Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PSO2 vs PSO

Default PSO2 vs PSO

What got me addicted to PSO was a combination of the difficulty, gameplay, and the equipment and how everything you acquired was useful, you had to think long and hard about changing equipment because even if you had a big stat boost in one area you normally lost something in return.

So far PSO2 feels like it progresses really fast, my character went straight from 1 star equipment to 4 star, and then straight to 7 from there. I always have equipment before I can use it and "rare" items don't seem rare at all, it just means high level.

In PSO items that were considered rare were actually rare and very few people had them. When you first got to go up a difficulty it was harder with the best available equipment than it was when you originally played through as a level 1 with basic equipment.

This isn't really a rant, just an observation of how it seems to compare in my opinion.
    Does it feel this way for everyone or is it just me?

The MMO audience from back then has vastly changed since now. If you are looking for an old school MMO experience you aint going to find it in anything outside the "hardcore sandbox" style MMO which always keeps to a niche audience cause despite what people say they want its not what they actually play.

Back in PSO days the MMO audience was fine grinding one spot for days on end to get 1 piece of equipment and a level or two but the majority of the audience doesn't have the time to invest that in just one game anyone since there are so many in the market. People have jobs, family, and other hobbies they need to invest their time into and thus you get this more modern casual experience which I feel was popularized by WoW.

The Emergency Quest system that PSO2 has is the epitome of the casual MMO experience. Be here at this time, spend a half an hour or an hour a day and progress rapidly in that time. Get to late levels to get to the equipment progression states. So, a person can hop on for a half an hour then leave to go do other things they need to. Pretty simple and effective for the modern MMO audience.

Of course, there are exceptions and of course people have individual tastes but when your aim is to have millions of players in your game then you have to be open for a greater audience approval, not the minority of people who are looking for the more dedicated old school style of play which while can be more rewarding isn't really worth much when it comes to a company trying to make money and promote a game.

I see, that makes sense.
    I would absolutely love the emergency quest system of it wasn't so easy.

Even games that have boasted about being super hard do their best to make it easy for everyone. There was a game I was excited about because it said it had permadeath. Turns out you can pay for your revival with your inventory and even if you do die and lose the character you don't lose your levels for what your new character can equip.

PSO1 worked very hard for all 'rare' weapons to feel unique - or at least like, not trashy and thrown together - whereas PSO2 plays more along the lines of PSU - several "rare" weapons are just upgrades to nonrare weapons. Like ALL rare weapons are just upgrades, but in PSU and PSO2 it is sometimes literally the same weapon with more sparkles or some shit.

However, to say that in PSO, rare meant rare and few people had them...that's just not true.

Certain very rare weapons might've been something "few people had" when you looked at the size of the playerbase - TJS comes to mind - but overall, that same size of playerbase led to plenty of people obtaining those. While it wasn't necessarily likely you'd party with one of them, it's not like you never saw them around.

In PSO2, we have the option of viewing the equipment of total strangers in the lob, which makes rare weapons seem...less rare. Because regardless of whether or not you party up with someone, you can check out their gear.

PSO1 vs PSO2 difficulty scaling is just a matter of different standards. In PSO1, it was designed so that it was a bad idea to solo because it would be very difficult to overcome the HP and attack stats of the monsters you'd face. Playing the game Forest-to-Falz style was something you did after grinding, and preferably with a party. Simply starting in Forest and expecting to even reach Caves on your first go from lv1 was difficult, simply due to Dragon's stats.

PSO2 doesn't have that. You're free to solo your way through all the Free Explore unlocks.

However, I defy you to find a way to make it so that every class we currently have had PSO1-style difficulty in advancing from Forest to Vol Caves to Desert and so on.

PSO1 had a bunch of classes that early on fell in to the same style of gameplay: Hit things with a Saber and shoot them with a Handgun. Hunters did this by default, and would equip a Sword asap; Rangers too, but with Rifles; and Forces who tried to rely on magic to kill swiftly found themselves running out of TP.

In PSO2, you regen PP just by waiting around, and you can do it faster by smacking something. The combat mechanics in play do not allow for PSO1-style difficulty advancement.

PSO2 is an overall easier game than PSO1, I think, but to paint that as purely a bad thing is to just flat ignore why it's easier, which are just the demands of the present day.

PSO2 in general shares a lot more with PSU than it does with PSO1. If you're wondering why X thing is the way it is, try looking at PSU first.
    We know how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.

I'm not meaning to state t as a purely negative thing, but as you said since psu it has been that way and I personally disliked that change. I'm saying that I alone didn't find it as fun, not that it's a worse game, since other people like it that way.

Psychotic Asian Goth Girl [Ayumi]'s Avatar

My reasoning in getting hooked to PSO was because it was my very 1st online game and the atmosphere was awesome.
    If it wasn't for that, it would've been a game that would've collected dust and never played and I would've just stick to the SA2 Trial game until SA2 came out.

For one thing, I can - and still - boot up my Dreamcast and play the same character I've had since the beginning of PSO. On the other hand, I feel like killing myself if I play this for more than an hour (if I can even add an hour to the over 1000 hours spent there). I mean, it's only 4 areas and offline and with no bots or partners and a bit dated and shitdroptables and primitive gameplay mechanics.

While I don't think PSO2 will be able to compare, longevity-wise, despite having more diversity (simply because I doubt I'll be able to play it for 15 years), I still think that no matter how long it lasts, it'll be a good experience, so in the end, I have a hard time saying which is better... oh though on paper, PSO is better because it DID get released and localized in several languages pretty fast, and officially, I am not ready yet to even play PSO2 as SEGA isn't technically giving it to anywhere outside Japan, so that means Existent vs Non-Existent... I think what wins is what IS.

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    The MMO audience from back then has vastly changed since now. If you are looking for an old school MMO experience you aint going to find it in anything outside the "hardcore sandbox" style MMO which always keeps to a niche audience cause despite what people say they want its not what they actually play.

Back in PSO days the MMO audience was fine grinding one spot for days on end to get 1 piece of equipment and a level or two but the majority of the audience doesn't have the time to invest that in just one game anyone since there are so many in the market. People have jobs, family, and other hobbies they need to invest their time into and thus you get this more modern casual experience which I feel was popularized by WoW.

The Emergency Quest system that PSO2 has is the epitome of the casual MMO experience. Be here at this time, spend a half an hour or an hour a day and progress rapidly in that time. Get to late levels to get to the equipment progression states. So, a person can hop on for a half an hour then leave to go do other things they need to. Pretty simple and effective for the modern MMO audience.

Of course, there are exceptions and of course people have individual tastes but when your aim is to have millions of players in your game then you have to be open for a greater audience approval, not the minority of people who are looking for the more dedicated old school style of play which while can be more rewarding isn't really worth much when it comes to a company trying to make money and promote a game.
    Great Argument,
    that is until you realize that SoJ has never advertised PSO or PSO-2 as an MMORPG, but as an Online RPG...because with Korea nearby...SEGA would not dare to incur the wrath of true MMORPG nuts by making such idiotic declarations.

So the question is...
    Why is it that PSO and PSO2 are not MMORPGs, but people think they are MMORPGs? An example comes from this site:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...-Online-2.html

Where MMORPG.COM declares PSO-2 to be an MMORPG, even though SEGA does not say MMORPG in their advertisements. In short, laziness of people to not have to read, do research, or learn the way things work.

Now with that out of the way...
    What is true hardcore MMORPG fan like?

Well for starters, you forgot to mention that the more things change, the more they stay the same...

True Hardcore players were PvP-Oriented Players, which is why the heavy PvP Oriented MMORPGs and their playerbases are the ones that truly survived. Only people who are clueless about MMORPGs dare to mention anything Hardcore without speaking about PvP.

Its true that not everyone plays PvP in games, and I also respect when Carebears talk about their issues as well....but at the very end of the day a lot of the grinders out there in MMOs do it because they want to have their killer gear in order to do as best as possible in their guilds in PvP or in the one meaningful thing to PvE... Guild Based Raid Content!!!

Which brings us to the EQs...
    Really? Like.... Really Really Really!?

EQs are Scheduled Events, NOTHING MORE....
    Guild Wars 2 and many Modern Day MMORPGs handle Events a lot better than PSO-2.

In old MMORPGs, we would spend hours waiting for getting a good 20 - 30 man Raid Group together to traverse a PvP Zone and be able to still stand and fight the RAID while also destroying enemy players. Those days were Glorious and Priceless. In PSO-2s So-called EVENT SYSTEM....

People wait for HOURS to get the Event that they WANT so they can run it for 30 minutes on Luck of the DRAW (if they pug) to be able to actually run and get something out of it, and then deal with RNG giving the player nothing. Half of the frustration of this game is that in order for the player to TRULY SUCCEED in PSO2, he or she has to REVOLVE HIS LIFE around the EQ schedules of the game...

Sorry, but that is FAR MORE INTRUSIVE than any REAL MMORPG out there...which I might add to make more CASUAL usually SPLIT PvE and PvP into their own servers and zones...

Finally,
    What do MMORPG fans truly despise?

They hate it when Carebears try to define Hardcore like some crazy PvE experience in a non-MMORPG populated by Carebears who fail at Carebearing, which more than half the posts in PSO-W revolve around carebears failing to carebear.

A Definite Hatred would be Carebears attempting to prove that puny instanced 12-man boss fights are more thrilling than open-world 50 - 100 man World Boss Fights. ^_^
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

I would define PSO as an MMO if MMO stands for "Micro Multiplayer Online".

lol "micro"
    With a max party of 4 there was no way for it to be an mmo.