Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Color Tone Curve?

I notice this seemingly makes the image more clear, but it kinda reminds me of SweetFX where the color accuracy suffers a bit. Are the colors less accurate with this setting on?

Isn't color accuracy a hardware thing? If the colors being displayed by your monitor are the colors being sent by your computer then yes it's color accurate. All the setting does is increase the contrast and saturation as far as I know.

Yep, it's far from accurate.

Imagine having 256 spaces (colors per channel), but you wish to spread its contents further from each other (contrast, in a nutshell). You'll end up with colors sharing the same space, and with gaps where colors were supposed to exist.

Also, if you had 9 as red value and 10 as blue, and decide to add 10% to each, you'll end up with 9 and 11 respectively shown. Why? Because there isn't enough precision in a byte to store that 0.9 value. And why not round it up? Because by default, the value is "floored" (aka, cut off the excess). Now, do that step 9 times more times (when there's a lot of post-processing). 9:11 -> 9:12 -> 9:13 -> ... -> 9:20. Suddenly, your color ratio is way off.

Sure, these examples are exaggerated, but it's to demonstrate some of the issues with post-processing. Most of the time, you won't even notice, and most games nowadays have other ways to work around it, such as having a more "color-detailed" image than the one displayed. That said, this is PSO2.

And on a side note, it also applies some specific area color filters. For example, IIRC, it's a purple-ish filter for Franca's cafe, blue-ish for Tokyo area, brown-ish in Desert areas, etc. Also changes with weather and other stuff.
    Last edited by Shoterxx; Dec 20, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
    Do you have ANY bug in PSO2? Are you creating yet another thread about how you can't take screenshots, your game crashes, or textures are missing AGAIN? Do you NOT search the forum before asking? Then the L.A.W. FIX is for YOU!

It's EASY! Just go: Tweaker -> [!] button -> Other tasks -> Enable Large Address Aware, and you're DONE! Just remember to do it EVERY UPDATE!

I noticed it also tends to make dark skinned characters even more dark when there's no light source reflecting on them...

Color Tone Curve off
    Spoiler!

Color Tone Curve on
    Spoiler!

Ultimately I leave it on since that's what I assume the majority have it on, especially PS4 players, so what they see is a bit consistent with what I see. And areas where there is plenty of light, I kind of do like the setting. But accurate it is not.
    PSO2 characters
    Ship 2: Rabbie, Ramune, Princess Sara. Ship 10's Elu and Noriko are here as well (for an undetermined amount of time...)

well speaking of color tone forest does look weird with it on

without tone

Spoiler!

with tone

Spoiler!

and a bonus: no tone with sweetfx and reshades ambient lighting active

Spoiler!

so yea why is dirt green with tone on? also tundra snow turns blue with tone on (yeeaaaaaa......)

Honestly, since you can't adjust any of the settings, I'm not sure what knowing would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara-hime View Post
    I noticed it also tends to make dark skinned characters even more dark when there's no light source reflecting on them...
    That's because of the increased contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Falco View Post
    so yea why is dirt green with tone on? also tundra snow turns blue with tone on (yeeaaaaaa......)
    Shoterxx explained why already.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoterxx View Post
    And on a side note, it also applies some specific area color filters. For example, IIRC, it's a purple-ish filter for Franca's cafe, blue-ish for Tokyo area, brown-ish in Desert areas, etc. Also changes with weather and other stuff.

It's too dark in places and too bright in other places. Gix weapons/Ranma burn my eyes out and my head/eyes hurt after 30min. Adjusting monitor settings doesn't help, dunno why people like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxDMC View Post
    "Expert" players have no lives in plain English because being good at a game is much more important then family and friends lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf542 View Post
    Gix weapons/Ranma burn my eyes out and my head/eyes hurt after 30min.
    This might actually be your monitor brightness and color temperature. I used to have the same issues until I made the monitor color temperature a bit warmer, and lowered the brightness.

arks mod tool lets you fiddle around with the color tune curve
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Falco View Post
    well speaking of color tone forest does look weird with it on

without tone

Spoiler!

with tone

Spoiler!

and a bonus: no tone with sweetfx and reshades ambient lighting active

Spoiler!

really wish you would share your settings
    栄美
    ID: joshirosama