Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Not considered sequels

I found out a while ago from TV tropes that one of the original series creators Reiko Kodama Doesn't consider Any of the Post Classic era Phantasy Star games to be considered sequels to the original games, now granted this came from TV tropes so I have no idea where the source came from but I was wondering what do you guys think of this?
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

They're not sequels. They're different stories set in possibly the same universe. You do not need to have played the originals to understand what's going.

Think of it as the numbered Final Fantasy games.

At this point I wouldn't even consider them the same universe, since they will not care to knot all the ends of the story, they just use the lore as they please without caring about continuity. And that's perfectly fine, you don't want to sell a game with 30 years old lore only to a few 30-40 yo players, you want to sell a new and totally independent game to as much players as possible, every single time.

Well, PSPo2i's PSO1 sidestory and Emilia&Vivienne's appearance in PSO2 have the games tied together via Subspace in what basically seems like a comics-style multiverse.

Yes, and that's why we should not consider them in the same universe, subspace is basically a means to move between universes, and Emilia changed the story of Ragol, basically nothing happened because they stopped falz before Rico was killed, which either totally removes PSO+Zero story or creates another universe (the same way PSIII creates 4 timelines/universes if all of them are canon). Until episode 4 I was considering PSO2 to be the ancient story of Great Light and Profound Darkness, until they put TOKYO SCHOOLGIRLS which totally destroys any possible connections unless there are multiple universes with multiple earths and multiple profound darkness. I don't even know if Omega has memories from the past AND future or from multiple universes where photons reach either, it makes no sense for PS1 characters to be there in a universe where the PD is basically rampant.

Yeah, I basically see it akin more specifically to DC's Multiverse and Hypertime where you may or may not have a "prime" universe that all other universes echo in some way to explain why there are similar, yet different, themes, places, and beings. That allows for things like the PS1 characters in Omega actually being representations of the PSO2 universe's versions of them (who could very well have been Photoners based on what Omega is supposed to be) rather than of the original characters. It also allows me to believe that Nyau comes from a Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew style universe in the multiverse, and he is just a member of that universe's version of the Musk Cat race.
    Last edited by Anduril; Jul 16, 2019 at 02:33 AM.

A lot of Phantasy Star Online, PSU, and PSP story seems to infer that there's an interdimensional connection between all the Phantasy Star worlds, with Dark Force (or Dark Falz whatever you wanna call him) being the chief example of an etity who can willfully cross in-between them. That's why a lot of the planets have similar names and eco-systems in alignment with those names, similar society from planet to planet with similar currency, and all that other what-not.

In PSU, there was a VR mission that was basically a recreation of data that they retrieved from a battle with Dark Falz in his middle-inter-dimensional boss fight area or whatever, and the mission was basically a remaster of a lot of the old PSO zones, ie forest, caves, mines, ruins. Then of course we have the straight up obvious gimme reference in PSP2i with Flowen and Rico.

So aside from trivia and easter eggs (iconic weapons, notably), there hasn't been such a direct connection made between the clearly-connected PSO/PSU multi-verse, and the classic Phantasy Star worlds, but I guess the natural assumption is that their connection is made in pretty much the same way given the near limitless possibilities when you're dealing with a multi-verse. If you ask me, multi-verses are kind of the lazy way to go about things, but it's not that big a deal, because I've hardly ever played Phantasy Star for the story anyway.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Jul 16, 2019 at 02:58 AM.

Multiple universes can actually have interesting connections, an example would be xenoblade 1 2, X and other Xeno games, where basically something (akin to the 2001 space odyssey monolith) from another dimension gives a lot of power, and someone even uses this power to see the birth of a new universe. They will never make a clear line between all the series, since one is square, the other namco and the other one nintendo, sega does not have that problem but they just don't care.

Gurhal is just fanservice, in the end in psp2 we just discover it's a breeding place for an ancient race to be reborn using them as hosts after 20 millennia, the fact the system is similar to algol, that there are newman and CASTs, an people named to algolian characters is pure coincidence / fanservice, and in the end I think omega is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by landman View Post
    Multiple universes can actually have interesting connections, an example would be xenoblade 1 2, X and other Xeno games, where basically something (akin to the 2001 space odyssey monolith) from another dimension gives a lot of power, and someone even uses this power to see the birth of a new universe. They will never make a clear line between all the series, since one is square, the other namco and the other one nintendo, sega does not have that problem but they just don't care.

Gurhal is just fanservice, in the end in psp2 we just discover it's a breeding place for an ancient race to be reborn using them as hosts after 20 millennia, the fact the system is similar to algol, that there are newman and CASTs, an people named to algolian characters is pure coincidence / fanservice, and in the end I think omega is the same.
    Xeno has done plenty to bridge the connections in their multiverse though and they do have that ability, because the Xenoblade games are all in their own universe by themselves. This was pretty much doubled down on with the various DLCs added, and yeah you could just say "Doesn't count, it's fan service", a lot of the smaller details of those DLC such as things said by Elma especially, indicate that while yes, it is fan service, it wasn't purpose-less.

True, they don't seemingly have the ability to link up to Xenogears and Saga, due to licensing, but either way, the connections are pretty clear given the shape of the monolith is un-touched between the games lol. There's even a bald-faced connection to Xenogears made in Xenoblade 2 text in the package with Mythra's mech model sold in Japan.

Phantasy Star edges on having a similar narrative space to work with, but it doesn't seem as though they have nearly the scope of inspiration for how they want it to play out that they would need to for the story to be...truly intriguing.

Shame though, I do remember back when PSO was current, thinking that so much of the backstory was super interesting. There's just something about large, lovecraftian webs of the unknown that really suck you in and make you want to know more, ya know.

I feel multiverses make for some more creative writing potential and help avoid writing yourself into a corner becuase of established continuity or having to ret-con stuff to fit the new stuff.
    The retconning of Gurhal as a breeding experiment for the Ancients is one of my biggest gripes as it actually killed the potential connection to the classic series established in the webcomic that they put out bridging PSUEp1 and AotI where it was stated that Humanity came to Gurhal from elsewhere in the universe (possibly via the Neo Palm in one of the endings where it isn't destroyed).
    Last edited by Anduril; Jul 16, 2019 at 12:41 PM.