Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3845464748495051 ... LastLast
    One that's seen too much Alucard V's Avatar

I think they are trying to justify their abusive relationship to the JPN version with the Sunk Cost Fallacy.
    Make PSO2 Great Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    i know people who played JP for 1-2yrs, stopped, saw the West release "OMG ITS COMING TO THE WEST, GET HYPED BROS!!" when they had the game installed with Eng patch etc. I dont understand this mentality, you were already on this with friends and friends of friends and for some reason THIS has to be the catalysts to play the game again despite already doing what your doing on JP but now I guess with other English players despite playing with other English players already????
    Some people just don't like to get invested in a foreign version of a game they technically aren't allowed to play. Playing on actual official english servers would make it a million times easier to just meet and communicate with random players ingame for example. It's... not that hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard V View Post
    I think they are trying to justify their abusive relationship to the JPN version with the Sunk Cost Fallacy.
    That's not how abusive relationships or the sunk cost fallacy work.

EDIT: To elaborate on this, I have no idea what you mean by abusive relationships, but I see nothing abusive about people enjoying a certain version of a game.

When it comes to the sunk cost fallacy though, the entire premise of that is continuing to spend resources on an investment (physical, psychological, or whatever), despite no-longer considering the final result of the investment worth the actual cost, simply because you consider the original investment (the sunk cost) as part of the value of the result. People staying on the JP servers because they don't care about any of the things they would get from the NA version aren't doing it because they overvalue their investment in the JP version, it's because they'd essentially be resetting and paying a new cost for no benefit they value, while losing the results of their previous investment that they still actually consider valuable. It's basically the polar OPPOSITE of the sunk cost fallacy. (continuing to stay invested in something that provided valued results instead of choosing to start investing in something that would require re-obtaining those valued results).

If you're waiting for a movie to get dubbed, and watching it subbed, then if it gets dubbed in the middle of you watching it, choosing to keep watching the sub even though you REALLY would prefer it dubbed, just because you already watched half of it that way would be a sunk cost fallacy. Choosing to keep watching the sub because you decided you aren't that interested in the dub anyway wouldn't be.

On the other hand deciding to stop watching the sub, and watching the dub because "I spent so long waiting, I can't NOT watch the dub now that it's out", despite no-longer caring WOULD be.

That said, I don't think anyone here is really doing that...
    Last edited by Kondibon; Jun 17, 2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    If that's in response to me, I know several people who love PSO but hate the direction later games went, including PSO2. There's also probably a lot of people who only played PSO or the original games and haven't kept up with the series in general. Or even better, haven't kept up with the japanese gaming market or anime otaku culture in general. They're in for a wild surprise. Whether or not it's bad doesn't matter to me, I just think it'll be fascinating.

Yes that was in direct response to your comment.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

Some people just don't like to get invested in a foreign version of a game they technically aren't allowed to play. Playing on actual official english servers would make it a million times easier to just meet and communicate with random players ingame for example. It's... not that hard to understand.
    they were already financially invested into the game, it would make no difference for them coming back and playing now since everyone knows what blocks the Eng communities hang out in and how to find teams that speak english to play with. Almost zero difference especially when you have outside sources to find and connect with people to play in game
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

can't wait for the english version to close 1 year after the launch
    P S O W
    (´_ゝ`) current chars: ジョゼフィン / ジョゼフ / リノ | playerid: ponponparapara
    died to SEGAC corporate robots on 05/01/2016, never forget

...yes players NEED to financially support this game for it to be playable beyond a year. Sadly there's no Offline mode to have when/if servers go down prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kril View Post
    they were already financially invested into the game, it would make no difference for them coming back and playing now since everyone knows what blocks the Eng communities hang out in and how to find teams that speak english to play with. Almost zero difference especially when you have outside sources to find and connect with people to play in game
    As someone who's played games where the majority of the community is english speakers. No. There's a big difference in being able to just communicate with random strangers easily. I can totally understand why that's not a priority for people, because it's not one for me either, I tend to be pretty quiet, but I'm getting sick of people telling other people what they should value in their online social experience. :I

This thread is ridiculous. Instead of talking about PSO2 coming to the west, it instead turned into a thread about having to defend yourself for being excited. It's pretty off putting as a whole on even playing the JP server if this is how to community there acts. If people are happy about this, for whatever reason, who are you to rain on their parade? Go have fun in JP. Let other people have fun on the US servers when they come out. I dont understand why this is a problem for people...
    US/EU PS2/PC:
    Mortalis - Lvl 150 Masterforce.
    Dies Irae - Lvl 136 Gunmaster.

JP:
    Exitium - Lvl 122 Gunmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortalis View Post
    This thread is ridiculous. Instead of talking about PSO2 coming to the west, it instead turned into a thread about having to defend yourself for being excited. It's pretty off putting as a whole on even playing the JP server if this is how to community there acts. If people are happy about this, for whatever reason, who are you to rain on their parade? Go have fun in JP. Let other people have fun on the US servers when they come out. I dont understand why this is a problem for people...
    I second this. Lets save ship 2

That's not how abusive relationships or the sunk cost fallacy work.

EDIT: To elaborate on this, I have no idea what you mean by abusive relationships, but I see nothing abusive about people enjoying a certain version of a game.

When it comes to the sunk cost fallacy though, the entire premise of that is continuing to spend resources on an investment (physical, psychological, or whatever), despite no-longer considering the final result of the investment worth the actual cost, simply because you consider the original investment (the sunk cost) as part of the value of the result. People staying on the JP servers because they don't care about any of the things they would get from the NA version aren't doing it because they overvalue their investment in the JP version, it's because they'd essentially be resetting and paying a new cost for no benefit they value, while losing the results of their previous investment that they still actually consider valuable. It's basically the polar OPPOSITE of the sunk cost fallacy. (continuing to stay invested in something that provided valued results instead of choosing to start investing in something that would require re-obtaining those valued results).

If you're waiting for a movie to get dubbed, and watching it subbed, then if it gets dubbed in the middle of you watching it, choosing to keep watching the sub even though you REALLY would prefer it dubbed, just because you already watched half of it that way would be a sunk cost fallacy. Choosing to keep watching the sub because you decided you aren't that interested in the dub anyway wouldn't be.

On the other hand deciding to stop watching the sub, and watching the dub because "I spent so long waiting, I can't NOT watch the dub now that it's out", despite no-longer caring WOULD be.

That said, I don't think anyone here is really doing that...
    I see what you're saying but the person used the phrase "abusive relationship" likely to imply that people have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome connection to the JP version. It means they feign wanting to remain on the JP server but actually would like to get going on the US server, which would meet your specified requisites of being a sunk cost fallacy example, it just requires more of a keen eye to identify.

People often say the opposite of how they feel, due in part because of a sunken cost. It's weird but that's just what people do.