Hybrid View

Default Phantasy Star Tabletop RPG?!

Hey-o! It's your Hunter/Arks/Guardian/Rappy Breeder, Cobalt, here.

So, I was at work a week or so ago, and I had two Phantasy Star ideas pop into my head. The first was a Phantasy Star fighting game(Could be fun, could be horrifying, who knows.)

And the other...was a Phantasy Star themed Tabletop campaign. Probably played within Starfinder or something. Had even come up with some stuff for the CAST Race and the Beasts as well, but...that's where things get tricky. What universe should I focus it on, since PSO2 and PSU are both such amazing games (And PSO1 to an extent, but I think PSO2 does everything and then some.) What should the plot be? And who would even want to be a part of it?

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. My apologies if it doesnt belong in Fan Works, but hey. I am a Fan, and I am working on it, so...yeah. Lol.

Anyways, have a great day, support Deuman Supremacy, and above all else....Don't download Norton onto a CAST. I've seen it, and it isn't pretty.

I've had similar idea and Pathfinder/Starfinder is excellent to make such a setting work. There is an actual Android race in Pathfinder/Starfinder that would be a great substitute for playing a Cast. Other races would be easy to build as well.

I'm GMing a game right now that has an Android PC (Gunslinger to be specific)

Pathfinder's how I got introduced to the tabletop scene(That and watching Projared's D&DCember videos.) And I definitely feel more...comfortable with it.

I was planning on using aspects from both PSO2(Like the classes, the Deuman Race, and maybe the Dark Blast/Photon Burst mechanics.) and PSU (Beasts, Nanoblasts, and SUV Weapons.) I actually have the following written down for CASTs and Beasts.

CASTS:

Ability Scores: These robots are adept at logic and aiming, but are not very skilled at playing with others.. +2 Wisdom, +2 Dexterity. -2 Charisma.

Proficient: CASTs tend to be proficient in any Gun or ranged weapon, and are excellent Rangers.

SUV Weapons: CASTs of 5th Level can summon a Powerful assortment of weapons from space once a day. Damage depends on SUV Weapon Equipped. Requires a turn to prepare.

Beasts

+2 Strength, +2 Constitution, - 2 Dexterity

Proficient in melee weapons, primarily swords and axes. Excellent Hunters.

Nanoblast: Once per day, Beasts of 5th level or higher can tap into their dormant primal nature and become something truly monsterous. Depending on the special Tattoo they have(Can be changed. Need to think of a limit for this.) The nanoblast will have one of four different abilities: Increased Attack, Increased AC, Increased Movement Speed, Total Invulnarbility(At the cost of a shorter transformation duration.)

When you said table top game I originally thought Clue or Monopoly, which would have been interesting if they had their own spin offs. A DnD campaign sounds interesting though. Though I can't really join in on the theory crafting and fun since I know little about pathfinder and the inner workings of a DnD game. They are interesting to watch or listen to though. So if there was a stream or podcast of one, i'd probably watch/listen to it.

As for plots and worlds,

I'd go with PSO2 if I wanted a world of exploring planets and meeting new races.

I'd go with PSO if I wanted a more mercenary feel, though PSU would work for that too.

I'd go with PSU if I wanted a more grim plot. PSO would work for that too though.
    Last edited by yoshiblue; Feb 6, 2018 at 03:28 AM.

If it's filled with nothing but PSO and PSU content then i have to say no i'll pass.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

Quote Originally Posted by StreetFighter2242 View Post
    If it's filled with nothing but PSO and PSU content then i have to say no i'll pass.
    To be fair, I only played a little of the first game, got so bloody lost and confused, and kinda just..raged.

Heck, even if I didn't, there's still the problem of me..not knowing what to do with this game idea.

I am a HUcast to know what you are take the quiz here.

All this chat about CAST Supremacy, but where's our Neuman Supremacy? Or Beasts? Deumans? Humans? ...Rappies?

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltGale View Post
    To be fair, I only played a little of the first game, got so bloody lost and confused, and kinda just..raged.

Heck, even if I didn't, there's still the problem of me..not knowing what to do with this game idea.

Now that i can understand. But even though it's limited there is always trying to information in the surrounding area you're currently in. That's all can think of.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

Classic setting is still something worth looking into though. Would also be a good excuse to use 80s/90s anime character styles, haha.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

If you're going to consider a fighting game, keep in mind the sheer scope of doing something you would consider simple. I have around 60 images drawn by myself right now, and the only functionality I have is walking, running, jumping, and swimming. Having a whole bunch of attacks, for multiple characters, would be insane unless you had a talented artist.
    That's not even getting into the programming aspects of it. Which I'm not because I'm not even that far into the game yet.

I'd say tabletop is a much simpler way to explore the fantasy of what you want. I'd love a D&D campaign centered around the Phantasy Star universe {small}(little u){/small}. Classic PS is a great way to go, because that series takes place over 2000 years. There are plenty of time zones to consider, along with locals. Heck, I'd say PSO is just a scaled down version of that universe.

If you want to know more about that world, We have a Let's Play on this forum of the first game here. You can skip 3, and go directly into 4 whenever you want. For 2... I guess you would have to watch a Let's Play of that, but I haven't seen anyone do one.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Feb 14, 2018 at 01:52 PM.

Not gonna lie, I'd totally be down to play a TTRPG based on PSO/PSO2