Default Which PS game to start with?

I have never played any PS1-4 games and I almost bought the PS collection for GBA back in the day and man I wish I did. I'm looking to play but should I just start from 1 and go from there? I'm playing PSP now hoping to play PSP2 soon but I want something more traditional.

What's your favorite that I should start with?

If you want to through the original series in a chronicle order; you need to start with the original Phantasy Star. But PS IV does a decent job of giving the background of what has transpired in PS I & II if you watch the intro. PS III is more of a side-story then an actual part of the over-all story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyleo View Post
    If you want to through the original series in a chronicle order; you need to start with the original Phantasy Star. But PS IV does a decent job of giving the background of what has transpired in PS I & II if you watch the intro. PS III is more of a side-story then an actual part of the over-all story arc.
    makes sense is that why it wasn't included in the GBA collection? I'll give 1 a shot

I'd say:
    Generation 1 (Playstation 2, with fan translation, PCSX2 emulates it great). Too easy compared to the original game, but you are starting, right?...
    Generation 2 (Playstation 2, with fan translation). Keeps the challenge and grind of the original game, with some playable extras that make it a little bit less hard.
    Phantasy Star 4 vanilla
    Phantasy Star III (with your mods / cheats / whatever of choice, and don't forget to keep a savestate before every marriage to play all 4 endings)

That's the chronological order.

so 1, 2, 4, 3 are correct orders? I guess that would make sense for the GBA version. I do wanna play Generations, might gotta get a copy. Fun fact, I think at the game store in Little Tokyo here in LA I saw a copy of Phantasy Star Generations.

If you are talking about Japanese imports, the Japanese Playstation (3) store has them very cheap, less than 1000Y each, there is also the collection with all four original games in english and everything else in japanese (adventure, gaiden and text adventures).

Just to make sure, Generations would refer to Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom, while Generation:1 and Generation:2 refers to the remakes

Spoiler!