Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Back from a long hiatus

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've played PSO2. I'm needing a break from PSOBB and PSU still isn't quite there yet.

I haven't really played much PSO2 in about 18 months or so. I've had a glance through the PSUblog for updates etc although a lot of it seems a little alien to me.

I figure I'll make a new character so I can get to grips with the game from start to finish. I wanted to ask if it's still possible to play the story from Episode 1 as I never actually played it. Is the story fully translated? Is the story a sequal to the original PSO and PSOBB storyline?

Are we up to Episode 5 now? Is Ship 2 still the place to be for english speaking players? Did challenge mode ever get revitalised?

What rarity weapons are we up to now? What rarity weapons are purchaseable in player shops?

Also, is there much end game content? I seem to recall the lack of variety was what killed PSO2 for me whenever I played it for prolonged periods. The same few quests and the 12 player parties where a few OP players are racing to the finish and the whole pace of the game felt like it left a lot of people in the lurch if they didn't keep up the pace with the group.

Anyways, I'm not sure what class to play as. I tend to play solo most of the time. I tried most of the classes, although I never capped a character. I recall Ranger with weak shot had some very OP abilities. I guess I'm looking for good AOE damage for mobs and a few very powerful abilities to take down bosses without too much drama when soloing.

Did they ever balance the PA's so that there wasn't just a select few that everyone used?

Tifa
    Desktop - Intel i7 6700K 4.0 Ghz, Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition, 16GB 3000 Mhz DDR4 RAM, Samsung 49" CHG 90 UltraWide HDR QLED Gaming Monitor

Laptop - Intel i7 2.8 Ghz (IvyBridge), ATI 7970 2 GB, 16 GB (1866 Mhz) DDR RAM, 17" Display

1 PSO2 its settle in a diferent universe compared to the previous games in which they were sttle in the same universe
    edit: you can play the history of seasons/episodes 1,2 and 3 in the omnibus quest , just do yourself a favor and avoid EP4 at all cost its bad in many and i mean "many" ways, you will constantly asking yourself why did this happen and also with tokyo , las vegas free fields is all you need to see about that season .
    2 ship 2 is still the best one to find western/occidental players and challenge mode never revived unfortunly but we have arena mode(PVP) which is also dead as far as i know
    3 15 star , and you can buy 13 star , i recomend you buy val weapons because if you fully grind it , it can be turned on a 14 star . just be sure of your main class and thats it .
    4 is still alive the end game , you can find 1 or another fool who dies in 1 shot or dont worry for themselve if survive the hit, the average players can give good asistance anyway , like me :P
    5 ranger can be a good option as antiboss class , if you want AOE you can be a force and have the techer as subclass or in the most extreme case just be a Hero class :P
    6 the PA has passed trought many changes , you can even customize them for change the way they work
    Last edited by silo1991; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silo1991 View Post
    5 ranger can be a good option as antiboss class , if you want AOE you can be a force and have the techer as subclass or in the most extreme case just be a Hero class :P
    Are you seriously implying that ranger is not good at AOE? Do you even Divine Launcher-0, bro?
    "Well, the important thing is, you were mad online about a fictional universe." - Mangini In A Bottle - io9

Seem to recall launchers being very capable at AOE and there was some sort of slow charging rifle PA that, when used in conjunction with weak shot could really deal heavy damage?

Tifa
    Desktop - Intel i7 6700K 4.0 Ghz, Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition, 16GB 3000 Mhz DDR4 RAM, Samsung 49" CHG 90 UltraWide HDR QLED Gaming Monitor

Laptop - Intel i7 2.8 Ghz (IvyBridge), ATI 7970 2 GB, 16 GB (1866 Mhz) DDR RAM, 17" Display

Quote Originally Posted by Loveless62 View Post
    Are you seriously implying that ranger is not good at AOE? Do you even Divine Launcher-0, bro?
    what no , ranger is one of my main classes of course it have good AOE with divine launcher and cosmo break , just i dont know what kind of focus the guy want and i dont like the -0 ver of divine launcher just because i like to stay in air when i fire it

in sumary the combinations with AOE you need are , RA/HU and FO/TE (focus on magic offesive build by max out the elemental bonus of the techer) ; even summoner can have good AOE with wanda/jinga and redran pets and for antiboss torim/aero , maron and melon pets

and yeah rifle PA with weak bullet deal a lot of damage

Hey hey hey! Lemme have some words here! Hero's the best! All old classes have their minuses, but not Hero!
    (Well I'm really was bitten by Stratos lol)

I really dunno about Fo/Te 'cause it's a single class I don't know how to play properly with, but Ra/Hu is average in defence, close combat (not good for Masquerade for example) and not good at fast travel (you need to switch for Launcher and use not much comfortable PA for it).

But if you play Hero you can:
    1 Counter! Only Braver and partly Hunter classes can do so, inflicting huge damage instead of taking it.
    2 Easy fast travel with Safoie-0, Flash Trick (Sword) or Talis Weapon Action teleportation.
    3 Equal powers in close and ranged combat.
    4 Easy AoE with Brightness End (Sword) which hits 360 degree 10 steps long for 50-120k each target.
    Easy ranged AoE with Brand New Star (TMG) which can be used in countering with increaced damage and getiing all left frames Invincible. BNS have a stagger btw!
    6 Vapor Bullet (Sword) have a plenty of Invincibility Frames which can save your ass in troubles.
    7 Infinitie PP without any Battery Weapons: Just spam Sword Weapon action or JA TMG weapon action for restoring much of PP right in combat.
    Almost forgot:
    8 Guaranteed 100% anti-death insurance (instead of hunter's which so-so) which can be refreshed by special skill after it's used.
    Last edited by Zulastar; Feb 12, 2019 at 04:25 PM.

A lot of that kind of went over my head, but it sounds quite sword based. What other weapons do they use?

What's the details on point 8 that you raised? From memory I seem to recall working towards the prerequisites for a hero. I'll have to have a look once the game is downloaded again.

Tifa

Quote Originally Posted by AOI_Tifa_Lockhart View Post
    A lot of that kind of went over my head, but it sounds quite sword based. What other weapons do they use?

What's the details on point 8 that you raised? From memory I seem to recall working towards the prerequisites for a hero. I'll have to have a look once the game is downloaded again.

Tifa
    While Hero does use Swords, they use a different set of PAs and normal attacks than Hunter does. In addition, their weapon action isn't a guard, it's effectively Assault Rifle coming out of your hands (sole difference being that it uses PP to attack, but the regen-to-attack ratio is generally high enough that you could just spam it if you wanted to).

The other two weapons it uses are TMGs and Talis - and like as I mentioned with Sword, they use a different set of PAs and attack animations (that are just better overall compared to that of their origin class).

Sounds OP right? Well there's a reason for that - you can't even play the class unless you've reached Level 75 in at least one of each Attack Type class (basically, either Hunter/Fighter/Bouncer, Ranger/Gunner/Braver, and Force/Techer/Summoner - you have to have hit Level 75 with one of each of those three groups; of course, this assumes nothing's changed since I last unlocked it).

As far as Point #8, the reason is that they have an Iron Will-esque "survive with 1 HP" type skill that always activates. The catch of course is that it only goes off once per quest. This means that you can easily detect people who suck if they die as a Hero - if they actually "die", they suck because they should've gotten the hint from the first proc of Hero Will.

Obviously, as I said before, you have to have a 75 in at least one class of the S-ATK (HU/FI/BO), R-ATK (RA/GU/BR) and T-ATK (FO/TE/SU) classes before you can even play Hero. Oh, and there's also the fact that you legit cannot equip a subclass while playing on it.

Zulastar makes it sound as if it's the class to end all classes, but it DOES have its weaknesses, even if they are EXTREMELY overshadowed by its strengths.

Tifa
    While Hero is mostly Sword-based, it can also use TMGs and Talis (all of which act different on Hero).

Hero has a skill, Hero Will, that is like Hunter's Iron Will (when you take lethal damage, have a chance to survive with 1HP), but instead of having a 75% chance to proc every time you take lethal damage, it will proc with a 100% rate only the first time you take lethal damage; at lv85, Hero has access to the skill Hero Refresh that will allow you to re-up Hero Will if it has already been proced.

Hero is a good, well rounded class that has smooth, easy to grasp gameplay that can still take skill to master, but it is no longer the be-all-end-all that it was when they first released it thanks to the various balances that have been done to the other classes since then.

Also, just to note, when Episode 6 is released, the unlock condition for Hero will simply be get any 2 classes to lv75.

Tifa
    for now, hero can be unlocked ir raise 1 striking class (hunter, fighter, bouncer), 1 ranged class (ranger, gunner, braver) and 1 tech class (force, techer, summoner) to lv 75, can be in diferent characters as you need gather some titles, and titles are account wide, in a couple of months, a new class will be added, and when that happens the requirement to both hero and phantom will be having 2 classes to lv 75

hero use swords, twin machine guns and talis, currently is the only class that have PAs for talis

i really din't mind episode 4, and also you can do it and gather some SG, i heard you can create a char, make it go trought all the ep4, delete it, create a new one, go trought all ep 4 againg for SG gathering, but i could be wrong