Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    This is a doubled-edged sword, and the problem that exists isn't an enemy-AI issue, but a player powercreep issue. In my opinion it's not enemies who should have their AI improved, it's players who should have their powers reduced. Note that I am not saying "reduce player damage". I am saying "reduce damage avoidance capabilities", "reduce PP regeneration", "reduce Healing potential", and such. And this doesn't have to come through nerfs; in fact it can be achieved through buffs: Increase player HP from say 1500 to 6000 without increasing healing from -mates, Resta, lifesteals etc. Suddenly healing is 75% less effective than before. Create enemy abilities that are locked on player and hit regardless if player dodges or not. Increase PP from 200 to 1000 without increasing PP recovery options and while also creating lvl18. and above PA/Tech disks that deal more damage but have higher PP cost. PP will then become a factor that the player will have to manage.
    I agree with most of what's said because there just ain't enough ways to make interesting challenges for players flying out of enemy range and doing massive damage from 10 years of invincibility, but I think you're proposing some wrong workarounds here. The strongest healing effects in the game sure need to be nerfed, even resta or megiverse are a bit OP, not even mentioning Automated Halfline, but suddenly having a gigantic HP jump will yet again leave a whole lot of content in dust without a big rebalance. I would just love me good nerf and telling people to suck it up.

Undodgeable attacks are a type of bullshit, it's really really easy to make enemies hit players more often by taking a few skills/PAs giving millions of iframes for nothing, and no floating in the air out of enemy range either. You want more? More enemies cluttering the screen will solve problems with any player that's a bit too good at timing things. Then you make the boss attack faster while increasing timing requirements on successful defensive actions. Better yet actually add more enemies to the boss in the form of appendages acting on its own or simultaneous projectile attacks independent of boss' main body actions. Look at Anga bits which never fail to put some actually not really scratch damage on me during solo.

PP management currently isn't a problem either. PAs are extremely spammy, but it's a good thing since PAs are more unique than normal attacks. You're really chaining singular actions into each other more akin to a slow and simple Fighting game rather than doing dial up combos, but it's all good. Do we really need to make everyone play just a bit closer to a Techer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrius Véurr View Post
    >
    Free Fields and ARKS Quests are not honestly catered to the veteran players, who should have at least 75'd both their main and subclass by now, and should be focusing on Extreme Quests, LQs, Ultimate Quests ,EQs, Endless and etc for 13* and 14* drops and exp gain. The ones that actually plays the aforementioned Free Fields and ARKS Quests are gathering materials for crafts, the newbies, for photo-taking purposes and for daily orders.
    lol. That's nice imagination you've got, but you should actually play the game. First of all Extreme Quests besides the solo ones and quickly repurposed for 4 man party one are all balanced for around late SH difficulty, all 3 times about 70 floors or so of them. The only up-to-date XQ we have is 5 floors of solo + almost the same 5 floors in a party of 4 with a few small changes. Similarly LQ were just nerfed into ground. XH level LQ has SH level HP because newbie players grinded them too slowly . EQs should be done by all players since they take a limited timeslot with usually much better rewards than any full availability quests. The only exception would be rematches which we have 3(?) as I am not counting the one done entirely in the AIS and the other one done almost entirely in Luther form. Ultimate Quests are outdated all the same with enemies balanced for EP3 with random chance of bigger hp mobs.

Now compare it to Free Field called Enchanted Forest which houses actually the toughest mobs in the game hp wise as even latest Buster EQ has lowered hp on their level 85 mobs compared to level 80 most for EF. We have a difficulty setting for a reason, and we should've had a new difficulty much earlier that would separate level 75 XH mobs for players who barely hit their own level 75, and level 85 or tougher mobs put on that new one. Just look at Enchanted Forest levels of HP/mob aggressiveness and compare it to Kuron Free Field while saying they are the same level of difficulty. Fuck veteran players might not just want to play a Time Attack simulator with different name all the time and actually go into a properly balanced Free Field while having semi-random adventures instead of set in stone stage spawns.

No more medieval settings. If I wanted this crap, I'd play FFXIV
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

The story needs to become less of a teenage drama that makes Brazilian and Indian soap operas look like they should receive Oscar awards, and more of a sci-fi story with aliens, mechas, and malevolent demigods. Which it already has, but I think is not using "enough". Personal opinion always
    This has been on my wishlist for a while. I know at this point PSO2 is anime trope central but if anything, I'd just like to see more of the sci-fi/space theme explored upon more. I really liked the idea of basically being space mercenaries..I liked it even more being a space mercenary that actually explored new and unknown planets and areas and having to worry about some odd entity corrupting the wild-life or the government doing experiments on soliders and turning them into crazy 30ft tall sword-arm monsters that attack you on your way down an elevator shaft. lol.

If anything, I had a disconnect with the story during episode 4 when Japan and Vegas were added. Like FFXV having sort of that (almost) real world setting, it just kind of took me out of the game especially since the PS series has always been a more contained story within it's own world/universe. Why not just make a fictional city like Clyez from PSU? It's a personal thing but that always bothered me.

This is a doubled-edged sword, and the problem that exists isn't an enemy-AI issue, but a player powercreep issue. In my opinion it's not enemies who should have their AI improved, it's players who should have their powers reduced. Note that I am not saying "reduce player damage". I am saying "reduce damage avoidance capabilities", "reduce PP regeneration", "reduce Healing potential", and such. And this doesn't have to come through nerfs; in fact it can be achieved through buffs: Increase player HP from say 1500 to 6000 without increasing healing from -mates, Resta, lifesteals etc. Suddenly healing is 75% less effective than before. Create enemy abilities that are locked on player and hit regardless if player dodges or not. Increase PP from 200 to 1000 without increasing PP recovery options and while also creating lvl18. and above PA/Tech disks that deal more damage but have higher PP cost. PP will then become a factor that the player will have to manage.
    Sounds like you want PSO2 to turn from an action RPG into another tri-role MMO, where tanks have no option but to soak up hits and then the healers heal the damage while DPS finishes the enemy.

Bolding mine but my response applies to the whole quote.

BTW biggest cringe moments in the game's plot/writing came from ep 1 and 2 for me, which were the most "sci-fi" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    Sounds like you want PSO2 to turn from an action RPG into another tri-role MMO, where tanks have no option but to soak up hits and then the healers heal the damage while DPS finishes the enemy.

Bolding mine but my response applies to the whole quote.

BTW biggest cringe moments in the game's plot/writing came from ep 1 and 2 for me, which were the most "sci-fi" ones.
    While I'm not exactly a nostalgia fag, I think PSO2 story would do well to take notes from PSO1 story : I'd much rather have a very minimalist but efficient plot line than most of the horribly convoluted storylines we get.

as for enemies I actually don't have any issues about how hard/easy they are for all the most recent ones. sure there are some outdated enemies and AIs in there, but I'd say it's more linked to HP and power ratio than anything (let's all remember the triple power Gracia campaign or how solo XQ on release made Deus Hunar go from pushover to one of the most rage inducing bosses, granted partly for wrong reasons). I guess they should just start implementing more gimmicks, you could find tons of good ideas to challenge the player (temporary heal seal/slowdown/whatever obnoxious thing you may come up with fields, making HP cut impossible to anti, recycling the Zigmorde gimmick , a.k.a kill the right parts or you die, deflecting projectiles, giving some bosses counter guard abilities, the list goes on).

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrion View Post
    While I'm not exactly a nostalgia fag, I think PSO2 story would do well to take notes from PSO1 story : I'd much rather have a very minimalist but efficient plot line than most of the horribly convoluted storylines we get.
    I disagree.

I found PSO2's stories for the most part perfectly fine on a conceptual level. What I take issues with is the implementation, the scene by scene details: things being too drawn out or the opposite, too rushed; or events not being properly explained or justified so it feels like stuff happens just because; characters jobbing in a cheap way; or a scene that was supposed to be funny or dramatic but comes off as groan worthy due to how it's written.

The only exception here is the Gettemhart and Melphonsina story. It's just horrible in general, the former is a horrible character and the fact the game tries to portray him as sympathetic and dares to victim blame Melrondia is frankly disgusting.

I mentioned it: "I would suggest the removal of ARKS Quests, and their replacement/incorporation in Free Fields by special Emergency Codes."
    Oh, my mistake then.
    Anyway, I think the concept is similar to Rare Enemy Trigger. I don't remember whether you can apply a trigger to an existing instance. So it might or might not be a hassle to implement. And depends on the number of group and quest carried by each of them, there might not be enough spot in the map to place the trigger.
    Also what's the purpose for this system anyway? At first I thought it was going to be a way to shorten your dailies, but since the trigger spot is randomized, it potentially prolong the quest. Sure you can shorten them with an MPA, but the process of finding a right party at a right timing kinda defeat the purpose.
    This is something we disagree on. The reward from traversing a maze-like map would be finding your objective. Entering a map like Tokyo or Las Vegas and just randomly flying around to get your boss to spawn in 10 seconds so that you get out for your reward is (in my opinion) way too much over-arcadization. Exploring and finding random stuff, and some rare enemies or events is what keeps the game interesting and non-boring.
    Hey, I did mention Omega Hunar and Mr. Umbra. Those are rare in my opinion. Exploration is nice, it just not something I'd do while doing dailies, which is the only reason why I'm doing ARKS quest in the first place.
    And there is no need to change the map to be similar with Tokyo and Vegas. Just reducing the number of area from 3 to 2 would do.

I disagree.

I found PSO2's stories for the most part perfectly fine on a conceptual level. What I take issues with is the implementation, the scene by scene details: things being too drawn out or the opposite, too rushed; or events not being properly explained or justified so it feels like stuff happens just because; characters jobbing in a cheap way; or a scene that was supposed to be funny or dramatic but comes off as groan worthy due to how it's written.
    I think it all depends on the player to be honest. I personally liked the mystery behind the world and the supporting characters in PSO way more than the typical trope characters in PSO2. But at the same time, both games have a particular theme and the characters fit the theme of both games. PSO had a very simple story basically about survival. There was no "chosen one" that was going to save the world from some oncoming threat. Everyone had the opportunity to play a role in the bigger picture. I liked being able to find out the story on my own as well discovering Rico and Flowen's story through the caspules and side strories through side missions. Some even with recurring characters and stories that intertwined...everything wasn't a long drawn out soap opera.

While PSO2 is the opposite. The story is given to the player like seasons of a TV show and your character is there for the ride for the most part accompanying many characters that actually progress the story along. The theme is a bit more light-hearted as well.

I try not to compare the games at this point because PSO2 is drastically different but there are times I do wish the story was more self-contained and not sci-fi/space thriller then VR anime that becomes a High Fantasy story.

PSO2 basically offers the story like a soap opera ever since eps 1. But I agree that we've been stuck on a single planet per episode (if not the moon) ever since episode 3.

No, that is not my point. The point of having unavoidable damage is to give an additional axis on which players can see progress on their characters. As it is right now, we only see higher damage numbers as we improve our equipment. Now imagine if players could also find themselves receiving lower (relative to their max hp) damage as they get better equipment, which would lead to lower downtime/PP expenditure for recovery. Or they could even find a new meta where slightly reducing your own output to reduce the time you have to spend recovering yourself would end up with better overall performance.

And yes, I can see a meta emerging from such a suggestion where having one player forego output to increase recovery potency for the whole group would end up being optimal in group content.

Outside of nearly anything with Patty, Katori, lots of Zeno+Echo cutscenes, and Matoi, the rest was ok for me.
    Xiera for me in EP4 was worse than Patty, and nearly everything with Aru and generally non-combat Earth scenes were fan service. Though I did enjoy the scenes with Ardem, Aratron and Ophiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sica View Post
    Anyway, I think the concept is similar to Rare Enemy Trigger.
    Exactly. In fact, my idea was based on the way Rare Enemy Trigger functions with minor changes, because if I remember correctly any player can activate the Rare Enemy, not only the leader of the mpa that used it. Also indeed, you cannot apply it to an existing instance, the game creates a new instance when you use the Trigger.

Also what's the purpose for this system anyway? At first I thought it was going to be a way to shorten your dailies, but since the trigger spot is randomized, it potentially prolong the quest. Sure you can shorten them with an MPA, but the process of finding a right party at a right timing kinda defeat the purpose.
    The initial purpose is to replace all ARKS Quests. This really is a personal preference, but I like seeing lots of other adventurers online when I play online games. ARKS Quests create a new instance for players. With my system, the task of the ARKS Quest would be replaced in a Free Field map with Emergency Codes; the player would just have to find out where on the map he has to go. This also helps make the game look alive, and helps groups of lesser experienced people to defeat difficult bosses that can spawn, like Falz Angel and Apostolo, since the possibility of having players rush to help is higher in a map where players constantly come and go than in a 1/12 map.

Regarding the length of the quest, my suggestion actually shortens it. Right now you have to find the exit from area 1, and then the exit from area 2. In my suggestion, you just have to find the "exit" in area 1.

And there is no need to change the map to be similar with Tokyo and Vegas. Just reducing the number of area from 3 to 2 would do.
    I dislike Tokyo and Vegas maps. There is no exploration for one. On the other hand, maps like Sanctum have lots of intersections and dead ends and "demand" exploration. Which, in my opinion, should be as important as combat in a RPG.