason at all in the first place!

Regarding boasting, I find boasting to be positive instead of negative because MMORPG is always about boasting anyway. You boast about how you get a full Austere set to your friends or a godly affixed equipments or boast about achievements in general. It's a good thing.

Of course it's NOT tolerable to point randoms out in public about their lacking DPS. It's just rude and simply asking for a ban hammer!

It is however very encouraged to point out lack of DPS to your friends. You want your friend to succeed, not fail in the game! Offer build advice, combo advice or anything to make them improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    a parser in an action game sounds kinda dumb to me
    You're not forced to use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.

The way I see it... you use the damage calculator (http://4rt.info/psod/) to figure out theoretical DPS, then you use the parser to see if you can actually pull it off and find out where you're lacking (AKA getting good). You could use this tactic for other people too. Seeing who is and who isn't pulling their weight is just one of the points you can derive from that.

It's up to the user to find out what data they want. Not liking the idea for whatever reason is fine, but I'd have disagree if you say it doesn't have a use because it's an action game; unless you think that the data is totally worthless... or that you can play the game and get all the numbers for the entire group yourself, in which case damn, you've got me there!

DPS checkers have always been a terribly unreliable way to check if people are "pulling their weight" or not. That guy whose DPS is plummeting in TD? Might be taking care of pods, towers, bombs, pulling aggro off towers or even crystal collecting. In other games, there are a lot of reasons your DPS could drop down due to boss mechanics, or simply things happening which prevent you from using your optimal DPS rotation which can be purely bad luck. Did someone just zondeel mobs or a miniboss away from you? Rip DPS! Get out ya leech!

It IS useful for finding out if your optimal DPS combo actually IS optimal in ideal situations of course and it actually does reveal slackers in areas where raw DPS is what counts (which in this game is pretty much Magatsu and er.. Profound Darkness I guess? Not really a lot of DPS races in this game).

Basically should probably only use it to judge MPA performance on the actual DPS races, though especially low numbers even in the more chaotic Tower Defense pugs might still be worrisome. Basically I'm backing up that yeah DPS checkers have a use, but just be smart when interpreting the numbers.
    Last edited by Raujinn; Feb 15, 2016 at 02:14 PM.

I know. Like I said before, they just need to come up with a way to give people an idea of how effective they are without giving assholes an opportunity to rub their epeener everywhere.
    It doesn't need to be specific. They already have that stupid ass ranking system in TD that is far worse than a DPS meter.
    I wrote some ideas in an old post somewhere, but we all know it'd never happen.

And it's not dumb to let players know whether they are playing effectively or not.
    I'm sure most people have no idea that they are only contributing less than 5%.
    If you give them an idea of where they are lacking, they will probably play the game more, too.

I said previously, pretty much every multi seems to look like this:
    Top 3-4 contribute 15-17%, maybe about 4-5 people contributing 6-10% and then the rest are less than 5%, usually about 3 people with less than 3%.
    That's kind of messed up.

I'm smart enough to not judge people on maps where they are probably picking up crystals.
    Last edited by TaigaUC; Feb 15, 2016 at 03:25 PM.

Okay. I think this one is a release I can be proud of. Be sure to read the changelog, there's some neat stuff in there! Non-Tweaker users should be especially sure to grab this, as it includes the new Damage Dump plugin (courtesy of Variant) that correctly tracks Summoner damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Raujinn View Post
    Basically should probably only use it to judge MPA performance on the actual DPS races, though especially low numbers even in the more chaotic Tower Defense pugs might still be worrisome. Basically I'm backing up that yeah DPS checkers have a use, but just be smart when interpreting the numbers.
    Agreed. With that said, the majority of content in this game is a damage race with very few group-oriented mechanics: it's a grind game where clear speed is paramount to efficiency. So if you're consistently parsing high or low, there's probably a reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by elryan View Post
    It is however very encouraged to point out lack of DPS to your friends. You want your friend to succeed, not fail in the game! Offer build advice, combo advice or anything to make them improve.
    I originally made OverParse because I really, really like competing, and playing PSO2 got more fun when I could measure myself against other players in my group, but this is also really important.

WaifuDfnseForce (the team I founded) attracts a lot of new blood because of our open admissions, and parsing is a really important way of catching performance problems before they make it into XH and start ruining peoples' days. For instance, we never would have figured out that one of our casters was using a messed-up Burn Boost tree unless the parser had revealed her Tech Bullets doing more damage than her Rafoies.

Information is good. People sometimes use it as an excuse to be shitty, but that doesn't change the inherent value of the knowledge.
    Last edited by TyroneSama; Feb 15, 2016 at 06:05 PM.
    Apple (Ship02) - HuFi Sword - "take damage for better uptime"
    WaifuDfnseForce Founder | OverParse developer | maker of stuff

Thank you for the coding that sexy overlay Tyrone, you did a really great job.

And Variant, CK, Alam and all the guys who worked on the dll of course ( ・ω・)b

Edit:

Options I'd like to see in feature releases:

- Option to set the window opacity level.
    - Option to clear the window.
    Last edited by Ordy; Feb 15, 2016 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordy View Post
    - Option to clear the window.
    You can clear the window by clicking End Encounter in the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.