Default Error 640, can't get around...

So I didn't play in a few years. Decided to give it another whirl. Downloaded the tweaker, had it install the game for me, played around with it a bit, set everything up (resolution, controls) as I wanted it...

Then I went on vacation for a week. In the meantime (23rd I think?) a new patch hit.

Somehow (I think) tweaker can't get that patch installed.

I started the game, and got an error 640. Okay, so I need to install the patch, I get that.
    Try to do it through tweaker a few times... error remains.
    Try it manually. Same error.
    Try the official launcher... still no luck.

... what other options do I have?

Also I'd like to note that when I start the tweaker normally, it always gives a "error starting PSO2, need elevation to fix" kind of error. And with elevation, I assume (?) it breaks the patch to at least get the exe running?

There is a slight chance that moving your PSO2 game installation to another location, then running a file check could fix the issue. So just cut and paste your entire PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder (say it's in C:\\Program Files (x86)\SEGA; cut and paste it to C:\\Games or something like that). There might be permission errors that are preventing the game from updating/running properly.
    Last edited by Anduril; Aug 26, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Filecheck in session.

Just to clarify... the tweaker SHOULD work fine without elevated privileges, right?

If the game is outside of Program Files or Downloads, then it should.

It's in neither of those folders.
    File check after moving install folder didn't help.

I copied the error message I get when trying to launch the game from the non-elevated Tweaker:

8/26/2017 7:22:05 PM: It seems there was an issue starting PSO2, attempting to autofix...
    8/26/2017 7:22:12 PM: Done!
    8/26/2017 7:22:12 PM: DEBUG - Starting PSO2 again.
    8/26/2017 7:22:13 PM: DEBUG - The requested operation requires elevation Stack Trace: at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess( ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    at PSO2TweakerVer2.frmMainv2.(Object , EventArgs )
    8/26/2017 7:22:13 PM: ERROR - - System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The requested operation requires elevation
    at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess( ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    at PSO2TweakerVer2.frmMainv2.(Object , EventArgs )

Edit: I just had an idea... it's possible that I had the tweaker in elevated mode when I first installed the game, and that it put some file in the user/admin folder, for some reason the game itself DOESN'T get elevated privileges (of course it doesn't) so it can't access those files?

I will see if I can fix that by logging onto and starting it from my admin account. If that works I think I know how to fix it.

Update: No dice, but I seem to be on the right track. As in: it looks like I DID install the game with elevated privileges. At least the PSO2 folder is 'owned' by Admin according to windows, and my normal user has read-only access.
    I tried manually changing that... no dice.

I'll try a complete reinstall, this time making sure the tweaker is NOT in admin mode... wish me luck.
    Last edited by Atlessa; Aug 26, 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Still no luck. Need help please? :/

Update:

So after two reinstalls, three full filechecks, a lot of grey hairs and a "maybe I should reinstall windows?"...

I decided to just do it all over again, this time making sure the Tweaker ALWAYS had elevated priviliges.
    Lo and behold, it works now, after only 12 hours of troubleshooting. <.< I only need to always launch the tweaker with elevated privileges for SOME darned reason.

Oh well. At least I can play now.

I'd STILL prefer the Tweaker to run without admin privileges, though... so if anyone has any other idea how to get there, let me know.

Just looked at some of the old change logs, and it looks like Tweaker does always need to be elevated to admin because of the functions it has, so really, you don't have much choice unless you don't want to use the Tweaker's plug-ins (particularly Item Translation).