Default Another Forgotten Email...

Yes, I forgot my email address that I used to register my Sega ID. I've read dozens of threads and know I am not alone. For those of you that can't understand how I forgot an email address here is a little backstory that should shed some light on the circumstance and I'm hoping can lead to a solution.

About 15 years ago I first played PSO on the Dreamcast. 10 years after that we were still just "months" away from an exciting announcement about the Western Release of PSO2. I was tired of waiting and decided to try playing on the Japanese servers.

There were several guides written at the time that advised to "create a one-time use Japanese email address". At the time, it wasn't possible to register a Sega ID with anything outside of a Japanese handle. I'm pretty sure AIDA recommended it along with the KOTAKU article that so many of us used. This email address was literally used once, five years ago, as part of registering the Sega ID and never used again.

The temporary email address block that Sega was using to exclude Western players appears to have been lifted sometime in the past 5 years but they added a layer of security that requires us to access that old email address.

I'm not sure when I took a break from the game but I remember it had to do with not being able to login after Sega intentionally blocked Tweaker players.

It's been awhile and I'd love to get back into the game. Here is what I know:

- Account Name
    - Account Password
    - Date of Birth

I don't know:

- Email Address (created under the advice of AIDA and KOTAKU to get around an email block for registering the Sega ID.)

With this information I can login to the game up to the point where it asks for a confirmation number.

With this information I can login to the Sega ID site and have full access.

When I try updating the address on the Sega ID site it requires the old Email Address.

I think the easiest solution here is if someone can simply remember which email site was recommended for us to setup back in '12 to register our Sega ID's. Does anyone remember what it was? I'll need to know if it's hotmail.co.jp or whatever. I think I can figure out the username and password once i know which site we were all directed to. The second option is probably customer service but I'm going to hold off on that for as long as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Did you change the computer/network hardware you used to play the game (the verification code is triggered only by a change in the MAC address that is used to access the game)? If not, it may just be a glitch that you might be able to get around just by power cycling your modem and router and flushing your DNS.

If you did change PCs or started using a new network card (like going from a LAN connection to a Wi-Fi one), and have access to the old one, you can actually change the MAC address on the new one to the old one and it won't ask for the verification code.

As for the e-mail address, I've been playing since October of 2012 and used a GMail account with no issues, and so far no luck finding anything about having to use a Japanese e-mail either on Kotaku or elsewhere, but I'll give it another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Did you change the computer/network hardware you used to play the game (the verification code is triggered only by a change in the MAC address that is used to access the game)? If not, it may just be a glitch that you might be able to get around just by power cycling your modem and router and flushing your DNS.

If you did change PCs or started using a new network card (like going from a LAN connection to a Wi-Fi one), and have access to the old one, you can actually change the MAC address on the new one to the old one and it won't ask for the verification code.

As for the e-mail address, I've been playing since October of 2012 and used a GMail account with no issues, and so far no luck finding anything about having to use a Japanese e-mail either on Kotaku or elsewhere, but I'll give it another look.
    I purchased a new home 2 years ago and switched from Comcast to Verizon as well as going from a hardwired to a wireless network card. Not surprised that I got a prompt.

I also tried digging up old articles and can't figure out where I got the advice to create a japanese email address to get around the Sega ID block. And believe me, I'm not saavy enough to come up with this idea on my own or come up with a logical explanation as to why we had to do it.

Since I do know the username and password I was able to login to the Sega ID site. I found a FAQ that was called "【SEGA ID】 Email address registered in SEGA ID is unknown or I want to change my email address because I can not use it right now".

I copied it it Japanese and put my info in English. Hopefully I get a rep who doesn't mind copy and pasting.

I heard back from a rep. They wanted me to sign up for ARKS cash which would force me to provide a false Japanese name, false zip code, false address, and false phone number. So after providing all the requested security information and confirming my identity, there is still an active push to remove Western players from their servers.