Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSO2 worth coming back to in 2018?

I played PSO2 heavy back in 2014 for about 2 years and eventually got bored of it. I later began playing FFXIV and have been playing it ever since. I love the game but I'm beginning to get frustrated with some of the decisions SE is making with it. I'm thinking I need somewhat of a break with it because I'm getting tired of it's "releasing small tidbits of story/raiding/new content" every few months. The producer of the game literally told the fanbase to unsub during no content months until they release something new. It's ridiculous...There's alot more gripes I have with it as well but that's a topic for another day.

Is the story still locked behind the stupid matterboard? I know most people don't care about story in an MMO but it gives me something to do other than grind.

What kind of events are they having nowadays? Have they finally gone back to areas in PSO yet?

I know that alot has been added since I took my break. Is it worth getting reinvested in these days? I need everyone's honest opinion.
    Last edited by Chimeria; Feb 17, 2018 at 05:32 PM.

It's technically 2018 already... >_>
    They are actually getting rid of the Matterboard system next month, and have added Omnibus Quests for Episodes 1 -3 which are super streamlined versions of the episodes (though a lot of the "quest" part of the missions has been removed). Episode 4 uses a Storyboard system which is presented in a web like Matterboards, but doesn't require you to hunt for stuff, rather it is just all done on the Bridge, and Episode 5 is just presented as a Quest Counter on the Bridge.
    Just the same old, same old: new EQs every few months, along with some LQ events that give big EXP boosts and web panel rewards. And no, they have not added PSO areas.
    There have been a lot of rebalances in the last couple of years, but honestly, it is the same content drip that it has been for years now.
    Last edited by Anduril; Feb 17, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    It's technically 2018 already... >_>
    They are actually getting rid of the Matterboard system next month, and have added Omnibus Quests for Episodes 1 -3 which are super streamlined versions of the episodes (though a lot of the "quest" part of the missions has been removed). Episode 4 uses a Storyboard system which is presented in a web like Matterboards, but doesn't require you to hunt for stuff, rather it is just all done on the Bridge, and Episode 5 is just presented as a Quest Counter on the Bridge.
    Just the same old, same old: new EQs every few months, along with some LQ events that give big EXP boosts and web panel rewards. And no, they have not added PSO areas.
    There have been a lot of rebalances in the last couple of years, but honestly, it is the same content drip that it has been for years now.
    Year changed. lol

The Matterboard being removed is cool. I've heard mixed reviews on the story but I did want to experience it. It's a shame about the PSO areas though...even PSU did it and it was the one thing I liked about FFXIV was it pulls so much on the past games.It's another reason I stopped playing, While I enjoyed it, it stopped feeling like a Phantasy Star game and more of just a generic anime MMO. I still may give it another go. It was nice being able to jump in and do a few runs and EQs.

ho boy if you think FF14 is struggling with content, you've come back to this game at a not so good time, its in content drop hell right now

I checked up Defiance recently. Just wanted to shoot things during PSO2 maintenance and found it totally unchanged except few things... PSO2 evolving much in this time compared to that one.
    Last edited by Zulastar; Feb 17, 2018 at 09:34 PM.

If you didn't play during or after episode 4, then you might find out some interesting stuff, quite a lot happened.
    Ep4 and Ep5 have separate stories that severely lack in action whatsoever. While level cap and difficulty were stagnant since ep3, other systems had some changes so you will be busy for some time upgrading gear and rings and whatever else. Theres also battle arena, which is probably the only thing that has healthy update rotation.

But if you're, like, "investing" in the game, meaning you'd expect lots of stuff soon, then its maybe not a good idea, not much is known about roadmap plans currently, only some really sparse bits on class balance.

The Lone Gamer of the Apockalypse Zorak000's Avatar

the only winning move it to play nothing

anyway, its' the final week of the main New Years Carnival event limited quests, so you could probably see what you could do to catch up before tuesday I guess. after that it sounds like we are going to head over to battle arena for a couple weeks until the ~mystery march updates~ hit (I think it's the Switch version launch)

the Vita and PS4 launch updates came with a bunch of other QoL upgrades, and I think sakai teased on his blog that the late march update is going to be a big one
    Last edited by Zorak000; Feb 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorak000 View Post

the Vita and PS4 launch updates came with a bunch of other QoL upgrades, and I think sakai teased on his blog that the late march update is going to be a big one
    this made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Chimeria View Post
    Is the story still locked behind the stupid matterboard? I know most people don't care about story in an MMO but it gives me something to do other than grind.
    Nope, instead it's locked behind Buster Quests, but at least you don't have to wait for 7 people to join before being able to progress now.

What kind of events are they having nowadays?
    500% boosted HP and 100% boosted damage raid bosses on top of the usual emergency quests. The next big content drop is Omega Loser, a recolored Falz Loser.

Have they finally gone back to areas in PSO yet?
    They've gone to FF14 areas and Earth and are currently drawing heavy inspiration from Azeroth. You get to meet Elves and fight Goblins, Undead, Tauren, Orcs and Deathwing!

I know that alot has been added since I took my break. Is it worth getting reinvested in these days? I need everyone's honest opinion.
    I guess it's free...

Phantasy Dad Online II Dragwind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zulastar View Post
    I checked up Defiance recently. Just wanted to shoot things during PSO2 maintenance and found it totally unchanged except few things... PSO2 evolving much in this time compared to that one.
    That game had such potential, so sadly wasted.

As far as whether you should get back into the game depends on your interests, and your personal goals within the game. If you stopped playing in 2014, there's obviously a lot you missed, and depending on what your goals in-game are, a whole lot for you to catch up on related to story as well gear and leveling.
    PSO, PSU, PS:Po, PSZ | PSO2: Jergraw (All classes 90) Lunaeris Demoria (Fo/Te 90) Onlak (Hr 90)
    -**Tech crafting max- message me for crafts**-

Forum Rules - Read it!