Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Article: Xbox 360 Demo Servers to Shutdown on March 7th

Edward, a Sega GM, posted a notice on the Sega forums announcing that the Phantasy Star Universe Xbox 360 Demo servers will be shutdown permanently on March 7th. The reasons cited for shutting down the demo servers include the feasibility of maintaining the servers and the staff's desire to focus on the full version of the game. Demo players are encouraged to purchase the full version of the game from Microsoft Games on Demand and take advantage of the free Ambition of the Illuminus upgrade. At the moment, no official events have been planned in anticipation of the shutdown.

Having been online for 1,606 days (4 years, 4 months, and 22 days), the sudden shutdown of the demo servers does come as a surprise. Still, the demo version are hardly representative of the current state of the full game. Having never been updated, the demo version represents the highly restricted, unpolished launch version of Phantasy Star Universe from 2006. Even though occasional events were held on the demo servers during the first year, it has received little formal attention since then.

Credit goes to Amaury for bringing us this news. You can discuss this story in this on-going forum thread.

Default Yea it was out of date

funny thing was I was just telling a friend a few days ago that we could go to the demo servers to see what he thought before paying a monthly fee.
    aw well I can reclaim the space the demo has taken even I had the full game since launch.

Default And don't let the door hit

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Default It took longer then i

It took longer then i thought really.
    i'm curious as to what will happen next, i mean they haven't updated it so that means they have just let it run pretty much. i don't see how them taking it down will let them focus solely on the full version when they didn't do anything to the demo as it is. an omen of sega getting ready to close the plug? or maybe they are simply killing it to save a few bucks on the power bill?
    PSU characters:
    Goldbrease human lv:150 HU:10 RA:5 FF:20 FI:20

Default Hahaha finally!! :P

Hahaha finally!! :P
    PSU JP: Mirai Ichi Lv 180 / PSU US/EU PC/PS2: Miray Lv 165

Default wow... that took long

wow... that took long enough. now all of the beginners will have to PAY in order to get on, at least this'll put an end to all of the "demo noobs".... maybiblic... xP
    You're only as good as your ID#
    "You can't spell 'FTW' without 'FT'

Default XD Indeed man about time too

XD Indeed man about time too XD

Default maybe that can be the case.

maybe that can be the case. but look at the positive of what Sega might gonna do.
    1.More update for the full version
    2.Lag switch problem can be fixed
    3.maybe see more of the gm doing there jobs XD

Default If anyone really thinks

If anyone really thinks we'll see improvements in the full game due to shutting down the demo (thank God for that, tho) I have a People's Republic of China I can sell you.

Default for 1. well.... how will

for
    1. well.... how will this allow them to focus on updates more when they did nothing to the beta in the first place? it sat there with no one tending to it.
    2. lag switch problem? only way to stop lag switchers is to ban them. also they don't do special patches for the us version, they directly bring over the jp patches in the exact order they were released in jp. so if jp had a fix you will have to wait for every update that occurred before it to be implemented before its released.
    3. again the gms had nothing to do with the demo, if the gms were not doing anything before they wont be doing anything now.
    PSU characters:
    Goldbrease human lv:150 HU:10 RA:5 FF:20 FI:20