Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Idea: 3 "deaths" and fail free field?

Before jumping to any responses...hear me out.

There's some issues with the game's difficulty. Personally, I don't think the game needs to necessarily PLAY harder with bosses that are harder to dodge (though really need bosses that are harder to keep attacking, if I may be honest...).

One of these issues is we can usually just keep jumping back to campship over and over and over if we die. Yeah, we lose a rank, big whoop. But there's also that giant leap of difficulty where, excluding Kuron and Subdue Train, if you die to a boss, that's it. It's a huge huge whiplash. This is really for solo but, still.

My idea, put simply: Make it so, during the whole quest run of a free field and similar quests, you can only campship three times, no matter the area. Hell, maybe even give just some autorevive at this point(that just restarts you at the boss portal in case of the boss), or an option to revive in a party. I do believe this needs to come alongside a reduction of moons to 2 or 3, but generally speaking, it would at least, without making the game too difficult, give some sense of difficulty. It would also reduce the sudden shift that comes from fighting a boss solo.

Along side that, no campship returns during EQs. We have 12x5 moons right now, there's no reason that should of ever been an option. Moments like clone in PD and the swords in Loser are wasted by this option even existing.

And please, no one word replies of "No." k thx. At least show you gave it some thought before disagreeing.

And yes, this came from thinking about how Monster Hunter handles failing a quest in a group.
    PSO2 characters:
    Spoiler!

Co-leader of LunarBreak on PSO2 Ship2. PM if you wanna team/party up for EQs and UQs!

Quote Originally Posted by Starryeyedbunny View Post
    And yes, this came from thinking about how Monster Hunter handles failing a quest in a group.
    Is there an item that gives us one extra cart revive? Shameless MHX reference
    ID: MPBLPure (Ship 2er)
    Akane Tekuro -- Proud Boots main; above average main character. Exploring Omega. Lead Chip: Matoi [S Halloween]
    Rei Sawatori - Hero. Taking a breather. Lead Chip: Darker Busters [Anniversary]
    クロナアルティア (Altiea) -- A Fighter jaded by trauma. Hanging out with the Darker Busters. Lead Chip: Celebrate Heroines [Anniversary]

prob is fields are too easy, most eqs outside stuff like PD are too easy. reducing moons doesnt really do much let alone not returning to camp (which if your doing that instead of letting aomeone revive you then idk)

i dont really know how to respond to this, its something that will never happen, +1

Like Kril said, most of the game is too easy for this to make much of a difference either. That said I'd rather they make ranking matter for more quests (And maybe make the ranking penalty from deaths a bit harsher). It's too much of a non-mechanic for 90% of the game.

maybe 5 deaths, since we have 5 moon atomizers. but the today's stream is: dont punish players too much for their fails, since its a punishment on its own terms. There is no need to discourage player and make him want to ragequit.

Quote Originally Posted by Starryeyedbunny View Post
    Before jumping to any responses...hear me out.

There's some issues with the game's difficulty. Personally, I don't think the game needs to necessarily PLAY harder with bosses that are harder to dodge (though really need bosses that are harder to keep attacking, if I may be honest...).

One of these issues is we can usually just keep jumping back to campship over and over and over if we die. Yeah, we lose a rank, big whoop. But there's also that giant leap of difficulty where, excluding Kuron and Subdue Train, if you die to a boss, that's it. It's a huge huge whiplash. This is really for solo but, still.

My idea, put simply: Make it so, during the whole quest run of a free field and similar quests, you can only campship three times, no matter the area. Hell, maybe even give just some autorevive at this point(that just restarts you at the boss portal in case of the boss), or an option to revive in a party. I do believe this needs to come alongside a reduction of moons to 2 or 3, but generally speaking, it would at least, without making the game too difficult, give some sense of difficulty. It would also reduce the sudden shift that comes from fighting a boss solo.

Along side that, no campship returns during EQs. We have 12x5 moons right now, there's no reason that should of ever been an option. Moments like clone in PD and the swords in Loser are wasted by this option even existing.

And please, no one word replies of "No." k thx. At least show you gave it some thought before disagreeing.

Mr. rotten elitist pls go play Dark souls or something else, PSO2 is fine the way it is, im still using 10 stars items because i don't have time to hardcore play the game so not all free fields are easy to me, GTFO with your stupid idea.

As "brutally" easy as the game is, this is still RNG-based content without any kind of balance (what codes or enemies you get, how long the map is, what utility items drop in the field - the game doesn't make sure to keep these factors in line so different playthroughs of each quest were fair between each other). The procedural generation in this game is so bad, so really bad that you can never be sure you can succeed with your objectives (getting A/S-rank, finding certain enemies etc). There are plenty of games that rely on procedural generation, but many of them actually put some sort of restrictions onto it so it's varied but remains fair.

Death in regular quests, as rare for endgamers as it is, is still heavily affected by RNG. The game should have more preset single-party quests like Train Ghidoran Suppression which can have everything you need, while Free Fields would be multiparty farming areas. You shouldn't be able to return to Campship (neither by dying nor through Telepipe) during single-party quests like that if you want to actually clear them; then your rank should be based on time (different requirements for solo and party clears would be needed). As for free fields, they shouldn't rank you at all.

Yes great idea let's make a difficulty increase that targets the casual players that never wanted it while not affecting hardcore ones in any way. What's the next great idea? Increase gearing up difficulty and experience needed to level up to make this game more hardcore?

While the game should keep you from coming back to the campship in any serious EQ and limit the number of moons, there is not point in hitting inexperienced players with unnecessary penalties for dying. The whole thing with not wanting harder bosses sounds like a bad player wanting to make it harder on newbies for some reason. If Sega increases difficulty it should aim at the most experienced players or everyone equally, hopefully while also not penalizing weaker players too much in gear department since that would needlessly make the divide between playerbase greater. Solo XQ stages 6-10 is a pretty good example where you're not losing much even if you can't solo it.

I'd say before saying something like this, go make a new char (or play an alt) lv it up to lv 50/lv30 sub and walk through EVERY SH free field with a 7* +0 NT weapon with 25 wind element or less and 3 un-grinded and un-affixed sub units.

this gives you a peek at the life of a new player (altho for skilled players this wont matter much) new players have this game as hard as it is, a lot quit at SH because the game stops babying you at SH (and its also true that you can be carried thru SH but most ppl don't know anyone to help carry them thru SH)

that said, the difficulty of the basic parts of the game like free fields and arks quests are fine as is,(hell might be too hard if angel or something spawns when you don't want to deal with him or a infected rare boss spawns on field and keeps summoning mobs so much that you can hardly breathe, or running into super bal dominus at boss room that nukes you with infection blasts while he's lying on the deck, Or worse yet finding odin in a SH pworld solo...) howerver... I wouldn't mind some extra penalty for returning to campship after deaths only, as in full healing the boss that's in the boss room and applying/adding power to an infection core on it for free fields, for EQs tho id only make the change that ALL eqs (some don't have this these days) have an automatic rank drop on returning to campship after deaths mid run. but in exchange for these, auto quest fail upon death in last area on free fields would be removed and being dead but on field upon boss death will not lower rank in EQs.

Last time I died more than once in a Free Field was probably sometime during Episodes 1 or 2. I'm well geared enough now that dying in a Free Field is like winning the lottery. All this does is hurt newer players. Sure, the game is easy now, but if you're a new player with no experience in the game, or hell, the series at all, it's just fine.

I mean a new player playing a Melee class won't have to chase after Vol Dragon's tail crystal just to stun it for a brief moment to get more damage in (ah the memories), but it's still not a cake walk. In january, two friends of mine started playing the game, and I realized what a difference it made being a fresh player and having played since launch. One friend got to 75/75, but they still died fairly often in SH mode, because they still had to affix their units and weapons, and fully grind them. They weren't completely ready yet.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine