Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 178
  1. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    I could've sworn the story quests have a solo PD fight before ep 5. No matter - freeing Persona, even with Matoi's help, is a much greater achievement than just beating PD normally.
    That was added as part of the onmibus quest, which btw does that with every single boss.... and that doesn't mean you actually fight them alone, it's just because story quest is a solo quest. And if you check out the cutscene that follows that PD fight, you can see many Arks in the flower field in naberius while you talk with Xiao and Matoi - everyone was there (plus there's also that Arks level thing with the EQ version).
    Freeing persona is a great achievement, yes, but it was a risky bet that "only" needed you to weaken it to use Hitsugi's katana. It's way easier than beating it because even both guardians can't achieve that (plus don't forget Persona has restrained themself in several other occasions).

    Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    I'm not buying the "we are warriors who depend too much on photons" explanation - even if that's what Sega intended as a message then you, as a player character, never get offered an alternative to using photons, so now it feels like you're being punished for a choice you never got to make. Unless Dark Blast counts, but for some reason ep 6 seems to forget you even have that ability to begin with.
    An alternative to photons was never even considered because there was no need to, that's actually the point itself, lol. Also Dark Blast is also photon powered, no point in there - plus all the falz agreed to help us with fighting Elmir, if they aren't lending us their strength again there isn't much we can do about it. They may appear again to save us if we need it, who knows.

    Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    There's also a difference between "it wasn't going to be easy" and "your actions are meaningless and don't matter". It's a serious problem of agency and disempowerment. I know it's hard to have player agency in a game like PSO2, with a linear story - but you can at least have character agency. Which is to say, are the actions of the player character impactful and do they make a difference?

    Even as early as ep 1, there was player character agency. One of the very first things you do is take a detour to find Matoi, and I don't have to say how impactful in the long run that was. But in episode 6? All your actions were meaningless so far. If instead of participating the Guardian decided to stay home and take a nap, events would have unfolded in exactly the same way. Your presence doesn't matter, you're a passive observer. Sega tries to mask that fact by having the PC fight during cutscenes, but those fights are meaningless. You're fighting not to win but to hold the enemy off, yet the NPCs don't have any issues doing that by themselves. When Varuna retreats, it's not because of anything you did either. You fail to make a difference by getting to Sara in time - she has already failed to defend Kashina, but that also was meaningless because Xiao gets brought back anyway.

    A good storytelling practice is to remove all elements that serve no purpose. When that element is the protagonist, you know your plot has problems.
    EP1-3 we were just following Xion's wishes, she even made the matterboards for us so we could save Matoi.

    If we took a nap, let's see... Maybe the AIS wouldn't have get improved since we helped with that. Lisa wouldn't be that cooperative ('cause she is thanks to us deciding to and saving Matoi before), meaning that both Matoi and Zeno could have been killed in the mothership invasion by Mitra and who knows what else. Quna probably wouldn't have helped in Amduscia if we got to that, even if Sarah got to the core she would have got killed, or not have got the courage back to try to help Xiao...

    Yeah, story would have unfolded pretty differently. It's not hard to see that our presence and actions are full of meaning and guide many other characters, because thats what we've achieved after all these struggles and bonds we've formed - no, it's not meaningless, it's just the opposite.

  2. #142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystalwitch View Post
    An alternative to photons was never even considered because there was no need to, that's actually the point itself, lol.
    So the point is... that the player should get their shit kicked in for something they never considered, because it was a part of the plot's very premise that this thing works and is good.

    Amazing. It's like I'm watching a mecha series where suddenly new antagonists totally obliterate the good guys with their much more pragmatic machines because "humanoid robots are unrealistic, lol". Or a magical girl series where the protagonist gets sniped mid-transformation sequence. The video game equivalent of trying to enjoy a wrestling match only for someone to keep asking me "you know this is all fake, right? you know they're not fighting for real, right?" Except it's not some random smartass asking me that, but the writer.

    If we took a nap, let's see...
    I really don't know how much the Guardian's help was, since you're not a trained professional unlike the Nu-Cast Lyudmila. Pretty sure the new and improved AIS will job in 2 weeks anyway - you know, even though they were supposed to be upgraded to get around the photon problem.

    As for the other NPCs, I think they are better than to refuse to help just because their idol isn't there (okay, maybe Lisa would but then she's hardly alone, what with Harriet and all). That's who the Guardian is right now - an idol, a figurehead.

  3. #143
    Mercenary Moffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Himiko Togas basement.
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Phantasy Star Nova was supposed to be set during the same timeframe as PSO2 and they didnt use photons, they used Gran Energy instead (GP), what are the odds of seeing that return?
    I wanna be able to change the color of PA effects ;_;
    Spoiler!

  4. #144
    The Lone Gamer of the Apockalypse Zorak000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    hi
    Posts
    1,619

    Default

    the Delta Variant apparently split off from the main ARKS fleet during episode 1, which is why there's no dewmans around; that's about all I remember

  5. #145
    PSO2 Trope Curator Altiea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Jet Boots World
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    All the Gran also went away when they convinced Nova that its mission had been fulfilled. Which is unfortunate, since the Gigantes were developed specifically to fight the Photoners.
    ID: MPBLPure (Ship 2er)
    Akane Tekuro -- Proud Boots main; above average main character. Exploring Omega. Lead Chip: Matoi [S Halloween]
    Rei Sawatori - Hero. Taking a breather. Lead Chip: Darker Busters [Anniversary]
    クロナアルティア (Altiea) -- A Fighter jaded by trauma. Hanging out with the Darker Busters. Lead Chip: Celebrate Heroines [Anniversary]

  6. #146
    Mercenary Moffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Himiko Togas basement.
    Posts
    751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Altiea View Post
    All the Gran also went away when they convinced Nova that its mission had been fulfilled. Which is unfortunate, since the Gigantes were developed specifically to fight the Photoners.
    Would have been such a good time to tie nova into pso2's current plot too
    blech
    missed opportunity ;__;
    Spoiler!

  7. #147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moffen View Post
    Would have been such a good time to tie nova into pso2's current plot too
    blech
    missed opportunity ;__;
    maybe a renegade Arks recover the blueprints and recreate them like: i dont think we can ever beat the luminmechs (which i doubt)

    also this last chapter was a missed oportunity for tell us how Hi En , Hi Loga and Ko Ryu has been , hell we dont even know if they are still alive .

    another point is: i think the direction the story might take its let the dragonkin , the shironians and maybe lilipan mechs(with them could be a chance to tie PSOes) become our allies,
    Last edited by silo1991; Sep 21, 2019 at 08:59 AM.

  8. #148

    Default

    Don't forget, we're the vessel of this reality. We're the damsel in this episode. I really don't see how they will go through with this, actually.
    Oserez-vous percer le mystère de la malédiction ?
    www.hinamizawa.fr

  9. #149
    Mercenary Moffen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Himiko Togas basement.
    Posts
    751

    Default

    I'm surprised we havent asked for Phalegs help on any of this, She's the only Ep4 character i want to become more common and involved with the plot.
    Spoiler!

  10. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moffen View Post
    I'm surprised we havent asked for Phalegs help on any of this, She's the only Ep4 character i want to become more common and involved with the plot.
    no thanks , i just want to think all EP4 stuff died in the black hole of their universe ,

    maybe put phaleg as the last survivor , mmm it could work that way

    also your point of change PA colors its definily a great idea , im planning to do a corrupted magical girl outfit once etoile its release and the golden effects definilly break the atmosphere i want

Similar Threads

  1. Episode 5 Story Discussion
    By Altiea in forum PSO2 General
    Replies: 1220
    Last Post: May 30, 2019, 07:53 PM
  2. Episode 4 Story Discussion
    By Rupikachu in forum PSO2 General
    Replies: 3179
    Last Post: Feb 3, 2018, 03:20 AM
  3. [Story Discussion] Episode 1 (Yes, Spoilers)
    By Zyrusticae in forum PSO2 General
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: Jul 25, 2013, 02:13 PM
  4. PSO Episode III Story
    By Greus in forum PSO General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 2, 2003, 02:47 PM
  5. Episode 1 Ending Discussion (Spoilers)
    By Storme in forum PSO General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2002, 04:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •