Hybrid View

Default Is Phantasy Star not meant to be played for the Story?

Yo guys..... I've been thinking about something for a bit.... I've been wondering if Phantasy Star games should be played for thier stories or the gameplay (Mostly the gameplay.) because I've been having doubts if ...... Well about the story because no one exactly talks about it that much... Not to mention how some of the games is very light on it and it's really not that much to begin with.....Also I seriously don't think Sega is the Story telling type of Dev .... They just make games... Nothing more nothing less... I guess it's also for that reason that I sometimes be bothered that people gives PSO's story a bit too much credit.. I also kinda feel that no one really remembers PSO for the story... Just how fun it was.... Same with the rest.... Pre classic and post....

Sorry I just feel that Phantasy Star is just one of those series where the story is just there for the player to chew on while they play.... I don't think it was meant to be looked at deeply or examined... It just seems pretty much like a light type of story series where the main draw is the game play similar to Etrisn Odyssey and Monster Hunter (not that I mind, I've played a few titles of both franchises and they are very cool.) and that any story that exist is serviceable at best (and at times fan service ) since this is Sega we're talking about they just don't seem the the type to make deep intricately tied stories... They just make games.... If when they go the extra mile... It's a bit more than serviceable.

It just that what it seems like to me....

But seriously what do you guys think?
    Last edited by StreetFighter2242; Jul 17, 2019 at 12:42 AM.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

I know it's over a year later, but I thought I'd give this thread a little love.

I think what you're saying is probably true for the Phantasy Star Online era. I haven't played those ones much (I'm into the classic series, not so much Online) but I got a bit of a vibe that the story was just there to give context to the gameplay, not something you appreciate in its own right.

As for the classic series (I, II, III, IV), I think it doesn't have to be a binary "you either play for the story or for the gameplay". I think the stories for the classic games are quite good (and much better than some RPGs which are meant to be played for the story!) but I think Sega never forgot that they were making games. They're not like Squaresoft, who focussed on narrative and presentation at the expense of the games being fun. (In my opinion, of course.)
    The first one is a good story for the time, and while it's not exactly fine literature, it still has charm today.
    I think the second one has an excellent story, and I think most people who talk about Phantasy Star single out that one as having a great story. (It has to, because all the grinding, and those confusing dungeons, have made the gameplay age badly, lol.)
    The third one... Well, everyone knows it as the black sheep of the series, and in my opinion, that's accurate. Its story was ambitious, but doesn't come together like it should.
    I think the fourth one's story isn't as good as Phantasy Star II's story, but it's still pretty enjoyable as an RPG plot. It complements the gameplay well, so you have fun playing it, but also feel like you're achieving something bigger. It also gives a nice conclusion to the story and world from the other games.

Well, that's my defence of the stories of the classic games. I hope this is the kind of response you had in mind when you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    I know it's over a year later, but I thought I'd give this thread a little love.

I think what you're saying is probably true for the Phantasy Star Online era. I haven't played those ones much (I'm into the classic series, not so much Online) but I got a bit of a vibe that the story was just there to give context to the gameplay, not something you appreciate in its own right.

As for the classic series (I, II, III, IV), I think it doesn't have to be a binary "you either play for the story or for the gameplay". I think the stories for the classic games are quite good (and much better than some RPGs which are meant to be played for the story!) but I think Sega never forgot that they were making games. They're not like Squaresoft, who focussed on narrative and presentation at the expense of the games being fun. (In my opinion, of course.)
    The first one is a good story for the time, and while it's not exactly fine literature, it still has charm today.
    I think the second one has an excellent story, and I think most people who talk about Phantasy Star single out that one as having a great story. (It has to, because all the grinding, and those confusing dungeons, have made the gameplay age badly, lol.)
    The third one... Well, everyone knows it as the black sheep of the series, and in my opinion, that's accurate. Its story was ambitious, but doesn't come together like it should.
    I think the fourth one's story isn't as good as Phantasy Star II's story, but it's still pretty enjoyable as an RPG plot. It complements the gameplay well, so you have fun playing it, but also feel like you're achieving something bigger. It also gives a nice conclusion to the story and world from the other games.

Well, that's my defence of the stories of the classic games. I hope this is the kind of response you had in mind when you posted!
    Of course! Thank you!
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

Mostly no. If you're really itching for some lore and charismatic characters, stick to the PSU series (especially PSP2).

Quote Originally Posted by rokkuman View Post
    Mostly no. If you're really itching for some lore and charismatic characters, stick to the PSU series (especially PSP2).
    hahahahahahah.

You're quite the funny guy.

But thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by StreetFighter2242; Oct 29, 2020 at 09:47 PM.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

It has been a long time since ive been on this site and well i would like to chime in on the question statement

Phantasy Star is not a basic story it took me a while to catch on ( and i played these games when they were released) now the game is based on a few things and it has had me hooked for many years and you really have to read between the lines and remember things that happen in past games (which three of them of 1000 years apart) or something like that at least the first two are. The main characters of 1-2-4 are connected and you really have to understand why but to be honest i do love these series more than FF

(feels like im rambling )

Modern PSO2 and especially NGS are mostly about providing your waifu with new cosmetics.
    They're have a story and OG even had an interesting gameplay (NGS lacks even that).
    But MMO's major point's - socializing.