Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Default This is what I see when I hear SJW and Feminist used as honest insults

New Star Wars has a female lead. Listed are some responses to this news.

http://mic.com/articles/140160/rogue...nes#.TjiBGOEoL

I can understand some people being disinterested in a lead they can't relate to. I can't empathize, because I think I'm boring as hell and want to see a story told from a different viewpoint, but I can theoretically understand being disinterested. But I'm honestly surprised that people are angry because of the lead choice.

People are angry at any leads that aren't the light-skinned male demographic. Just let them simmer as anything viewed as a step towards equality (even while still grossly imbalanced) seems like opression to them. As if in their twisted logic, going with the "status quo" has become a sign of artistic freedom. What kind of backwards circle logic got them to think that.

Think about it. Now when someone goes a little against the grain from a limitation that nearly every movie is doing, it is an offense against art? Seriously? Are they hearing themselves ?

Now of course we have a different real perspective. We are here, celebrating a series of games for which they are completely predicated upon a female lead character, which in some form, had a certain level of influence for all events and games that come after.

I and, many others, for decades, have been writing good action stories with female leads. The only difference? Hollywood would likely not fund them as a movie. They'd rather have me change the lead to the conformity, and that's the REAL denial of artistic expression. There was no such SJW definition, or some angry masses on some two sides war, just artists getting shackled. Now if this a sign of a new freedom and viability that we can get movie deals without us having to change something, sign me up.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Apr 8, 2016 at 12:53 PM.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

These are the kind of people that those in favor of radical enforcement of diversity have created. Do not complain that such comments exist, complain about the current trends and overly sensitive PC culture, because these things only divide the masses in the name of social justice.

People who dismiss the movie because of the female lead and rant about SJW nonsense are just another product of the current situation.
    PLACEHOLDER SIGNATURE - music included ♪

Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.

Actually, it seems like the overly sensitive Anti-PC culture. They've become as bad as the vocal minority PC Culture which wants some kind of enforcement vs. ones that just simply want to be able to have diversity, and not have it denied. There's a difference, and today's culture (in lots of things) is either not seeing the difference, or throwing interference to remove that difference from people's minds. There's a new weapon used to shut down any kind of good progression (that is a long time coming), by moving it to an extremist shouting fest. This is a manipulation plan to attempt to reverse any kind of progress, regardless of how good it is.

So you have an Anti-PC culture who often takes those who just want to see diversity allowed (where it wasn't allowed before), as people who want to make a law or something to enforce it. It's turned into a counter-demand, just as bad as the demand "they believe they are facing" as it eliminates reasonable moderates from the equation. This, even though we're barely breaking away from the situation that supports only the Anti-PC extremists that every movie should remain the old status quo. You're either 100 percent law one way, or 100 percent law another way. Two wrongs don't make a right, so I don't give any excuse for those who decided to *join in* and become extremists themselves. The "They did it first" mentality doesn't fly with me. Much of the angry mob doesn't even realize they are being manipulated to passionate only black or white mentalities and/or bandwagon tactics.

So what are we left with? No compromise. No leniency at all. The moment someone *different* shows up. They raise the warning that the world is coming to an end.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Apr 8, 2016 at 02:24 PM.
    PSO2 Character information:

Eric Windhaven (Fomar) Ship 02.

The reality is the is the vocal minority that is always the problem. And for both sides. They can't be bargained with and somehow they apparently speak for everyone and somehow represent everyone. You have people like Anita who presses a lot of poorly researched attacks on games like Witcher 3 (that luckily no one really bought) and people like AlphaOmegaSin who just looks to jump on anything that he views as SJW interference (like that DOAX3 incident, which the reason given was a cop out answer to them never having plans to release it here at all).

The trends are not ultimately the problem. Society will always move forward and learn from mistakes of the past to make things better. The overreactions and "us vs them" mentality are. Not to mention the anonymity of the internet only makes it worse.

This is coming from a guy who was called for considering himself a sex positive feminist that supports trans rights who was also called out for liking Bayonetta and not having a problem with the fan service of Senran Kagura.
    Last edited by RuneLateralus; Apr 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM.

Disney is about making Female Characters as much as possible be leads. Anything they touch ends up becoming a Mary Sue/Princess character which is why so many girls love and hate the disney princesses at the same time.

Rey is a Mary Sue character who by the end of "The Force Awakens" she has stronger skills than Luke in the force and using a lightsaber than his power at the end of Empire Strikes Back. She also has as much ship knowledge and flying skills by the end of the movie as Han Solo. She pretty much does the "tough girl" attitude even while she has her fears.

People are simply afraid that Disney will be biased up and just run Female Lead Characters until they can cash in the one that favors them the most. In fact, people are more afraid that this character will become another Mary Sue. Disney is also full of Gary Stus (Male version of Mary Sues)

Mary Sues are young characters who save the day with the most unrealistic of abilities and unrealistic form of development. Usually perceived as a character that is the Author's personal injection of themselves or ideology into a story.

Star Wars has extremely few female characters outside of the Extended Universe (Leia and Mothma), so of course Disney will inject more female characters into Star Wars to even it out.

I still want to see Mara Jade just appear and tear up everything.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Quote Originally Posted by SilkaN View Post
    These are the kind of people that those in favor of radical enforcement of diversity have created. Do not complain that such comments exist, complain about the current trends and overly sensitive PC culture, because these things only divide the masses in the name of social justice.

People who dismiss the movie because of the female lead and rant about SJW nonsense are just another product of the current situation.
    Silkan pretty much summed it up the best. Even disney has admitted to doing it and I saw a link while on twitter. Listen I don't mind trying new things-but I hate it when they have to shoehorn something in because of complaints over non-existant issues in movies/gaming. Zorafim lemme ask you something. Do you know about the Baldur gate contraversey. One of the writers admitted she was a SJW and try to enforce something because it was her ideology. So, my point is this is the problem and why I hate modern day tv/gaming/movies.

TL;Dr

Zorafim is triggered again lol
    Last edited by Noblewine; Apr 9, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Planning to replay PSP2 and prove to myself that the chaining mechanic do not slow down the pace of the combat. =/
    Planning to replay PSU (ep1 and 2) for story and gameplay, PSZ and PSP2 offline mode Only Also I'm keeping my FC for psz up though the Network Mode is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    I still want to see Mara Jade just appear and tear up everything.
    Does this include a trilogy starring their child? Assuming it ends nearly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noblewine View Post
    Silkan pretty much summed it up the best. Even disney has admitted to doing it and I saw a link while on twitter. Listen I don't mind trying new things-but I hate it when they have to shoehorn something in because of complaints over non-existant issues in movies/gaming. Zorafim lemme ask you something. Do you know about the Baldur gate contraversey. One of the writers admitted she was a SJW and try to enforce something because it was her ideology. So, my point is this is the problem and why I hate modern day tv/gaming/movies.

TL;Dr

Zorafim is triggered again lol
    Oh look, one of prime examples I was talking about showed up.

I'm gonna ask a serious question:

Are "diversity issues" (or other related subjects) really an issue?

I ask this because until I came on the internet and started browsing forums and whatnot, I had literally no idea any of this was a problem. Naturally, I consume media, but I never felt like there were too many male leads or too few female leads. A character was a character regardless of these insignificant details and I never had people around me complaining that something had a female lead or a character wasn't white (or whatever).

I feel like we have people blowing things out of proportion far too much. I belong to LGBT as well and I didn't even realise there were still HUGE, LETHAL ISSUES regarding that until the vocal minority raised their voices about things I probably wouldn't even call issues. I'm well aware of struggles faced in the past, but do these supposedly invisible barriers still exist?

There might be issues but I can't help but feel like both sides are being stupid about it.