Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Assorted PSO2 Slice of Life Short Stories

So, I decided to give another try at some of the PSO2-based short story projects I've abandoned over the past couple of years, and tentatively plan to add them here.

To start off, here are profiles for my major and minor characters establishing their status quo around the beginning of Episode 1:

~MAJOR CHARACTERS~
    Spoiler!

~MINOR CHARACTERS~
    Spoiler!

~RELATIONSHIP CHART~
    Spoiler!

I do plan on keeping my writing somewhat closely tied to the established lore of PSO2, with a couple of assumptions:
    • Based on the ages of several characters, the ARKS academy has students as young as 14 (based on Zeno's age in Ep2-6), and they become full-fledged ARKS at 16.
    • There are at least a couple of generations of Deumen before the current, as there is no indication that Io or Pietro were converted into Deumen from some other race.

Depending on the focal character of the piece, point-of-view and style will vary, including but not limited to journals, scripts, and second-person narration.
    Any feedback, comments, and criticism in relation to anything in this thread is appreciated.

~WORKS LIST~
    Snowy (03/03/2016; revision 03/05/2016) [Ophelia, Charlotte]
    Concert Night (04/06/2018) [Kayla, Branwyn]
    We Both Have Pretty Bad Vision (04/20/2018; audio added 05/19/2018) [Noland, Kayla]
    Home (04/28/2018; revision 05/06/2018) [Andrea, Charlotte]
    Journal Excerpts: AP228/09/11-10/12 (05/07/2018) [Erin, Teresa, Charlotte, Andrea]

So Bored (05/18/2018) [Charlotte, Andrea, Erin, Ophelia]
    The Reisartin Detective Agency Files: Teresa and the Mystery Client (05/29/2018) [Teresa, Gayle]
    A Restless Night Bathed in Moonlight (06/14/2018) [Branwyn, Kayla]
    Last edited by Anduril; Oct 15, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

An interesting start, I've always wondered what sort of stories you had for all your characters and shall stay tuned for more.

So, I decided to rework my entry to the fashion competition Moment of Style:

Concert Night
    Spoiler!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Original Moment of Style Entry:
    Spoiler!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    An interesting start, I've always wondered what sort of stories you had for all your characters and shall stay tuned for more.
    I am going to try and stick with it this time, though I don't think I'll ever go for a full, continuous narrative, so it's going to be short stuff like this for the time being. That said, I hope that I don't disappoint especially since I am a bit rusty right now.
    Last edited by Anduril; Apr 6, 2018 at 11:09 PM.

Heh, the rare second person. What made you decide to go first person with the expanded chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by yoshiblue View Post
    Heh, the rare second person. What made you decide to go first person with the expanded chapter?
    It was just a stylistic choice based on the POV character; with the bits and fragments I've started with, my intention was to use a different format for different groups of characters, mixing POV and style in a way that is somewhat reflective of the main character. With Ophelia as the main character in "Snowy," second-person feels a bit more in line with her introverted personality since it is more controlled and internalized while also not betraying her thoughts all at once, and for Kayla, as a someone who is of the bookish persuasion, a casual semi-nightly journal felt appropriate. One I started working on before was Rhian, whose style would be more like a report that is being submitted to a superior officer (ie. highly detailed with very little, if any, fluff) as I view her as being very focused, and since she chooses not to speak, it would demonstrate how she interacts with others because of that choice. It is a lofty goal, I admit.
    Last edited by Anduril; Apr 7, 2018 at 08:12 PM.

Fun times. Makes me wonder who will get third person limited and who gets third person omniscient

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Welcome to the crew! I'm trying hard to keep up with all the stories going on, but I like keeping the forum alive. Let's see what you have to offer!

My first note is that the first post is quite an info dump. I'm not sure what you have planned, but I doubt I'll be able to remember all this information. I'll hold back further thoughts until I see what you do with this information.
    edit: After reading through both stories, the info dump is welcome. It's more a glossary of additional information than something we need to memorize. More of a way to get into your head than something we need for the story.

...oh hey! I remember this story! Yeah, you were good. I'd love to see more. Past-me put my thoughts into words better than current-me, so I'm not going to add to them. At least for the first chapter.

Concert Night
    Normally I'd put my thoughts into spoiler boxes, but what's important isn't so much the story and more how you tell it.
    I see what you're talking about with the different forms of perception. This one also feels intimate, like you're sitting in front of someone telling you a story of their night last night.
    Your writing is so unique compared to what else is on here. While we all go on these grand adventures, you put emphasis on the little things that go on in each life we pass over. It's very comfortable, though I guess the low size helps with that.

So, I think I want to say that the best thing you can do right now is just upload short little things that you work on regularly. If you want to go big (which was enough to overwhelm me a lot of the time), then maybe work a bit on that between shorter uploads. But the shorter stuff is better for getting the cobwebs off.
    If you want to write and don't have anything to write about, I would consider going over each character and giving them an introduction. That is, a short story that goes over an incident that would define them well for the reader. Then maybe after that, chapters that go over each of the relationships. I'd also consider writing some holiday stuff in advance just for the festivities.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Apr 18, 2018 at 06:44 PM.

Kinda been quiet on here becuase the piece I have been working on is a bit out there in terms of format, so I'm really scrutinizing it (I am currently on draft 4, which will likely also be scrapped). I hope to have a version I am somewhat comfortable putting out there in the next week or so, but I may put it on the back burner and flesh out one of the other half formed stories I have first.

@yoshiblue: I'm actually still contemplating assigning those; I am juggling with Branwyn and Charlotte for 3rd-person omniscient, the former because of her position as on operator being one that is more outside of herself, and the latter since it would be interesting to know the thoughts of others in relation to the way she approaches situations with reckless abandon.

@Zorafim: Yeah, the bios themselves were more of a personal project to really just hammer out certain things about each character that had still been nebulous in my head so that I could have a reference point for my own internal consistency. Some of them are actually condensed versions of events that I intend to flesh out, particularly the direct aftermath of the Darker incident for Erin's party.
    For the most part, I don't see my characters really as "main characters," so these slice-of-life vignettes feel more appropriate. I do have an idea that is a bit more grand in scale, but for now that is just a vagueness that may or may not come to fruition.

Its all good. I'm sure the quality will be much better because of it, but I like what you're doing. Not really going for the grand story, but still building a foundation to stack upon. If not to put your foot through the door, it at least helps cement your characters. Will be looking forward to your next slice of life chapter.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

Kinda like the Silmarillion of Lord of the Rings. An extra little tidbit that has some extra detail for the more diehard fans or people who want more, and a great resource for the writer or anyone who does fanfiction.
    Well, kinda.

I write notes as I read, so if I say anything, it's likely something that popped into my head just then. Hopefully that means that other readers are thinking it too, which will give you some insight on what people are thinking.
    But anyway, I felt like I had enough information with just the story alone, and after reading them, the profiles are great for some additional information.