Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Ha! thats indeed how it works! you build system upon system, getting smarter and smarter trough the process. It's a matter of creating solid building blocks that will transform a random scene into a game. I'd first focus on making sure moving around is the best thing ever. If core gameplay is not fun and you rely to much on systems or gimmicks, your game will fall apart very quickly. This video is a great showcase of how changing the feel of the core gameplay can change how the game is experienced dramatically
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdEqssNZ-U

My game development learning proces is an organic one. I only look on how to learn something when I need it. I need to make textures? ok, gotta learn UV and texturing software! I need to make sound effect? Lets look up how people make sound effects! I go in this with a mindset that I can learn everything to a decent level and then directly use that skill for my game. Thats why I am pretty confident I can also make the music for my own game, even though my music making skills aren't the best around, I know I can make a decent enough soundtrack myself. I don't wanna go down the route of using marketplace assets and such, simply since it wouldn't be 100% MY GAME anymore. To many indy games these days use the same lazy assets that make them a boring experience imo.

Thats why I think its great to see you make your own sprites. I mean, you always come off like you think you have no artistic talent, but your first animated sprite looks great and I am sure you will only get better at it. Of course your drawing skills are not suddenly gonna be top notch, but they will be good enough for your game.

As for my game:
    There was this 4 week vacation to New Zealand and after that landing my brain back in the Netherlands. So, not super much has changed. Just been working on the first real assets for World 1 using my own concept art as a guide. As for systems, I think I've been tweaking my AI and gave it a weak and a strong attack, with hyper armor during the strong attack. Other then that QUESTING SYSTEM! I already got most of it working and am now working on the quest counter / teleported functionality and menu's. The quests work trough multiple spreadsheets, which I can simply edit in Excel. So, my levels are just empty environments, which load in enemy spawns, items, events, etc using the quest system.

After that I am gonna see if I can make cutscene/text messages and incorporate those into the quests. Client orders are also on the list. Also wanna make a water material for my levels.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

but your first animated sprite looks great and I am sure you will only get better at it. Of course your drawing skills are not suddenly gonna be top notch, but they will be good enough for your game.
    Senpai noticed me! Again!

Swimming is a dream. I love just swimming around. I just got standing working, so hopefully I can make that just as tight. But...I should get gamepad compatibility working before that.

I'm hoping I can get faster and faster at drawing. I'm hoping I can just make rough blobs of monsters and make them look decent enough, but I won't know until I get to that point. Until then, it's Levia animations for me. Gotta get walking done, then sprinting, then dashing, then attacking... hoo boy. Last I checked, I got three sprites in a day. That's better than one for sure, but I have a ways to go.

If you get sound design working, give me a holler. I'm stuck trying to find decent instruments that other people do, which makes it hard for me to get exactly what I want.

I'd be okay if not everything is mine. Game design is normally a team effort, and I want to focus on what makes me special. But at the same time, I also have certain things I want to implement. I could make a generic fantasy game, but then how would I add a Levia?
    I'd like an artist, but until one agrees to do everything I want, I just have to do it myself. I think I have enough skill to do everything else, so just gotta buckle down and learn.
    If it takes 10,000 hours to master something, then I just have to keep at it for 3.5 years and I'll be amazing!

So, I started Mario Odyssey. And then I didn't stop it. And now two weeks have passed. Not good progress.

I started the walk animation. I'm going to have to move a couple of things to give the illusion of movement, plus double the frames to make it a decent level of smoothness. But on the plus side, it looks like I can copy paste half of the work.

You can see the illusion of movement if you follow a foot, but if not then it looks like two frames. So this definitely needs more work. Still, good place to be at.

Any advice on how the hair and fins should move? I wanted to go for something graceful and still, so I don't think they should be bouncing around. But they shouldn't be sitting still either.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Jan 13, 2018 at 04:49 AM.

Girlfriend was busy today, so I just crammed it out. One animation done in one day! At this rate, I might make progress!

Thoughts and critiques plz

Next is a sprint and a jump animation, then I can get started on attacks.

Looking pretty good!

Try to make the upper body slightly go up in the frame where the legs are next to each other. If you can: Try also moving the arms (arms move in the opposite direction from the legs).

I kinda wanted to keep kind of a glide as she moved. Something graceful and dancer like. I know that makes the animation look more amateurish, but I wanted to keep it if I was able to make it look good. Any ideas how I might be able to do that?

And, I kinda love the folded hands on her, and want to keep that too. Does it look bad enough to need tossing, or is there something I can do to keep it?

I feel like I can improve on this more. I don't even know what the dorsal fins should be doing.

Flap around maybe? Other then that it looks good imo. Reminds me of ninja running

I've loved that run ever since I watched Inu Yasha. I've always imagined her running like that. I've always said that she moves on land like she's swimming through the air, and I got to that with this. I took one of the swimming frames and modified it to make this run. I'm hoping to keep it going by having special moves that use the same animations underwater and above, and having it make sense in both cases.

A friend said I should increase the frames. I thought I would be okay because of how short the animation was, but it only really has two frames. I didn't put much work into it. I can put more.

I doubled the frames, but I'm not sure it actually looks any better. If anything, it looks jankier.