Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PSO (North American Return?)

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this but whys it so hard to port over a engligh version of PSO2 to a game consloe used by people in the USA i miss PSO so much,Do game devleoper at SEGA think USA players don't want it or won't buy it anymore?There are players having to figure out how to get on JP SEGA PSO servers,and thats not easy for most of us,plus my JP lauguage skill is so limited it's not funny,I still play PSO(GC] offline because it's all i really have right now but i also have a old handheld portable PS and a few versoins of PSO portable but without online play it' just not the same.As for private servers there to hard to acsess without good PC skills...

i think it just comes down to staff and profitability. in the past, most visibly with PSU, there was a severe content release gap in time for any number of reasons. i remember edward/clumsy talking about it a little bit in the past on SEGA forums, but that was probably nearly a decade ago by now. by keeping the game solely in japan, while silently allowing foreigners to also play on the server, they don't have to worry about running 1 game on 2 different servers, with different languages, and different companies to please, just SoJ.

I really doubt is currently about "how hard it is", as much of a "why bother". Sega is aware of how gaijins has been playing for a while now, so there is even less players willing to play a NA version than before. I for sure wouldnt start over in an inferior version that is behind updates and will probably lose support before the current one.

On the bright side, they been releasing more games in NA(7th Dragon, Yakuza, Puyo Puyo) and they said they wanted to bring more games to NA after eating Atlus, so there is a fair chance their next big Phantasy Star game may come to NA.

You do not need JP language skills to enjoy the game thanks to the Arks Layer Team providing an excellent English patch that translates relevant content almost instantly.

Private servers for PSO are super easy tho. You just download the client and you're ready to go. Just recently I downloaded Ephinea PSO BB client, installed it and was already ready to go. Honestly the hardest part about this was deciding my section ID, since Ephinea allows you to change these once before hitting level 20.

But to answer your question. Sega most likely is just scared the game would flop after what happened with PSU. I know it might sound insane to think about but back in 2012 Gatcha monetarization wasn't as popular as it is nowadays (which is bread and butter of PSO2's F2P model) and Sega knew they'd have to cut out a lot of content because licensing anime collaborations in the west is a bitch. Attack on Titan games on the 3DS can't use a proper name and the My hero academia game had to scrap the academia part in the west because of that. However nowadays that the Gatcha system was proven sustainable, people stopped caring for the western release. the only people who still don't just play on a JP server are people who are pretending you need to be some 1337 Hax0r to even get the game running when it's never been hard to get into the game. A western PSO2 would be dead on arrival and there is always the possibility we get a scummy publisher that will ruin the F2P model like that translated Asia release that turned out to be a waste everyones time

Quote Originally Posted by echofaith View Post
    I really doubt is currently about "how hard it is", as much of a "why bother". Sega is aware of how gaijins has been playing for a while now, so there is even less players willing to play a NA version than before. I for sure wouldnt start over in an inferior version that is behind updates and will probably lose support before the current one.
    when i say "i think it just comes down to staff and profitability" i'm more just getting at rather than sega putting in effort to serve a somewhat larger fanbase on 2 continents, they can be lazy and just run 1 server and catch a wide enough net of foreigners still. so like you said "why bother" lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Saligun View Post
    As for private servers there to hard to acsess without good PC skills...
    i should also mention @ the OP if you are interested in playing PSOBB, most of the private servers are much, much easier to access now (though i still think it's against policy for whatever reason to actually talk about?).

Quote Originally Posted by echofaith View Post
    Sega is aware of how gaijins has been playing for a while now, so there is even less players willing to play a NA version than before. I for sure wouldnt start over in an inferior version that is behind updates and will probably lose support before the current one.
    Pretty much this. If there's any factors outside licenses, massive hacking from normies and uncertain success, it's the fact that people outside of Japan have been playing for so many years and that no one wants to start over.
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

PSU flopped on PC, but the 360 servers had a couple of "universes" full for two or three years after the PC servers had shut down, and those were paying monthly. I doubt that didn't pay the electricity bills and "weekly" maintenance... and server technology doesn't seem to have changed a lot in pso2, we are still divided by blocks and servers. Sega should see how monster hunter world has been successful world wide and wonder if they can do something as appealing, because pso2 was visually outdated at launch day, and tier 6 graphics and all the modding don't better it that much. But then, if steam is full of mediocre games like Kritika or Closers, why not PSO2... I would start over no problem and have both JP and ENG games installed if it meant Phantasy Star being alive outside of Japan xd I also don't care about collabs and don't consider them as content updates, in the end if it had happened and been successful it would have had its own third party collabs, starting with sega's owned companies and their licences (warhammer 4000 for example).
    Last edited by landman; Jul 30, 2018 at 03:50 PM.

Well, can end this discussion pretty quick. Sega makes money from AC Scratch. AC Scratch would be considered gambling in US and EU now. It is never coming to the west. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    Well, can end this discussion pretty quick. Sega makes money from AC Scratch. AC Scratch would be considered gambling in US and EU now. It is never coming to the west. Deal with it.
    Gacha rolls in mobile games somehow exist even in western releases of these titles. Same for lootboxes.

Not saying Sega will (they won't) or should (they shouldn't) bring PSO2 to the west, just that I don't think this argument holds water.
    Last edited by TehCubey; Jul 30, 2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    we have mobile gacha games and other f2p games offering basically the same or more when it comes to aesthetics etc that this MMO should have no problem fitting in. the only main issue again is licensing and how to go about replacing that stuff.

this game has 4yrs left on it, whether Sega decides to squeeze some money out of it with a West release seems less likely, theres literally no point of releasing it this late in the game unless they pull some surprise West connects to Jp move out of nowhere and there comes the part of having to ease new players into the current content etc even more than what they already do for their own players