Page 67 of 122 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor Weapon View Post
    I guess that's one thing to realize about. I thought premium subs other than relying on their AC scratches was enough for PSO2 to maintain a good content, but i guess not.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is also an 'entry fee' that Square Enix charges for initial purchases of XIV: which is basically the cost of a full triple A game if you want the Complete version, or very close to it. PSO2 has no entry fee, and makes profit solely from scratches, Premium Set, and merchandise sales - how much money that stuff makes depends on the mood and taste of the players at the time.

My own situation with the 'grass' is kind of the opposite - I played two other games that made PSO2 look damn good in comparison, both in terms of gameplay and story. So whatever SEGA throws out can't be as bad as having to deal with those two games and their devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor Weapon View Post
    I dont know why but, if i were to compare the upcoming EQ regarding a dragon, FFXIV did it better and i dont even know the story behind it, I can feel the soul behind it. The red dragon in pso2 on the other hand, despite a callback of the old game feels....lacking? Oh well, just gotta wait and see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnOKdmAcSP0
    I think the music direction is the biggest reason for this. FFXIV's music direction is more epic with a little bit of nuance to it while PSO2's music direction, while far from bad, is rather "childish". It helps that Square is willing to update its classic monsters with a more modern look in every new entry to appeal to their fans. Can you imagine Final Fantasy games where monsters like Bahamut never receive a major redesign in later games? Meanwhile, PSO2's red dragon looks completely generic on the justification that its a callback to the originals.

Speaking of FFXIV's Nidhogg boss battle, PSO2's PD battle is rather similar to it now that I think about it. You fight a monster set out to destroy life itself with the intent of saving the monster's host, push it to the point where its mortal host is drawn out for battle, and then the monster comes back for the final phase ready to be finished off.

Quote Originally Posted by loafhero View Post
    Can you imagine Final Fantasy games where monsters like Bahamut never receive a major redesign in later games?
    You say that, but a lot of FFXIV's references to iconic creatures are based off their first or most famous design almost directly. It's just that Amano's designs had a lot more going on, so they look more interesting in a time when you can actually portray them properly.

For people that never played the original Phantasy Star games, the red dragon is way too generic. It makes flying Yamato shooting lasers look original.

They could have at least gave it Cuent style armor. If someone saw the designs of the Dragonkin first, and then saw this giant lizard, it's really underwhelming.

Since it is the first raid boss, there's likely a revamped version at the end of episode 5. Hopefully an alternate design version in a rematch EQ, if there even is one.

Quote Originally Posted by blkbox11 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, there is also an 'entry fee' that Square Enix charges for initial purchases of XIV: which is basically the cost of a full triple A game if you want the Complete version, or very close to it.
    It does cost $40 just to get into the game initially with that $40 you get 30 days free until you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ratatosk View Post
    It does cost $40 just to get into the game initially with that $40 you get 30 days free until you have to pay.
    Thanks. I remembered something like that, but not the exact cost.

What about expansions? Do you have to pay for those separately from the subscriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by blkbox11 View Post
    Thanks. I remembered something like that, but not the exact cost.

What about expansions? Do you have to pay for those separately from the subscriptions?
    Not who you were quoting but yes, though usually only the Collector's Edition is full price from what I've experienced.

Don't really remember how much I paid to pre-order the Stormblood digital CE, though the physical CE was fucking outrageous (something like $200 because it came with a figma), digital was around $60 iirc, and gave no sub time from what I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaylar View Post
    Not who you were quoting but yes, though usually only the Collector's Edition is full price from what I've experienced.

Don't really remember how much I paid to pre-order the Stormblood digital CE, though the physical CE was fucking outrageous (something like $200 because it came with a figma), digital was around $60 iirc, and gave no sub time from what I remember.
    Kinda shows the difference in profits between these two games just from the sub model and being charged for expansions, and that's not counting the difference in the size of the playerbases. FFXIV probably has at least 3 times the number of active players that PSO2 has at any given time.

For a game where there are no subscription fees and charges for expansions, I guess PSO2 isn't all that bad.

PSO2 is friendly to those who take breaks from the game. One can rearm sufficiently in a short time and be decent. FF XIV is far more traditional and that is what drew me to the game. Though both games share a similar expectation to their endgames as far as classes are concerned. Both games are casual friendly, and thus I will claim that the best MMO I played out of Japan was FF XI.
    PSO-2 Info: Ship: 2; ID: セツナヤキ; MCN: ケイリン
    "If you want a bridge between past, present, and future, search for the void and awaken it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    PSO2 is friendly to those who take breaks from the game. One can rearm sufficiently in a short time and be decent. FF XIV is far more traditional and that is what drew me to the game. Though both games share a similar expectation to their endgames as far as classes are concerned. Both games are casual friendly, and thus I will claim that the best MMO I played out of Japan was FF XI.
    Is it because XI isn't casual friendly?

I actually prefer the opposite myself; I'm not too big of a fan of MMOs where you need to put in a lot of work to catch up if you take breaks and require you to play constantly to not fall behind. It just seems too demanding given how much time I have in a day.
    ID: MPBLPure (Ship 2er)
    Akane Tekuro -- Proud Boots main; above average main character. Exploring Omega. Lead Chip: Matoi [S Halloween]
    Rei Sawatori - Hero. Taking a breather. Lead Chip: Darker Busters [Anniversary]
    クロナアルティア (Altiea) -- A Fighter jaded by trauma. Hanging out with the Darker Busters. Lead Chip: Celebrate Heroines [Anniversary]