Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
Some people just don't like to get invested in a foreign version of a game they technically aren't allowed to play. Playing on actual official english servers would make it a million times easier to just meet and communicate with random players ingame for example. It's... not that hard to understand.

That's not how abusive relationships or the sunk cost fallacy work.

EDIT: To elaborate on this, I have no idea what you mean by abusive relationships, but I see nothing abusive about people enjoying a certain version of a game.

When it comes to the sunk cost fallacy though, the entire premise of that is continuing to spend resources on an investment (physical, psychological, or whatever), despite no-longer considering the final result of the investment worth the actual cost, simply because you consider the original investment (the sunk cost) as part of the value of the result. People staying on the JP servers because they don't care about any of the things they would get from the NA version aren't doing it because they overvalue their investment in the JP version, it's because they'd essentially be resetting and paying a new cost for no benefit they value, while losing the results of their previous investment that they still actually consider valuable. It's basically the polar OPPOSITE of the sunk cost fallacy. (continuing to stay invested in something that provided valued results instead of choosing to start investing in something that would require re-obtaining those valued results).

If you're waiting for a movie to get dubbed, and watching it subbed, then if it gets dubbed in the middle of you watching it, choosing to keep watching the sub even though you REALLY would prefer it dubbed, just because you already watched half of it that way would be a sunk cost fallacy. Choosing to keep watching the sub because you decided you aren't that interested in the dub anyway wouldn't be.

On the other hand deciding to stop watching the sub, and watching the dub because "I spent so long waiting, I can't NOT watch the dub now that it's out", despite no-longer caring WOULD be.

That said, I don't think anyone here is really doing that...
I see what you're saying but the person used the phrase "abusive relationship" likely to imply that people have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome connection to the JP version. It means they feign wanting to remain on the JP server but actually would like to get going on the US server, which would meet your specified requisites of being a sunk cost fallacy example, it just requires more of a keen eye to identify.

People often say the opposite of how they feel, due in part because of a sunken cost. It's weird but that's just what people do.