Default Evasion vs Defense

I want to make sure I correctly define each before I proceed with my argument. Evasion blocks an attack correct? Defense makes an attack take less damage correct?

If the above is correct, would not evasion be more important? I'd rather block an attack than take damage. Also, I'd rather fall down after a critical blow and get my few seconds of invincibility, than to stand up and continue getting punished. Also if you have a regeneration gear, it can turn those blocks into hp/tp.

Is my logic sound or am I way off?

It's kind of a tricky thing, actually. Having too much EVP can become a problem if you get mobbed. For example, if you're maxed out on EVP and go do Fake in Yellow on Normal, then you may find yourself in the middle of a crowd of Rappies that can't land a hit on you, but can cause you to block perpetually, not allowing you to take any action that isn't blocking. In that kind of scenario, it's better to take some damage and be able to continue operating, than it is to block. Ultimately, it's kind of a "First World Problem", but it's definitely a mechanic to be aware of. At the same time, having DFP too high can be a problem with Recons, as their saw blade will shred you, if it doesn't do enough damage per hit to knock you down. Effectively, there are drawbacks to having either stat very high. These are both fringe cases, of course.

The real trouble is that you can't possibly have your EVP high enough to block every attack, every time. You're going to get hit, and it'll be fairly often, whatever you do; so you're still going to want to have some DFP to back you up.

Ultimately though, if you need to focus on one or the other, I think has more to do with your play style, than the inherent strengths and weaknesses of the stats. I think I'd give more priority to DFP, myself, but a high EVP may benefit your behavior more, and I may be completely wrong in my choices.

For what it's worth, it's usually possible to cap out all of your stats, if you plan things out ahead of time. It's easier with Humans and harder with Newmans, but even a HUnewearl can be maxed out easily enough, if you've got access to equipment from Episode IV.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016