Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Ha, well programming will start to take longer when you get to more complex systems and timing in attacking mechanics and enemy AI. It does depend on how you want to solve your gameplay 'problems'. Quick and dirty solutions are easy to make, but will bite you hard in the butt when you have to push out the content. Generic and reusable solutions is what you want if you want to be able to ever finish the game. Even better is making your solutions data driven as much as possible.

To me the programming part always feels the most addicting to do. I can spend an entire Saturday from morning till night building all kinds of things and cursing real loud at my own mistakes, later followed by a cheer of joy when I eventually get it to work

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I just want to get to it because that's what I studied. And kinda what I want to improve upon the most. It's also the one that I want to test the most. What kind of cool things can I do with all the algorithms that I've learned how to do?

But I also just want a break from drawing. Damn it's exhausting.

It is???? Nooooo drawing is the most relaxing thing I can think of! My advice, if you are the same type of person as me, is to occupy your audio part of your brain with something else. Sometimes music is enough, but when I get to the more boring stuff like painting details, I switch to listening to podcasts.

Hm, I wonder if that's the issue... Whenever I learn new things, I tend to get tired much more easily. I'll try it out though. An easy fix like that would be great.

Today was slow. But still, I made some progress.

In motion:

I added a complete custom made background music (will be available for download once I finalize it), added some logic so you don't go flying out of the game space if you go so far, added controller support and custom controls, fixed up the controls, have basic controls with custom animations...

It looks like it's time to update the download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e6lkfmoaqwfzekd/Home.zip

I played around with it a bit with the controller, and I have to say I had a blast. I can't wait to design levels around these controls. Though, unfortunately, I need more than basic functionality to make levels. And with each functionality I create, I need to create an animation. At least this one room is complete.

I had no motivation today. Eventually I got to work on my attack animation though.

Just having it in the game for me to do whenever I press the attack button really feels good. But it obviously needs much more work. Hopefully I can modify it for use underwater, but this is just the start of it.

My plan is to have an intermediate frame between standing / walking and attacking, of her stepping forward. Then have three frames of this pose, with the hair moving and an image blur of the sword fading. It will still mostly be this pose, but the hair / fins / blur will be edited. Afterwards, I step back to the standing/walking pose.
    Pressing the attack button again will do another animation swinging with the other hand, once again with one intermediate frame and three frames with a motion blur.

The thought of planning out those frames kinda overwhelms me, so I'm calling it until I can gather up the motivation to work on it. Hearing some thoughts on the pose would be great, in case there's something off that I missed.

A bit too early for me to celebrate, but,

Now things get confusing. Already I'm having trouble in my game with this inclusion. And I still have to figure out how to animate going back to a standing pose, do animation locks, and how to perform a combo. But still, a start!

Oh yeah! And I want to do little water sprinkles. Any tips on how to do that?

Well... I tried. I was hoping I wouldn't have to add too much motion, since I need to do non-art stuff eventually. But this is too still.

Any suggestions on how to improve it? Obviously I went the lazy route, but I think I went too lazy.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:18 AM.

Bah, I don't know. It looks better, but I may need to make more changes to make it look good. Am I going to have to double the frames?