Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 343505152535455 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by StreetFighter2242 View Post
    And this is one of those things that happens when you bring back a series that was not meant to continue....

Now don't get me wrong PSO from PSU to PSO2 (And Idola) was cool and all, but these are as much as they are "PS" games as Dragon Ball Super was ...Well Dragon Ball (Okay Z as well but that's another story,) And now the series has become something it never was (Semi Hentai, Waifu Party) When will the madness end? When Sega Has ruined every bit of it's reputation?? i hope not because that would really SUCK!

Let's be honest, this is getting out of hand even for a "Phantasy Star" game. But yeah,, The times and all.

But couldn't it have been with a different, ip? a new franchise? Why can they just stick to their mandate and just let the series RIP after 4?

Isn't that so hard to just LEAVE THINGS ALONE?

i'm not trying to crap on anyone's fond memories of these 3D games or the western release of PSO2 (i plan to still play it ...and maybe the other 3D games eventually,) Nor do i disregard what each game post classic has accomplished in their own right, I just hate what it's become.

Bringing back a series is one thing, but it's definitely another when you strip it of it's identity, and turn it into what it never was,
    I kinda see where you're coming from, but I think your issue starts almost solely with PSO2.

PSO EP1&2 were very well realized games in terms of their background lore and mystery, and felt very much like Phantasy Star, and while EP3 is kind of a different beast, I felt it played well in to the foundation set by the first two. PSO2 was also OK for the first couple of episodes, it was a cool vibe, being in a post-ep1&2 by about a hundred or so years environment. Where it really went off the rails was the Summoner episode when they tied it in to the anime. That's kind of when things just got really...weird.

I haven't played for a few episodes now, but that's about the time where I started thinking, "So like...I kinda miss the brooding, dark, under the hood story-telling of PSO" and got the vibe that the game was going full fan-service without shame but...the gameplay is still bar-none some of the best in the business, so that's enough to keep people playing.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Jun 21, 2019 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    I haven't played for a few episodes now, but that's about the time where I started thinking, "So like...I kinda miss the brooding, dark, under the hood story-telling of PSO" and got the vibe that the game was going full fan-service without shame but...the gameplay is still bar-none some of the best in the business, so that's enough to keep people playing.
    If it makes you feel any better episode 5 actually tied things back to the main story nicely, and episode 6 is starting off pretty dire. Heck, even episode 4 had some good moments until they killed off the most interesting character. I think the characters are where PSO2's story struggles the most honestly, the setting and story beats are usually pretty interesting.

I don't think the game's story has ever had the same presentation and tone as PSO1, but that kind of thing didn't start with PSO2. Heck, playin PSP2/i made it pretty clear to me that the game is more of a direct evolution of those two games than PSO1 or PSU.

I kinda see where you're coming from, but I think your issue starts almost solely with PSO2.

PSO EP1&2 were very well realized games in terms of their background lore and mystery, and felt very much like Phantasy Star, and while EP3 is kind of a different beast, I felt it played well in to the foundation set by the first two. PSO2 was also OK for the first couple of episodes, it was a cool vibe, being in a post-ep1&2 by about a hundred or so years environment. Where it really went off the rails was the Summoner episode when they tied it in to the anime. That's kind of when things just got really...weird.

Sometimes i wonder if that story was intentional or if they were just being lazy.

But if that's the way you see it, i won't argue.

Btw there were actually a few Fan service costumes in PSO1

And Yes i could definitely cut PSO1 some slack.....
    Last edited by StreetFighter2242; Jun 21, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

That's how it works in VGD, you simply build on what works and evolve from that, Everything that was possible was BECAUSE of PSO1 So yes it's definitely a evolution as a whole, not from specific games.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

Have you ever played the classic games? Or just PSO on ward?
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

"Phantasy Star" to me is a unique Star Wars-inspired Japanese mix of sci-fi and fantasy with vibrant aesthetics and badass characters. This applies to the entire franchise from the very first game till the very last, and it's distinct enough of an identity to care about. "Air of mystery" to me is such a superificial fluff of a quality when talking about RPGs, because it's an old and tired trope of the entire genre. The whole reason why it's a thing is because the old RPG games needed some sort of a hook for new players, because they couldn't hook in players the way other games did, which is gameplay.

I still cannot believe it's happening

Quote Originally Posted by StreetFighter2242 View Post
    Have you ever played the classic games? Or just PSO on ward?
    I've played them all, actually, albeit a bit late. I did not play them when they were current, rather, I went back and played them after playing PSO as my first exposure to the series (I'm just being honest).

I did love them all though. They are some of the best experiences I had playing retro games because I am deeply fanatical about the space-opera sci-fi-fantasy setting in games.

The way I view the evolution of the franchise is sort of like how any franchise from the 80s or 90s has evolved moving in to the post year 2000 era. Certain elements have just become more modernized, and it's anyone's right to have an opinion on what it means to modernize a thing, and whether it's a good or bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by isCasted View Post
    "Phantasy Star" to me is a unique Star Wars-inspired Japanese mix of sci-fi and fantasy with vibrant aesthetics and badass characters. This applies to the entire franchise from the very first game till the very last, and it's distinct enough of an identity to care about. "Air of mystery" to me is such a superificial fluff of a quality when talking about RPGs, because it's an old and tired trope of the entire genre. The whole reason why it's a thing is because the old RPG games needed some sort of a hook for new players, because they couldn't hook in players the way other games did, which is gameplay.

Lol you must have extreme Faith in modern Sega with the way they're taking the franchise

Despite how you guys say they screw and spend time hating on sonic.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

I've played them all, actually, albeit a bit late. I did not play them when they were current, rather, I went back and played them after playing PSO as my first exposure to the series (I'm just being honest).

I did love them all though. They are some of the best experiences I had playing retro games because I am deeply fanatical about the space-opera sci-fi-fantasy setting in games.

The way I view the evolution of the franchise is sort of like how any franchise from the 80s or 90s has evolved moving in to the post year 2000 era. Certain elements have just become more modernized, and it's anyone's right to have an opinion on what it means to modernize a thing, and whether it's a good or bad thing.

Do you as well spend have faith in Sega with the current direction of the franchise?
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12